If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
so evidently this is a thing. or maybe not.

UNA reclassifying from DII to DI, joining the ASUN which in turn puts their FB program in the BSOUTH in 2018-ish

... discuss ...

http://www.timesdaily.com/sports/una_sp ... 5796f.html

vs.

http://d1baseball.com/news/north-alabam ... -division/

(Kendall Rogers piece)
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
That would be a good addition to Big South.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
It doesn't sound like this is a slam dunk. It has been discussed for years and has yet to come to fruition. But this would seem to be precisely why the OVC-Big South alliance was created.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:It doesn't sound like this is a slam dunk. It has been discussed for years and has yet to come to fruition. But this would seem to be precisely why the OVC-Big South alliance was created.
You mean A-Sun/Big South alliance. The OVC already plays football.
By Jonathan Carone
UNA would be a top three Big South school the second they stepped foot on the field.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
User Actions
Follow

Carl Prather
‏@CarlPratherWAFF
UNA athletics headed to Division 1 and the Atlantic Sun in all sports with football playing in the Big South?

Official word by Tuesday.
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
It's done...

http://asunsports.org/general/2016-17/r ... 1205lpw6bv

UNA moves to the Atlantic Sun in the 2018-19 season in all sports except football. For the 2018 season, they'll play football as an FCS Independent, but then move to the Big South in 2019 and play a full schedule, though their games won't count in the standings and they won't be eligible for the football conference championship until 2022 (when they become eligible for NCAA tournament berths).
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Great addition to BSC. I wish they would come for all sports.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Why?
Because they have the name Alabama in them
By Jonathan Carone
I think your post was to ballcoach, but in case it wasn't, the reason this is good for us is they're a top 5 D2 program.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I get that. He said all sports. That was my why question.
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, I see no need to bring them (or anyone else) in for all sports... To me, if you aren't able to make money off of a TV deal or get the publicity/$$$ of having multiple teams make the NCAA tournament, it makes no sense for the league to really be any bigger than it is now. 8-10 teams is perfect for the Big South as long as you are pretty certain you won't drop below 8 anytime soon (and aside from you guys, is anyone else really looking to move right now?). Why split the already-small pie into even smaller slices? Why make it harder for all of the sports at your school to get an auto bid? It isn't like adding teams adds any money/publicity to the conference.

And call me old-fashioned, but once you aren't able to play everyone twice in basketball each season (and/or everyone once in football), then your league has too many teams.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:I get that. He said all sports. That was my why question.
You have to remember ballcoach wants all BS schools to play football. He would add UNA and kick out all the non-football schools.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I never like for any school to play football in one conference and other sports in another conference. As stated earlier UNA would be a good addition to BSC in all sports.

I am still trying to figure out why BSC allowed Longwood to come in.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Because they have the name Alabama in them

BINGO ! You win a free meal at Burger King.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
WinthropEagleFan wrote:Yeah, I see no need to bring them (or anyone else) in for all sports... To me, if you aren't able to make money off of a TV deal or get the publicity/$$$ of having multiple teams make the NCAA tournament, it makes no sense for the league to really be any bigger than it is now. 8-10 teams is perfect for the Big South as long as you are pretty certain you won't drop below 8 anytime soon (and aside from you guys, is anyone else really looking to move right now?). Why split the already-small pie into even smaller slices? Why make it harder for all of the sports at your school to get an auto bid? It isn't like adding teams adds any money/publicity to the conference.

And call me old-fashioned, but once you aren't able to play everyone twice in basketball each season (and/or everyone once in football), then your league has too many teams.
My point to this part of what you said WEF is no conference should ever be set up to where you have no ability to schedule out of conference.

Its high school I know, but here in Tidewater we have a district that has 11 teams in it and the entirety of their schedules (with the occasional exception) is simply playing the other 10 teams in the district. Could you imagine the backlash if a D1 conference did that?
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:
WinthropEagleFan wrote:Yeah, I see no need to bring them (or anyone else) in for all sports... To me, if you aren't able to make money off of a TV deal or get the publicity/$$$ of having multiple teams make the NCAA tournament, it makes no sense for the league to really be any bigger than it is now. 8-10 teams is perfect for the Big South as long as you are pretty certain you won't drop below 8 anytime soon (and aside from you guys, is anyone else really looking to move right now?). Why split the already-small pie into even smaller slices? Why make it harder for all of the sports at your school to get an auto bid? It isn't like adding teams adds any money/publicity to the conference.

My point to this part of what you said WEF is no conference should ever be set up to where you have no ability to schedule out of conference.

Its high school I know, but here in Tidewater we have a district that has 11 teams in it and the entirety of their schedules (with the occasional exception) is simply playing the other 10 teams in the district. Could you imagine the backlash if a D1 conference did that?
Oh yeah, you have to have non-conference games...which is why I think there's no reason a college conference needs to be >10 teams. For football, if everyone fielded a team, that gives you a 9-game schedule, and allows you 2-3 non-conference games. Once you get too big to be able to play everyone else, it leads to issues where you don't have balanced conference schedules and you start to get disconnected with the rest of the league when you don't play certain teams in certain years. So no, I'm not advocating for elimination of non-conference games, I'm just advocating for leagues to not get over 10 teams (which I know is unrealistic, especially at the P5 level, but I see no need for FCS leagues to be bigger than that).
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
not only they're bringing in a top football program they're also bringing in the best mascot ever lol.

Leo and Una

lastly Jax State needs an invite because reading their fans/alumni reactions, they'll be eager to join :twisted:
By lawrenceq
Registration Days Posts
Interesting. I think it's a good move for them. The OVC would have made the most sense but they'll have to take what they can get for now.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
That'll put us at 7 conference games once UNA joins in 2018 barring any changes before then. that will tighten the belt as far as scheduling is concerned.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:We will have bigger scheduling concerns by then...
'SLY' reference bag de la d-----

Edit - I can't believe that got edited
By A Sea of Red
Posts Custom
lawrenceq wrote:Interesting. I think it's a good move for them. The OVC would have made the most sense but they'll have to take what they can get for now.
UNA was apparently turned down by the OVC a few years ago.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
UNA is playing in the D2 national championship game tomorrow
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]