If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:I need to find out more about this 'cord cutting' thing. I have DirecTv and when I first looked into it the options were limited maybe it's improved
Cord-cutting is much easier if you live in a bigger metropolitan area with real internet service. It's a little more difficult in the Lynchburg area when you have to rely on the cable companies for internet.
My parents would have zero issue with it. They already use Comcast internet without cable TV (they have Dish). 1TB cap is well more than enough data to last a month unless all one watches is 4K programming for hours on end.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote:
ALUmnus wrote:But espn's liberalism and the body issue are the reasons I completely cut them off from my sports diet.
What's wrong with the body issue?
Naked thighs and traps.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
lynchburgwildcats wrote:
ALUmnus wrote:But espn's liberalism and the body issue are the reasons I completely cut them off from my sports diet.
What's wrong with the body issue?
Naked thighs and traps.
Did I stutter?
By Class of 20Something
lynchburgwildcats wrote:
adam42381 wrote:
lynchburgwildcats wrote: What's wrong with the body issue?
Naked thighs and traps.
Did I stutter?
Really thankful for the caption, because there is no way I could have gotten that out of lip reading.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Never like to see anyone lose job, but hopefully ESPN will be improved. Some of their on air people make me wonder how they got hired.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Does anyone know how to get the NFL Sunday Ticket without having to go through Direct TV? That would change some things for me big time. AT&T has ruined Direct TV.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
reddit/nflstreams and chromecast.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Never like to see anyone lose job, but hopefully ESPN will be improved. Some of their on air people make me wonder how they got hired.
But for the most part those are not the people who were fired. Steven A. Smith still has a job and Andy Katz does not. :cry: Apparently being really good at just one thing made you a target. They wanted to keep talent that is "versatile".
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:I need to find out more about this 'cord cutting' thing. I have DirecTv and when I first looked into it the options were limited maybe it's improved
You missed out, imo. DirecTV Now had a promotion where you received the $60 plan for $35 for as long as you maintain service PLUS a free AppleTV. It isn't perfect, and in some ways Sling is ahead, but I believe DirecTV is continuing to work on it. We are happy, especially at the price.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:
You missed out, imo. DirecTV Now had a promotion where you received the $60 plan for $35 for as long as you maintain service PLUS a free AppleTV. It isn't perfect, and in some ways Sling is ahead, but I believe DirecTV is continuing to work on it. We are happy, especially at the price.
I have the 'Mother of All Plans' with DirecTv. I also have an AppleTv
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:I have the 'Mother of All Plans' with DirecTv. I also have an AppleTv
But you don't pay $35. You can't "quit at any time" on a new plan.

There are advantages to having regular cable or satellite, but we gladly "cut the cord" 6 years ago. We are now in a position where we have a little more discretionary income than we did back then. We would gladly pay $200-$300 for ESPN during NCAAF season. This arrangement gives us that, plus much more for $420. To get something similar (meaning all of the channels we currently get that we actually want) would be at a minimum $540 for the FIRST year, then $780 the next. ($1320 for the 24 months; DTVN = $840... Oh, and taxes are included in the $840. I don't think they are in the $1320).
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:I have the 'Mother of All Plans' with DirecTv. I also have an AppleTv

There are advantages to having regular cable or satellite, but we gladly "cut the cord" 6 years ago. We are now in a position where we have a little more discretionary income than we did back then. We would gladly pay $200-$300 for ESPN during NCAAF season. This arrangement gives us that, plus much more for $420. To get something similar (meaning all of the channels we currently get that we actually want) would be at a minimum $540 for the FIRST year, then $780 the next. ($1320 for the 24 months; DTVN = $840... Oh, and taxes are included in the $840. I don't think they are in the $1320).
PM me how you did that. We are at 200 month with 4 receivers and every movie channel except the naughty ones
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
alabama24 wrote:

PM me how you did that. We are at 200 month with 4 receivers and every movie channel except the naughty ones
Post it here. It could be helpful for multiple people. We cut the cord last July, but aren't loving it so far. Need some tips.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
That's my concern. We cut the cord to save some bucks but can't see all our locals and sporting events. Antennas aren't an option
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
You missed the "you missed out" part of my post. When DirecTV first launched DirecTV NOW, they offered their $60 package for $35, plus a free AppleTV. Those who signed up get to keep their package indefinitely, as long as they don't break service. To rub it in (although I really haven't used it much), last month they through in a free year of HBO.

We were using SLING (which Dish owns) when this offer came along. Since there is no commitment, I felt comfortable jumping on board. The first couple weeks were a bit "iffy," but things are much better now. FWIW - we were paying $20 (sling orange)+$5(extra sports). Our current package with DirecTV Now provides more channels than SLING Orange + Blue ($40), plus we get the extra sports channels.

I fully admit, much of this is confusing, and there are new options every day. You can, for example, go with a Sony service (playstation?). YouTube is also offering service soon.

We don't get local channels, nor do we care to do so. We do, however, have antenna as an option.

https://www.directvnow.com/thegoodstuff ... e-channels

https://www.sling.com/service
By Class of 20Something
alabama24 wrote:You missed the "you missed out" part of my post. When DirecTV first launched DirecTV NOW, they offered their $60 package for $35, plus a free AppleTV. Those who signed up get to keep their package indefinitely, as long as they don't break service. To rub it in (although I really haven't used it much), last month they through in a free year of HBO.

We were using SLING (which Dish owns) when this offer came along. Since there is no commitment, I felt comfortable jumping on board. The first couple weeks were a bit "iffy," but things are much better now. FWIW - we were paying $20 (sling orange)+$5(extra sports). Our current package with DirecTV Now provides more channels than SLING Orange + Blue ($40), plus we get the extra sports channels.

I fully admit, much of this is confusing, and there are new options every day. You can, for example, go with a Sony service (playstation?). YouTube is also offering service soon.

We don't get local channels, nor do we care to do so. We do, however, have antenna as an option.

I use PlayStation Vue on my Roku, I don't even own a PS3 or PS4. For $35 you can't beat the sports channels. I had sling for a year before I switched to PS Vue. Sling split ESPN and Fox sports between the orange and blue packages and that forced my move. Never going back.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
alabama24 wrote:You missed the "you missed out" part of my post. When DirecTV first launched DirecTV NOW, they offered their $60 package for $35, plus a free AppleTV. Those who signed up get to keep their package indefinitely, as long as they don't break service. To rub it in (although I really haven't used it much), last month they through in a free year of HBO.

I use PlayStation Vue on my Roku, I don't even own a PS3 or PS4. For $35 you can't beat the sports channels. I had sling for a year before I switched to PS Vue. Sling split ESPN and Fox sports between the orange and blue packages and that forced my move. Never going back.
Same here, and I switched for exactly that reason too.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Yep. Still not making it easy to understand
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:Yep. Still not making it easy to understand
As I mentioned above, it's not! :?

At this point, there are many players and no one is doing it "right" yet. Who knows if/when that will happen.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
PS Vue is really the only option for sports if you get the Majors OverTheAir. $35 a month gets ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNEWS, ESPNU, (And Access to the ESPN APP For Longhorn and ACC) FS1, FS2, Big Ten Network, CSN, Comcast Sports, NBC Sports, SEC Network, MLB Network, NBA TV, NFL Network, CBS(WDBJ7), TBS, TNT. You can't beat it.
Does Vue have beIN sports? I'd much rather have that than the espn channels. If it does, I might have to ditch Sling.
By Class of 20Something
ALUmnus wrote:
PS Vue is really the only option for sports if you get the Majors OverTheAir. $35 a month gets ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNEWS, ESPNU, (And Access to the ESPN APP For Longhorn and ACC) FS1, FS2, Big Ten Network, CSN, Comcast Sports, NBC Sports, SEC Network, MLB Network, NBA TV, NFL Network, CBS(WDBJ7), TBS, TNT. You can't beat it.
Does Vue have beIN sports? I'd much rather have that than the espn channels. If it does, I might have to ditch Sling.
Yeah, They just got it a few months ago!

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm th[…]

I do most of my reading on airplanes and trains th[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]