If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
I didn't see a thread for this anywhere, so I hope this hasn't been mentioned before now.

Bleacher Report released a documentary on Michael Vick a couple weeks ago and it is fantastic. As a huge Vick fan, I found it quite eye-opening and inspiring. Definitely worth the time to watch.

[youtube]
[/youtube]
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I got the first autograph Vick ever signed at VT. It was on Media Day his freshman year and most people did not know who he was. A guy from Hampton area had told me he would be a better college QB than Ronald Curry. Thus I took a chance and got his autograph on a poster they gave out that day. Also got Lee Suggs, jake Houseright, Lamar Cobb and 3 others who I cannot recall.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
LUnpretty11 wrote:I didn't see a thread for this anywhere, so I hope this hasn't been mentioned before now.

Bleacher Report released a documentary on Michael Vick a couple weeks ago and it is fantastic. As a huge Vick fan, I found it quite eye-opening and inspiring. Definitely worth the time to watch.

[youtube]
[/youtube]

p.s. For someone who knows how to embed the video, have at it.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
LUnpretty11 wrote:I didn't see a thread for this anywhere, so I hope this hasn't been mentioned before now.

Not something you see very often.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:

Not something you see very often.
Depends on where you look He is definately still beloved in the ATL, and to a somewhat lesser degree in black neighborhoods across the country

I thought the piece was way too soft on Vick I for one, have little doubt that if his stupid homie had not been drivin dirty, Mike would still be fighting dogs I'll concede the point that the redemption process often begins with getting caught

How about classy Aaron Brooks painting the entire African-American community with his ugly broad brush "We look at it differently They're DOGS, they're just DOGS"

Perhaps by way of defending the one-sided nature of the piece, they ended by listing all the people and organizations who refused "multiple requests" to participate Pretty much anyone who would have had anything harsh to say about what he did, plus Allen Iverson Not sure why The Answer turned them down
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
They are JUST dogs.

I wholeheartedly disagree with dog fighting and it is a sad, sick thing.

But they are just dogs.

I thought Aaron Brooks was fantastic in the film. He brought a different perspective that nobody on this board (as far as I know) can relate to. When was the last time there was a major outcry against cock fighting? S. Carolina essentially praises the fact that cock fighting is embedded in the south and I have never heard a single story or activist group go after them. We humanize dogs as a society and therefore condemn Vick to hell because he organized something that has been going on for decades. I do not, in any way, condone what he did. But, it was an eye opening story to know why it takes place, so I now understand it.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LUnpretty11 wrote:They are JUST dogs.

But they are just dogs.

I thought Aaron Brooks was fantastic in the film. He brought a different perspective that nobody on this board (as far as I know) can relate to. When was the last time there was a major outcry against cock fighting? S. Carolina essentially praises the fact that cock fighting is embedded in the south and I have never heard a single story or activist group go after them. We humanize dogs as a society and therefore condemn Vick to hell because he organized something that has been going on for decades. I do not, in any way, condone what he did. But, it was an eye opening story to know why it takes place, so I now understand it.
You haven't been paying much attention, and probably live in an area where it is seldom if ever practiced

I live in a country where cock fighting, although not as popular as it used to be, is legal and part of the history and culture, but a lot of people even here think it is disgusting It is illegal in all 50 states (including SC) but certainly takes place in areas where there is a heavy population of latinos from countries where it is legal and popular In those areas there is PLENTY of outcry when it is brought to light

Yes dogs are dogs, not people, and I myself take issue with animal rights advocates who elevate animals to the level of humans, and sometimes it seems above them, but Brooks saying what he said in the context he said it was nothing less than a justification of what Vick did, plain and simple He was essentially voicing the feelings of the dogfighting culture that animals are no different than any other piece of property you own, and you can treat them as you please, and he did it in a way which implied those were the feelings of the entire black community

Speaking of Iverson and Brooks, think of Brooks channeling Allen's famous "practice" rant, and substitute "dogs" for "practice" and "not a person" for "not a game" If he had done that, it would at least have been entertaining (but no less WRONG)
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:Sorry. My dogs are part of my family.
Same here!
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:

But they are just dogs.

You haven't been paying much attention, and probably live in an area where it is seldom if ever practiced

I live in a country where cock fighting, although not as popular as it used to be, is legal and part of the history and culture, but a lot of people even here think it is disgusting It is illegal in all 50 states (including SC) but certainly takes place in areas where there is a heavy population of latinos from countries where it is legal and popular In those areas there is PLENTY of outcry when it is brought to light

Yes dogs are dogs, not people, and I myself take issue with animal rights advocates who elevate animals to the level of humans, and sometimes it seems above them, but Brooks saying what he said in the context he said it was nothing less than a justification of what Vick did, plain and simple He was essentially voicing the feelings of the dogfighting culture that animals are no different than any other piece of property you own, and you can treat them as you please, and he did it in a way which implied those were the feelings of the entire black community

Speaking of Iverson and Brooks, think of Brooks channeling Allen's famous "practice" rant, and substitute "dogs" for "practice" and "not a person" for "not a game" If he had done that, it would at least have been entertaining (but no less WRONG)
There are local stories with this kind of stuff, but nothing that ever garners national attention - and I would be happy to see a link if I am wrong.

I did not take Brooks comments as a justification, but an explanation for a cyclical culture that has not seen it as a problem. Also, I strongly disagree he was trying to insinuate his comments encompass the entire black community, rather something that is a major problem within the area that he and Vick grew up in.

I love my dog. His name is Sparky and he is absolutely a part of my family. With that said, he is just a dog. Let me reiterate, I think dog fighting/killing/drowning/smashing is disgusting, wrong and sick. However, like I said, it was an eye-opening story that helped me understand why it was something he/they did. There is a huge difference between wrapping my mind around something and justifying it. Understanding and justifying are not mutually exclusive.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LUnpretty11 wrote:
olldflame wrote:

But they are just dogs.

There are local stories with this kind of stuff, but nothing that ever garners national attention - and I would be happy to see a link if I am wrong.

I did not take Brooks comments as a justification, but an explanation for a cyclical culture that has not seen it as a problem. Also, I strongly disagree he was trying to insinuate his comments encompass the entire black community, rather something that is a major problem within the area that he and Vick grew up in.

I love my dog. His name is Sparky and he is absolutely a part of my family. With that said, he is just a dog. Let me reiterate, I think dog fighting/killing/drowning/smashing is disgusting, wrong and sick. However, like I said, it was an eye-opening story that helped me understand why it was something he/they did. There is a huge difference between wrapping my mind around something and justifying it. Understanding and justifying are not mutually exclusive.

Dog fighting got attention nationally because of Vick I know for a fact there are Dominican MLB players who fight cocks Most just do it here where it is legal in the off season, but somewhere along the line someone will get caught doing it in the States and become the Mike Vick of cockfighting Not as big a deal will be made about it, because Americans don't feel the same way about roosters as they do about dogs, but the laws against it are pretty much the same
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:I know someone who has eaten dog while parents were missionaries in Indonesia. It's all a cultural thing.
There's a huge difference in eating animals and making them fight to the death. I eat chicken, but have no interest in cockfighting.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:I know someone who has eaten dog while parents were missionaries in Indonesia. It's all a cultural thing.
He's also a Muslim...... :evil:
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
There's a huge difference in eating animals and making them fight to the death. I eat chicken, but have no interest in cockfighting.
Not at all justifying dog fighting rings but the whole Vick thing was blown way out of proportion.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Last I checked my wife and her family weren't Muslims. :D
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:
adam42381 wrote:
Not at all justifying dog fighting rings but the whole Vick thing was blown way out of proportion.
When a famous person\celebrity does something bad, it is always blown up Considering how this issue has been going on and swept under the rug for decades, I think it was about time

I have also eaten dog meat, and have little issue with killing any animal for food (although consuming the meat of carnivores on a regular basis is highly inefficient, and not particularly healthy) Like adam said, that is a totally separate issue from deriving pleasure from their suffering
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
Last I checked my wife and her family weren't Muslims. :D

Who knew you and the President had so much in common
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Sorry. My dogs are part of my family.
Same here!
Where y'all are from, many things are legal. :wink:
I'm 'from' Pence country. No telling where Cider is from!
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I'm from a little river town in the Mid-Ohio Valley of WV, about an hour north of Charleston: aka "almost heaven." :oldhag
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:I'm from a little river town in the Mid-Ohio Valley of WV, about an hour north of Charleston: aka "almost heaven." :oldhag
'Paddle faster, I hear banjo's!!!'
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
on my boat there is regularly a massacre of minnows, worms, leeches to satiate my hobby. i don't even eat most of the fish i catch. call me a sadist.

we HAVE humanized our pets way too much. ASPCA commercials just grind my gears considering there are children even in america that are starving to death yet these yokles are too concerned for the feral cat population to give a rip.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]