If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:
VAGolf wrote:Best player in the history of sports.
Wow that is quite the statement.
It doesn't have to be true but it is a statement
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
This was the finals that he was the closest to carrying his team to the title. However the green suspension aND bogut injury played a part too. LeBron should be thankful Irving hit that 3. I just can't put much into a sport where you can't play virtually any defense without being called for a foul and a sport that is officiated one way all year and then differently in the finals. All the grabbing and bumping on the wing is a foul all year long until the finals. The Warriors need to make an adjustment to that before next year. I still find LeBron the least likeable athlete of this generation other than maybe a rod.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Let's not take anything away from Cleveland. They earned it. It annoyed the living crap out of me how people tried to diminish golden state's championship last year.

Cleveland was the better team for this series and deserve it.

But yeah LeBron is not the greatest pro athlete ever but he is one hell of a player and finally figured out how to lead a team to a championship. This had got to br his most satisfying championship.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Curry's cockiness was his undoing during this series. The stupid behind the back pass that went out of bounds may have very well cost them the championship.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
He wasn't playing a lose during the plahoffs as he did during the season. He was playing tight and it showed.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:He is thankful for Kyrie Irving. The Warriors just collapsed. They appeared to have no urgency in their game after going up 3-1. Cleveland outplayed them for sure. GS needs to add a player that can get them easy buckets in the paint. Either posting up or slashing.
they showed for 2 straight games they were going to pound the perimeter and make gs work for every 3. because they'd then have to rely on the 2. 2 straight games, cleveland showed them that and they didn't adjust. they still almost won but still had to take ridiculous low percentage 3's from way beyond the arc.

lebron was otherworldly in that series. a good showing.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:This was the finals that he was the closest to carrying his team to the title. However the green suspension aND bogut injury played a part too. LeBron should be thankful Irving hit that 3. I just can't put much into a sport where you can't play virtually any defense without being called for a foul and a sport that is officiated one way all year and then differently in the finals. All the grabbing and bumping on the wing is a foul all year long until the finals. The Warriors need to make an adjustment to that before next year. I still find LeBron the least likeable athlete of this generation other than maybe a rod.
there are always circumstances that have to fall into place for a champion to emerge. you can attempt to discount every ring on any player in any sports finger if you want to nitpick enough.

they let stuff like that fly all year long actually. it all just depends on the ref. those refs are notorious for letting them play.

i get people still don't like lebron but its easy to see why he is what he is. if i was annointed as the next great superstar when i in jr high, not given much of a chance to be a child and make mistakes, and constantly had media around most of my adolescence, i might be not very likeable either at times.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
the greatest of all time never gets down in the series 3-1 and never needs a game 7 AND doesn't lose in the finals 4 times.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
RubberMallet wrote:the greatest of all time never gets down in the series 3-1 and never needs a game 7 AND doesn't lose in the finals 4 times.
This is an interesting debate to me. Whenever someone argues who is greater amongst LeBron and MJ, those arguing for MJ ALWAYS point to his 6-0 Finals record.

Which is better?
15 seasons
13 playoff appearances
6 Finals appearances

13 seasons
11 playoff appearances
7 Finals appearances

And LeBron's still on the back end of the prime of his career. It's fathomable that he finishes with 10+ Finals appearances.

I get that you can't beat 6-0, but MJ also lost 7 times before the Finals.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jcmanson wrote:
RubberMallet wrote:the greatest of all time never gets down in the series 3-1 and never needs a game 7 AND doesn't lose in the finals 4 times.
This is an interesting debate to me. Whenever someone argues who is greater amongst LeBron and MJ, those arguing for MJ ALWAYS point to his 6-0 Finals record.

Which is better?
15 seasons
13 playoff appearances
6 Finals appearances

13 seasons
11 playoff appearances
7 Finals appearances

And LeBron's still on the back end of the prime of his career. It's fathomable that he finishes with 10+ Finals appearances.

Jordan's Bulls also had to go up against much better competition to reach the Finals. It's what drove him to be great. Birds Celtics. Lambeers Bad Boys. Both were formidable

And what was Bill Russell's record again?
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
its a debate that can't be had yet quite frankly. lebron's teams outside of dealing with the big 3 in boston for a handful of years and a year or two of pacer trouble, he has pretty much walked through the east without much effort. those teams were nothing compared to what chicago had to trapse through early in jordan's career and in all those championship runs. celtics, pistons, pacers, orlando, knicks.....

i think ultimately that and his disappearance in a few of those finals, will be he knock on lebron. there are star studded teams in the west but straight booty in the east and its been that way for a while.

but his book isn't finished yet. lebron showed that he can be the greatest ever. 10 days ago if i had a finals to win and could pick either in their prime to go for me, it would of been jordan. after those finals? i still lean jordan but its by a thread.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
RubberMallet wrote:its a debate that can't be had yet quite frankly. lebron's teams outside of dealing with the big 3 in boston for a handful of years and a year or two of pacer trouble, he has pretty much walked through the east without much effort. those teams were nothing compared to what chicago had to trapse through early in jordan's career and in all those championship runs. celtics, pistons, pacers, orlando, knicks.....

i think ultimately that and his disappearance in a few of those finals, will be he knock on lebron. there are star studded teams in the west but straight booty in the east and its been that way for a while.

but his book isn't finished yet. lebron showed that he can be the greatest ever. 10 days ago if i had a finals to win and could pick either in their prime to go for me, it would of been jordan. after those finals? i still lean jordan but its by a thread.
Call me a hater but I don't have him on track for GOAT. I'd put him on the level with Kobe
The 2 things that are keeping him out of my list (trouble finishing going left would be a third) 1 is a consistent outside jump shot. That's been a knock on him from Day 1 and while improved its still how you game plan him. Secondly, he's had no one mentor him to teach him the game. He's pretty much done his own thing his entire career. D Wade was a solid influence on him to a point but he started to tune him out and didn't really listen that much. If he could really be a student of the game that would launch him into the stratosphere
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
jcmanson wrote:

Which is better?
15 seasons
13 playoff appearances
6 Finals appearances

13 seasons
11 playoff appearances
7 Finals appearances

Jordan's Bulls also had to go up against much better competition to reach the Finals. It's what drove him to be great. Birds Celtics. Lambeers Bad Boys. Both were formidable

And what was Bill Russell's record again?
The glory days of The Detroit Bad Boys and the Bird Celtics concluded in 1991, arguably 1990. Jordan couldn't get to the Finals until those two teams rode off into the sunset.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
Why do we feel this incessant need to compare Jordan and Lebron?

They aren't comparable.

One went to college; the other went straight to the draft. Both struggled and benefited from those decisions in unique ways.

Jordan would sit back for the first 2.5 quarters and let the game play out. Then about mid way through the 3rd quarter, he would start scoring. James starts each game off with 100% energy and is often looking to pass first.

Jordan played for an organization that had a history of success and played with the best coach in the history of the game. James has spent a majority of his career playing for the most dysfunctional organization in the league. He's never had a great coach, and has often had very poor coaches.

Jordan closed games with big shots. Lebron closes games with big blocks.

Jordan had an in your face style of leadership (one time he even punched a teammate). He would call you out if he needed to. Lebron takes a more passive approach.

Jordan played on a team that won 55 games when he left. When Lebron left Cleveland, the economy sunk. When he left Miami, they missed playoffs.

Jordan played in a much more physical era. Lebron plays in a 3 centric / metrics era.

Other than both being elite defenders, nothing about these players are the same. If you want to compare Michael and Kobe, go ahead. If you want to compare Magic and Lebron, that's fine too. Michael was great. Lebron is great. One doesn't have to be better than the other.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote: Jordan would sit back for the first 2.5 quarters and let the game play out. Then about mid way through the 3rd quarter, he would start scoring. James starts each game off with 100% energy and is often looking to pass first.
WAT
VAGolf wrote:Jordan played for an organization that had a history of success
More WAT
VAGolf wrote:Jordan closed games with big shots. Lebron closes games with big blocks.

like 1 time.

VAGolf wrote:One doesn't have to be better than the other.
way to live in the moment.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
RubberMallet wrote:
VAGolf wrote: Jordan would sit back for the first 2.5 quarters and let the game play out. Then about mid way through the 3rd quarter, he would start scoring. James starts each game off with 100% energy and is often looking to pass first.
WAT
VAGolf wrote:Jordan played for an organization that had a history of success
More WAT
VAGolf wrote:Jordan closed games with big shots. Lebron closes games with big blocks.

like 1 time.

VAGolf wrote:One doesn't have to be better than the other.
way to live in the moment.
Yep. I guess winning a division title in 1975 counts as organizational success.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
The Bulls were atrocious before Jordan. Doug Collins did a great job teaching Jordan the game and Phil did a great job taking him to the peak of his potential
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote: The glory days of The Detroit Bad Boys and the Bird Celtics concluded in 1991, arguably 1990. Jordan couldn't get to the Finals until those two teams rode off into the sunset.
the celtics were stout until the mid 90's, the knicks were championship contenders every year, and the birth of orlando and the cavs, 76ers, and pacers were basically finals contenders a few of those years too.

the east was flush with talent and good teams in the 90's. especially compared to the last 6 years of the east.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
RubberMallet wrote:
lynchburgwildcats wrote: The glory days of The Detroit Bad Boys and the Bird Celtics concluded in 1991, arguably 1990. Jordan couldn't get to the Finals until those two teams rode off into the sunset.
the celtics were stout until the mid 90's, the knicks were championship contenders every year, and the birth of orlando and the cavs, 76ers, and pacers were basically finals contenders a few of those years too.

the east was flush with talent and good teams in the 90's. especially compared to the last 6 years of the east.
You're feeding the Troll
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]