If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By gobluehose
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:I think this has been going on longer than just recently. What was the one circumstance to change? New compliance director.

The accounts for Fall scholarship usage at the bookstore were probably just settled and analyzed. And the brand new compliance director probably discovered her worst nightmare. After seeing it this year, she looks back and finds it's been happening for some time. Oops!

Just conjecture here...

But there's two stories here: the crime, and the reveal in I it to the public. To the new compliance director, Good old rule:
"When you're new in town, make friends before you make enemies."

Make no mistake, she didn't bank on Chadwell making so much noise about this behind the scenes, and Hank Small doesn't have the control he may have thoght he did. Truth be told, Small answers to a VP who may have thought he, too, could control this. But Chadwell has the media, namely, Gene Sapakoff in his corner. And that's given the VP, AD Small, and Ashton the compliance director more to deal with in the public arena than they ever thought.
I'm not letting Chadwell off the hook so easily. No way all the suspensions are about a new over-zealous compliance officer. Sure she is setting the tone. But Chadwell and Co. have had this coming for a while haven't they?

Last year they ran onto the field after their victory over The Citadel waving brooms and proclaiming a "sweep" in the series between the schools. That action really sets the tone with so many things Chadwell has said with the media....constantly playing the chip-on-the-shoulder-under-dog card. At the same time he's got this "Awe Shucks" southern thing going.... Like I said, I don't buy it and I have seen through it from the beginning.

Many of you older posters will remember Bobby Bentley as the brief coach at PC....flamefans raked him over the coals for this same kind of stuff. He took a team photo in front of the scoreboard after defeating VMI at VMI. He was always quoting quasi-theology about God "expanding his territory" within the context of football.....And y'all were right. He was a clown. He walked around like he owned PC. Like he didn't have to follow the rules. We ended up vacated 2 victories from the 2010 season because of shenanigans he committed in his 2 years there. Chadwell is the same guy.

And if you don't believe me yet, there this. CSU's 2016 team football shirts contain a rifle scope and cross-hairs. Inside the cross-hairs are the words "The Next 1." Really? With all of the talk of gun violence and mass shooting which have occurred in the last few years INCLUDING ONE IN CHARLESTON DURING WHICH THE MOTHER OF A CSU BASEBALL PLAYER WAS KILLED and another where a N. Charleston police officer shoots and kills a fleeing unarmed man in the back....MAYBE PUTTING SCOPE AND CROSS-HAIRS ON YOUR TEAM T-SHIRT ISN'T THE BEST MESSAGE YOU TO SEND TO THE WORLD.

But hey, what else should we expect at this point. Check out the video below

[youtube]JL1lEtbVUgk[/youtube]
This actually proves to be a positive for the Bucs season as they were already banged up by injuries and would likely have suffered more in an outmatched game. I'm sure they raced to serve the penalties this week in a game they have no chance of winning.

With that stated, this sounds like the lockerroom is in chaos.
By rjhenz
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:This is considered an extra benefit. Had CSU not punished them and had the players not paid back the money, any game they played in would include a game with an ineligible player, this making it possible they'd have to forfeit it. By taking the hard stance now, they're keeping the NCAA from looking to the past and going after those games.
I don't disagree with what you are saying. The suspending of 30+ players seems a little over the top by CSU. I don't see it unreasonable to have the players pay back the money used on non-book items as you said, and in my opinion have the athletic department have compliance meetings with all Football staff and players to go over dos and don'ts and be done with it. CSU seems to be really taking the punishment up a notch, I can't help but this there is more to this because of that. You have a very valid point and might be totally right, that CSU is just trying to keep the NCAA from going after those games so they are going to be super harsh.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
rjhenz wrote:When your AD says the following, there is more at play here than what has been said so far. This comes from the ESPN article.

"What we are trying to prevent is winning games in a particular sport that may become forfeitures in the future because players who broke the rules participated in the games,"
While the violations may seem trivial, they can still cause players to be ineligible, and those player's participation can result in forfeitures
Sly Fox wrote:This actually proves to be a positive for the Bucs season as they were already banged up by injuries and would likely have suffered more in an outmatched game. I'm sure they raced to serve the penalties this week in a game they have no chance of winning.

With that stated, this sounds like the lockerroom is in chaos.
What? If I would love to play on the biggest stage we had. I would love to measure myself against the best. How do I compare against the best on my schedule. That would suck!
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:This is considered an extra benefit. Had CSU not punished them and had the players not paid back the money, any game they played in would include a game with an ineligible player, this making it possible they'd have to forfeit it. By taking the hard stance now, they're keeping the NCAA from looking to the past and going after those games.
When you think about this in terms of the possibility that this has been going on for years and the number of games that mayhave been played by ineligible players, you could make a good argument that they will be getting off VERY easy if these self-imposed suspensions are their only penalty VERY easy
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
What if they end up with a 1 year ban on post season FB play?
By rjhenz
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
rjhenz wrote:When your AD says the following, there is more at play here than what has been said so far. This comes from the ESPN article.

"What we are trying to prevent is winning games in a particular sport that may become forfeitures in the future because players who broke the rules participated in the games,"
While the violations may seem trivial, they can still cause players to be ineligible, and those player's participation can result in forfeitures
I do realize violations can cause a player to be ineligible. They could have lesser punishment and achieve the same results. Caldwell getting suspended 1 game for a violation other coaches have made and weren't suspended for. :dontgetit Just reading about Clemson now, they got a slap on the wrist for accidentally giving recruits/prospects extra money. Dabo nothing. He reported his error to the NCAA. If NCAA isn't going to do anything about that. I can't seeing them doing anything to CSU if they report their wrong doings, have the kids pay a fine like they already are, pay the money back for the non-book items and add having more compliance meetings. That seems more than enough. Just having extra compliance briefings seemed to be enough for the NCAA in some of the stuff I was reading. Because of the harshness of the punishment, I just think there is more to this.

Again kudos to CSU for having the guts if this is them just going extra harsh to have this blow by in 2 to 3 weeks and to make sure the NCAA is off their backs for the rest of the year.
Sly Fox wrote:I'm saying from the coaching and team perspective it works out. Obviously every kid would want to play at Doak Campbell. But it will help their team stay healthier as they work toward conference play.
So you would prefer going from being possibly embarrassed with your full squad to humiliated with your back ups :dontgetit
If I was the coaching staff I'd either want them staggered or wait until I played PC or someone irrelevant
Clearly to the players it means a whole lot more than what Sly is indicating. We all know they would've gotten destroyed either way but there is always that glimmer of hope and the fact you can display your talent to a much larger audience that appeals to these players. It is being taken away from them for something that seems so trivial.
jack_sparrow81 wrote:Didn't they pull their starters early in the game last year against Alabama? Seems like they didn't even put up a fight.
Correct The FSU game probably means more to the team than Bama did because they have several players from FL As far as coaches and admin are concerned it's get paid and sustain as few injuries as possible, especially to starters
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Apparently CSU has been handling their book $$$ this way for 15 years! Pontificate all you want about the rule being trivial and stupid (I personally don't think it is) it is NOT ambiguous The money is to buy BOOKS They basically decided to interpret that as meaning "it's book money, and this is the book store, we can use it to buy anything we want there" Don't fool yourselves into thinking it was just pencils and notebooks either Check out any college bookstore and see what they sell It was all on the menu, but that really doesn't matter, the rule says BOOKS, and anything else is an impermissible benefit

Over those 15 years it's safe to say that HUNDREDS pf CSU athletes (or at least the football players No word yet on other sports) have been receiving these impermissible benefits, and collectively have played in well over 100 football games I laugh at the idea that this self-imposed penalty is "harsh" If they get off with just this, they will be way more fortunate than they deserve
The fact these suspensions ever happened is absurd in my opinion. I hate that these kids do not get to play on a stage such as offered at FSU. I understand that rules were broken.....but in today's "tech driven communication age"; I just don't see the big deal with the social media contact. As for these kids buying pens, pencils, notebooks and other class specific items with LEFTOVER scholarship money meant for "textbooks".....it is not even worthy of any commenting. Perhaps the NCAA needs to reevaluate some of their rules.
I do not like CSU, but the players should not be suspended for buying "school supplies". That is a dumb NCAA rule. I have not been to school in years, but I still think a student needs school supplies. Heck at some schools , athletes are probably given free school supplies.
rtb72 wrote:The fact these suspensions ever happened is absurd in my opinion. I hate that these kids do not get to play on a stage such as offered at FSU. I understand that rules were broken.....but in today's "tech driven communication age"; I just don't see the big deal with the social media contact. As for these kids buying pens, pencils, notebooks and other class specific items with LEFTOVER scholarship money meant for "textbooks".....it is not even worthy of any commenting. Perhaps the NCAA needs to reevaluate some of their rules.
I am going to disagree strongly here Until and unless the NCAA chooses to expand the scholarship benefit to include school supplies other than books, those supplies cannot be bought with scholarship funds, and the only reason there is "extra" money is the fact that the AD really can't know exactly how much a player's books will cost in advance, so they put an estimated amount in the bookstore account If there is money left over, it is supposed to be returned That is the rule, and it is not ambiguous or hard to understand Either they were incredibly stupid, or (far more likely) they figured they could get away with it (they did for 15 years) and if and when they got caught, people like you would give them a pass because you don't like the rule

Doesn't matter to me personally, but you are also fooling yourself if you think the things the players bought with the "extra" money were limited to school supplies
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
But can we all agree it's a stupid rule?

But if it really has been going on for 15 years that is just crazy. Dumb rule or not. Someone finally showed up that decided to enforce the rules. Even the stupid ones. So good on that person.
ballcoach15 wrote:I do not like CSU, but the players should not be suspended for buying "school supplies". That is a dumb NCAA rule. I have not been to school in years, but I still think a student needs school supplies. Heck at some schools , athletes are probably given free school supplies.
This :banghead is not just for ballcoach, but for everyone who doesn't seem to understand that we don't get to follow only the rules we like

If you haven't been inside a college bookstore recently ballcoach, you should swing bye B&N on campus sometime and see what they sell there CSU's store may not have quite that selection, but it was all on the menu for their players to buy with their "extra" book money It wasn't just pencils and notebooks
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]