If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
The fact that they are holding players out of competition is revealing IMHO You don't do that unless you are worried that their participation could result in future consequences (like forfeiting games) There could be either academic issues or more serious recruiting violations which could bring the eligibility of these players into question
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Wasn't Chadwell coaching an independent D2 school before arriving at CSU? He had no conference oversight and at the D2 level there is very little oversight of any significance. Perhaps moving into a DI conference he and his staff didn't realize they'd need to make adjustments to play by the rules.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Wasn't Chadwell coaching an independent D2 school before arriving at CSU? He had no conference oversight and at the D2 level there is very little oversight of any significance. Perhaps moving into a DI conference he and his staff didn't realize they'd need to make adjustments to play by the rules.
Chadwell was hired after spending a year at Delta State of the Gulf South conference, where he was 3-7 Before that he had a 3 year run at D2 indy N Greensboro, going 20-14 and advancing to the D2 quarterfinals in 2011 Prior to that he was an assistant at CSU for 5 years He has compiled a significantly better record at severely underfunded FCS Chuck South than he did as a D2 HC
By rjhenz
Registration Days Posts
This is getting nuts. I have a ton of questions about this. There has to be more to this. I don't see how 30+ players make this same mistake. It be curious to know which 30+ players committed this infraction (SR, JR, SOPH, Their really good players, etc)? Has this been going on for more than just this season? Was this some type of recruiting tool by Caldwell? The players that made social media comments are all SR that I have seen. Have they been doing this their whole career there and this is just coming to light? If this "use your money up on other things" was new for this year, didn't any of them think to themselves "wait a second, this is new, should we really be doing this?" They are SR, they've been there 4 years. Surely if how they spend the money is different than the past, I would think that would raise some alarms in their brain's.

Also the few players that commented on this mention they bought "electronics." This could be Nooks, Computers, etc. Some serious dough might have been used here by these players.

I think CSU is trying to get out in front of something bigger here. This just seems to shady to me how this whole thing is getting handled.
Last edited by rjhenz on September 9th, 2016, 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I think CSU should be made ineligible for BSC championship. Looks as if a lot of hanky panky going on.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Again the NCAA is so over the top ridiculous with their rules...

With that said CSU has seriously failed their players by not educating them on this stupidity. I don't get how this happens. Just read what their players are saying they seem more upset at CSU than they do at the dumb rules. That speaks volumes.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Again the NCAA is so over the top ridiculous with their rules...

With that said CSU has seriously failed their players by not educating them on this stupidity. I don't get how this happens. Just read what their players are saying they seem more upset at CSU than they do at the dumb rules. That speaks volumes.
It looks to me like this goes beyond not educating their players Somewhere along the line these kids were actually told they could do this, and I will not buy for a second it is all the fault of the book store staff It is no deep dark secret that the scholarship book money is for books only This is one of the reasons FCOA came to be
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
There's obviously more to the story here. Chadwell and an assistant have been suspended 1 game for "a recruiting violation" as CSU announced last week. These infractions that come out last night aren't recruiting in nature.
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
On its face, this seems like the CSU compliance department is big on enforcing the rules, but not very good at educating the players about them up-front...What you are/aren't allow to buy with your scholarship $$$ should be one of the first things brought up in compliance meetings w/ the players. You can disagree with the rules, but the players should definitely be made aware of them...And some of this could stem from confusion due to COA being allowed for some sports at CSU (all Big South schools do for men's/women's basketball) and not other sports (which I'm guessing they don't offer COA for football). So maybe CSU basketball players were able to purchase other supplies w/ COA stipends, but football players couldn't, and the bookstore just assumed that all of them could (not that the bookstore should be the subject matter expert when it comes to NCAA rules).
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
When I hear about stuff like this, I have to say the first thing that worries me about Liberty is our $6000 FCOA That's a really high number, and I hope our compliance people have their ducks in a row to justify it
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
WinthropEagleFan wrote:On its face, this seems like the CSU compliance department is big on enforcing the rules, but not very good at educating the players about them up-front...What you are/aren't allow to buy with your scholarship $$$ should be one of the first things brought up in compliance meetings w/ the players. You can disagree with the rules, but the players should definitely be made aware of them...And some of this could stem from confusion due to COA being allowed for some sports at CSU (all Big South schools do for men's/women's basketball) and not other sports (which I'm guessing they don't offer COA for football). So maybe CSU basketball players were able to purchase other supplies w/ COA stipends, but football players couldn't, and the bookstore just assumed that all of them could (not that the bookstore should be the subject matter expert when it comes to NCAA rules).
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe there is any chance this is confusion between book $$ and FCOA funds The scholarship book $$ is in an account at the book store, while the FCOA stipend is paid directly to the athlete, and they spend it how and where they wish I doubt if much of that FCOA $$ is being spent at the college bookstore, and what is would be cash money homie
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I think this has been going on longer than just recently. What was the one circumstance to change? New compliance director.

The accounts for Fall scholarship usage at the bookstore were probably just settled and analyzed. And the brand new compliance director probably discovered her worst nightmare. After seeing it this year, she looks back and finds it's been happening for some time. Oops!

Just conjecture here...

But there's two stories here: the crime, and the reveal in I it to the public. To the new compliance director, Good old rule:
"When you're new in town, make friends before you make enemies."

Make no mistake, she didn't bank on Chadwell making so much noise about this behind the scenes, and Hank Small doesn't have the control he may have thoght he did. Truth be told, Small answers to a VP who may have thought he, too, could control this. But Chadwell has the media, namely, Gene Sapakoff in his corner. And that's given the VP, AD Small, and Ashton the compliance director more to deal with in the public arena than they ever thought.
By Jonathan Carone
jcmanson wrote:There's obviously more to the story here. Chadwell and an assistant have been suspended 1 game for "a recruiting violation" as CSU announced last week. These infractions that come out last night aren't recruiting in nature.
My understanding is that was the illegal social media contact. It was a Level III violation that most schools just report and move on.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
jcmanson wrote:There's obviously more to the story here. Chadwell and an assistant have been suspended 1 game for "a recruiting violation" as CSU announced last week. These infractions that come out last night aren't recruiting in nature.
My understanding is that was the illegal social media contact. It was a Level III violation that most schools just report and move on.
Yeah, apparently Dabo did it at Clemson, and it didn't even register a blip on the radar
Chippy wrote:30 players, including the starting 5 in the offensive line, suspended for the FSU game. Sounds like the most trivial infraction. Spent book money on non book items at the book store. Players are upset with staff and university. Th
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
WinthropEagleFan wrote:On its face, this seems like the CSU compliance department is big on enforcing the rules, but not very good at educating the players about them up-front...What you are/aren't allow to buy with your scholarship $$$ should be one of the first things brought up in compliance meetings w/ the players. You can disagree with the rules, but the players should definitely be made aware of them...And some of this could stem from confusion due to COA being allowed for some sports at CSU (all Big South schools do for men's/women's basketball) and not other sports (which I'm guessing they don't offer COA for football). So maybe CSU basketball players were able to purchase other supplies w/ COA stipends, but football players couldn't, and the bookstore just assumed that all of them could (not that the bookstore should be the subject matter expert when it comes to NCAA rules).
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe there is any chance this is confusion between book $$ and FCOA funds The scholarship book $$ is in an account at the book store, while the FCOA stipend is paid directly to the athlete, and they spend it how and where they wish I doubt if much of that FCOA $$ is being spent at the college bookstore, and what is would be cash money homie
Thanks for the clarification...I wasn't sure of the exact mechanics of how they get the money. And like I said, the players should know not to rely on the bookstore when it comes to this sort of thing...when in doubt, they should have contacted compliance.
By rjhenz
Registration Days Posts
When your AD says the following, there is more at play here than what has been said so far. This comes from the ESPN article.

"What we are trying to prevent is winning games in a particular sport that may become forfeitures in the future because players who broke the rules participated in the games,"
By Jonathan Carone
This is considered an extra benefit. Had CSU not punished them and had the players not paid back the money, any game they played in would include a game with an ineligible player, this making it possible they'd have to forfeit it. By taking the hard stance now, they're keeping the NCAA from looking to the past and going after those games.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be be[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]