If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

32 players suspended against FSU is a nightmare, especially when 5 are the starting O-LINE. If they come out of this game with 0 injuries that will be a miracle! If they score ANY points today that will also be a miracle! FSU might as well play their entire scout team and the male cheerleaders today too.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:But can we all agree it's a stupid rule?

But if it really has been going on for 15 years that is just crazy. Dumb rule or not. Someone finally showed up that decided to enforce the rules. Even the stupid ones. So good on that person.
I'm going to be a contrarian and say it is not Especially with every school having the option of paying FCOA, it needs to be clearly defined what the athletic grant can pay for and what it can't There is no dispute as to what are the textbooks each player needs for the courses they enroll in When you get beyond that into "supplies" then you have to either have some ridiculous list of specific things, or it all becomes subjective, and there is NO indication that including school supplies would have changed the CSU situation, because the "extra" money was NOT just spent on pencils and notebooks
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:32 players suspended against FSU is a nightmare, especially when 5 are the starting O-LINE. If they come out of this game with 0 injuries that will be a miracle! If they score ANY points today that will also be a miracle! FSU might as well play their entire scout team and the male cheerleaders today too.

Latest word is it will be "only" 16 sitting out the FSU game Apparently they got the word in time and suspended 14 against Kentucky State, leaving 2 for a later date

BTW, we have 2 very active threads on this subject If possible I think they should be consolidated in the non LU sports thread
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts

But if it really has been going on for 15 years that is just crazy. Dumb rule or not. Someone finally showed up that decided to enforce the rules. Even the stupid ones. So good on that person.
No. Because there are some really cool things in University bookstores now a days.
rtb72 wrote:The fact these suspensions ever happened is absurd in my opinion. I hate that these kids do not get to play on a stage such as offered at FSU. I understand that rules were broken.....but in today's "tech driven communication age"; I just don't see the big deal with the social media contact. As for these kids buying pens, pencils, notebooks and other class specific items with LEFTOVER scholarship money meant for "textbooks".....it is not even worthy of any commenting. Perhaps the NCAA needs to reevaluate some of their rules.
The suspension of the players weren't over the impermissible contact
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:

I'm going to be a contrarian and say it is not Especially with every school having the option of paying FCOA, it needs to be clearly defined what the athletic grant can pay for and what it can't There is no dispute as to what are the textbooks each player needs for the courses they enroll in When you get beyond that into "supplies" then you have to either have some ridiculous list of specific things, or it all becomes subjective, and there is NO indication that including school supplies would have changed the CSU situation, because the "extra" money was NOT just spent on pencils and notebooks
I can see what you're saying but since there is FCOA now it seems like any money left over from buying books should be able to be used as one feels fit.

But again it is the rule and CSU looks foolish for having so many players not understand that rule.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:
I can see what you're saying but since there is FCOA now it seems like any money left over from buying books should be able to be used as one feels fit.
Why? FCOA shows why it shouldn't be permissible. Presumably the school has already paid the student FCOA, right? It isn't FCOA PLUS extra slush money.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
In this instance, I doubt very seriously the school has paid these players FCOA. I can't say for certain, though.

Big South voted to do FCOA for MBB ad WBB. And, Liberty does it in all sports. CSU is a pretty cash-strapped university.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:
thepostman wrote:
Why? FCOA shows why it shouldn't be permissible. Presumably the school has already paid the student FCOA, right? It isn't FCOA PLUS extra slush money.
CSU doesn't pay it for football from what I gather. I could be wrong though.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
As others have stated, this isn't a bad rule because in theory, it creates a system that can be applied evenly and fairly across universities. The execution of how they administer the funds obviously has much to be desired.

Obviously the rule can change and one might argue that maybe something like "up to 10% greater than the cost of books for a semester may be spent on other miscellaneous bookstore items" would be a better rule. The reality is though that the rule is clear and they violated the rule (for awhile evidently).
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
The approval of FCOA funding by the NCAA was a huge step (which they fought for years) and a good one IMHO As with anything new, there are kinks to be worked out, and the main one I see is what appears to be the "all or nothing" nature of the current system, which creates a class hierarchy of "haves" (Liberty) and "have nots" (chuck south)

CSU would be allowed to pay the same FCOA amount they currently give (by BSC mandate) to their MBB and WBB athletes to football players as well, but they can't afford it Why not allow schools with limited resources to pay a smaller stipend to help a larger group of athletes out without pretending it is enough to cover the FCOA It would be handled the same way, with the $$$ going straight to the athlete to spend how and where they choose The scholarships would stay as is, paying just for tuition, room & board and books
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Athletes on free ride, should also get free textbooks.
They do get free textbooks They don't get other school supplies

It doesn't make a lick of difference how many people think they should, that's the rule Scholarships only pay for tuition, room and board and textbooks Anything else is an impermissible benefit Players who receive impermissible benefits can be ruled ineligible, and any games they played in could be forfeited by the team
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]