If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

he is spot on. i think the playoffs are necessary for college football. that being said, its existence comes at a cost. and that cost is just the realization that the gaylord hotel coupon bowl doesn't really matter at all. these bowl games are typically 4 weeks after the regular seasons end which is completely absurd in and of itself.

and i agree, every game is a chance to improve your draft position. thats why players can't quit 5 games in. very few of college football players are sure top 10 picks in the nfl. you have to play to earn your way.

we are talking about generational wealth. setting your family up for a lifetime. As long as the player is getting good advice, i don't have a problem with it.

i do think however some will grow up and regret it.
I can see a top draft pick on a team that’s not in the playoffs calling it a season and skipping a meaning less bowl game. If the playoffs expand to 16 and the conference title game counts as the first playoff game it would take 4 weeks (15 games) to crown a champion. There are 41 bowl games this season.
TH Spangler wrote:I can see a top draft pick on a team that’s not in the playoffs calling it a season and skipping a meaning less bowl game. If the playoffs expand to 16 and the conference title game counts as the first playoff game it would take 4 weeks (15 games) to crown a champion. There are 41 bowl games this season.
That's what the kids from LSU and Stanford are doing.
This 'Spring League' in 2017 sounds interesting
I'd say cut the number of bowl games in half, raise the win threshold to 7 games and increase the playoff to 16 teams (conference champs and 6 at large)

Top 4 in the CFP rankings are seeds and everyone else is sorted into 4 pods. Championship of each pod is a bowl game as well as the two semifinal games with a neutral site championship game
I think conference championship games should be eliminated. For the most part they are meaningless except $$$$$$$ for the conferences.
Penn State won B10 title game, yet not in Playoffs and a team they beat who did not make title game is in playoffs. VT lost ACC title game, yet FSU, Louisville and maybe Miami got better Bowl game.
I never liked the Power 5 crap. Every D1 school should have same opportunity to win national championship, whether they are in SEC or Sun Belt Conference. The NCAA has lost control of football due to their weak leadership (actually non-leadership) and their thirst for money.
ballcoach15 wrote:I never liked the Power 5 crap. Every D1 school should have same opportunity to win national championship, whether they are in SEC or Sun Belt Conference. The NCAA has lost control of football due to their weak leadership (actually non-leadership) and their thirst for money.
What do you propose?
ballcoach15 wrote:I never liked the Power 5 crap. Every D1 school should have same opportunity to win national championship, whether they are in SEC or Sun Belt Conference. The NCAA has lost control of football due to their weak leadership (actually non-leadership) and their thirst for money.
They do at this point. But to say an undefeated SEC team and an undefeated Sun Belt team should be given equal weighting is ludicrous. Had Houston won out they would have had a shot. Plus, you have to go 5 or 6 deep in the Power Conferences until you reach some sort of parity with the top 1 or 2 schools like the Sun Belt
Not all schools put the same resources into football that others do and thus can't compete
You can't have a Hoops Style 68 team tournament because it will take too long and make everything else meaningless
TH Spangler wrote:If a P5, G5 split really happens I think you see a lot of G5's taking an even harder look at their athletic budgets. Definitely a total shake up, with new geographically tight conferences.
Absolutely. The P5 will eventually break away and do their own thing. G5 schools will HAVE to take a look at the resources they are putting into 'keeping up with The Jones's'' in football. The current model is not financially sustainable. Most of these teams that go to Bowls are losing money and resources are getting tighter and tighter. It's under this G5 Diaspora that LU has its best chance to leave the Big South. Whatever replaces the current system will absolutely have a more Geographic feel. It will also, for all intents and purposes not be all that big a jump up competitively for LU. That begs the question whether or not LU will pursue a long term strategy of being invited into whatever the P5 Club is called
I wouldn't go higher than 16 personally.

It was a bit of a joke a few years ago but that really that discussion I posted on Firehouse was my framework for a 16 team playoff:

10 conference champions
6 at large

Teams seeded 1-16 divided into respective pods

First and second round games at higher seed
Semifinals at New Years 6 bowl games
National Championship at a neutral site

With that I would like to see the number of bowl games cut in half to compensate
BJWilliams wrote:I wouldn't go higher than 16 personally.

It was a bit of a joke a few years ago but that really that discussion I posted on Firehouse was my framework for a 16 team playoff:

10 conference champions
6 at large

With that I would like to see the number of bowl games cut in half to compensate
Why 10 Conference Champs? I wouldn't put the Sun Belt Champ etc in Automatically I'd put the P5 Champs in for sure. Then add in the teams who either one the season but not the Championship Game or vice versa. This year you can make the argument that Penn St Ohio St Michigan and Ohio State would make your field. But under your scenario one would be left out for some G5 Conf Champ who's not as good
Purple Haize wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:I wouldn't go higher than 16 personally.

10 conference champions
6 at large

Why 10 Conference Champs? I wouldn't put the Sun Belt Champ etc in Automatically I'd put the P5 Champs in for sure. Then add in the teams who either one the season but not the Championship Game or vice versa. This year you can make the argument that Penn St Ohio St Michigan and Ohio State would make your field. But under your scenario one would be left out for some G5 Conf Champ who's not as good
I had also thought of going with an even 50-50 split (8 conference champs, 8 at-large), but even with 10 and 6, there is the possible scenario similar to the FCS playoffs where the CAA got I think 5 of 16 bids. Now the thing I DIDN'T include that would make a big stink is limiting a conference to 3 bids max in light of a situation like that.
Do you take the 'Division' Champ from each P5 school? That gives you 8 spots plus the Big XII champ. Leaving 7 spots open.
Then you'd have to have 4 weeks to play. Would you allow teams who lose to play in another game? Let's say I lose the first week, can I play in a 'Bowl Game' a week or 2 later?
When I posted my thread on Firehouse, the WAC still sponsored football which gave us 11 auto and 5 at large but Id rather go with something more proportional in number.

If we just kept my 10/6 plan here are the auto qualifiers:

American: Temple
ACC: Clemson
Big 12: Oklahoma
B1G: Penn State
Conference USA: Western Kentucky
MAC: Western Michigan
Mountain West: San Diego State
Pac-12: Washington
SEC: Alabama
Sun Belt: Appalachian State

If we put the win cap at 8 for at large consideration, that still keeps a very large pool of teams. I figure 28 should be plenty. Quarterfinal losers play in the NY6 that are not semifinal games. First round losers are allocated along with other bowl eligible teams to remaining 22 games
BJWilliams wrote:When I posted my thread on Firehouse, the WAC still sponsored football which gave us 11 auto and 5 at large but Id rather go with something more proportional in number.

If we put the win cap at 8 for at large consideration, that still keeps a very large pool of teams. I figure 28 should be plenty. Quarterfinal losers play in the NY6 that are not semifinal games. First round losers are allocated along with other bowl eligible teams to remaining 22 games
So who would your At Large teams be?
Id probably take Wisconsin and Ohio State from the Big 10. Florida State from the ACC, USC and Colorado from the Pac-12, and Houston from the American

With a win cap at 8 wins that leaves 48 teams across ALL of 1-A/FBS for 6 spots so youre gonna have a ton of teams even from the "power conferences" who would be passed over when the field is set
BJWilliams wrote:

Stick to Basketball.
BJWilliams wrote:Those are the conference champions Bama so those are without question.
There was nothing seriously wrong with the BCS. There is nothing seriously wrong with the 4 team playoff. There is no reason to expand. Football ≠ Basketball. Don't ruin the game, Don't ruin the regular season.
NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]

Oh, the Great Unwashed ... alumni of the Universit[…]