If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Charleston Southern coach has been suspended for a game for NCAA rule violation involving contacting a recruit via social media.

Personally I think NCAA should ban social media in all aspects pertaining to recruiting, including texting.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Yes. Go back to payphones if you want to make a call kids
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I liked the "old days" of recruiting. I recall doing a filming on a recruit at Gretna, for UNC. The coach drove to Gretna to get it.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Charleston Southern coach has been suspended for a game for NCAA rule violation involving contacting a recruit via social media.

Personally I think NCAA should ban social media in all aspects pertaining to recruiting, including texting.
Texting is literally the easiest and most "reliable" way to get in contact with kids these days. They almost all have cell phones, and they are always on those things. Kids normally reply to a text within an hour from my experience with student employees for the better part of a decade. Social media is hit and miss, and the rules are still somewhat restrictive on that even though they were loosened up a bit starting in August for D1 coaches
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
While this is a pretty minor violation, it may actually work against us, It could make Chadwell somewhat less attractive as other programs consider him for future openings and result in us having to deal with him longer in the BSC
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
or we could just improve our program and beat his a$$
By Jonathan Carone
olldflame wrote:While this is a pretty minor violation, it may actually work against us, It could make Chadwell somewhat less attractive as other programs consider him for future openings and result in us having to deal with him longer in the BSC
There were rumors that's why he didn't get the Georgie Southern job and other jobs he applied for last year.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote:or we could just improve our program and beat his a$$
Oh, I agree, and I think we will this year, but there is also no doubt that down the road, as long as we are in the BSC, our job is easier if Chadwell is coaching elsewhere
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
olldflame wrote:While this is a pretty minor violation, it may actually work against us, It could make Chadwell somewhat less attractive as other programs consider him for future openings and result in us having to deal with him longer in the BSC
There were rumors that's why he didn't get the Georgie Southern job and other jobs he applied for last year.
That's a pretty lame violation. There would have to be more to it than that.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Massive turnarounds are rarely without some issues. I'm just glad we were never tagged with anything when Coach Rocco got us rolling so quickly after the Karcher era. Lord knows we have heard plenty of rumors about both the currents football & mens hoops coaches in Conway.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:That's a pretty lame violation. There would have to be more to it than that.
That's the rumor.
Just to clarify things, does the highlighting mean the rumors are there was more to it than just the "lame" social media violation :dontgetit
By Jonathan Carone
Yes. His APR is about as low as it can be without suffering penalties. He's taking chances on guys that may or may not have eligibility issues. He cut some corners to get them where they are. The question is did he just round them or did he cut them off completely?
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
You had to think a little something was afoul there. That program had nothing and he took it up really really quickly. Did their starting qb from last year graduate or is the torn acl the kid from last year?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
If it's about academics, I have no big problem personally with taking a chance on some kids who are borderline qualifiers, as long as there is no actual cheating such as doctored HS transcripts, substitute SAT takers (a la Derrick Rose) or phony classes (Tar Heel style)

Most of the serious stuff schools do to cheat at recruiting requires $$$$, which pretty much rules chucky south out

Another job which Chadwell was reportedly in the mix on was JMU I thought it was a :dontgetit when they picked the guy from El Cid if they could have hired Jamey This could explain that
Late last week down here in SC media outlets (including ESPN) began reporting that CSU had suspended HC Jamie Chadwell (and an assistant coach) after finding via internal investigation that he had committed a level III/secondary recruiting violation. The suspension will be for 1 game against Albany St. in October.
Here are a few of the reports:
Charleston Paper: http://www.postandcourier.com/20160901/ ... -violation

ESPN: http://www.espn.com/espn/wire?section=ncf&id=17443915

No big deal right? Commit the crime. Do the time. Right? Except that there has to be more to this. Also here in SC, Clemson and S. Carolina just reported a combined 36 of the same kind of violations. But there is no talk of suspensions for anyone.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-footba ... vmzez3e1ru

My thinking? You don't suspend coaches and players for these kind of violations unless there is something else. Check out this line which succinctly articulates my thoughts:
The university also announced it is conducting an internal review of possible NCAA rules violations and temporarily withholding several student-athletes from competition as a self-imposed action. The university is working with the NCAA, the conference and an outside consultant during the process.

As an astute poster over at bluehosesports.com said, "....'consultant' is code for lawyer. If you're working with the NCAA, with the conference and with a lawyer but not with your coaching staff, guess who you need the lawyer to protect yourself from?"

I could be totally off on my hunch, but the facts are damning in and of themselves. Just wanted to get some thoughts from other BS boards since it doesn't seem to have caught much traction on anyone else's.
By gobluehose
Registration Days Posts
Posted from my original thread before I knew this discussion was ongoing:

ESPN: http://www.espn.com/espn/wire?section=ncf&id=17443915

My thinking? You don't suspend coaches and players for these kind of violations unless there is something else. Check out this line which succinctly articulates my thoughts:
The university also announced it is conducting an internal review of possible NCAA rules violations and temporarily withholding several student-athletes from competition as a self-imposed action. The university is working with the NCAA, the conference and an outside consultant during the process.

As an astute poster over at bluehosesports.com said, "....'consultant' is code for lawyer. If you're working with the NCAA, with the conference and with a lawyer but not with your coaching staff, guess who you need the lawyer to protect yourself from?"

I could be totally off on my hunch, but the facts are damning in and of themselves. Just wanted to get some thoughts from other BS boards since it doesn't seem to have caught much traction on anyone else's.
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]