If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Jonathan Carone
Now isn't the time to talk about this, but situations like what happened at Baylor scare me about Liberty finding success at the FBS level.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:Ken Starr also fired
Starr wasn't fired. He was demoted. He's getting a soft landing as a professor.

This is much deeper than football. This is disgusting.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Ken Starr also fired
Starr wasn't fired. He was demoted. He's getting a soft landing as a professor.

This is much deeper than football. This is disgusting.
Actually, he will also be Chancellor, which is not really a demotion, but is more of a symbolic position. He was already a prof in their School of Law.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Lots of brave talk by the board about how Briles is "not irreplacable". Yeah? Then why did it take so long to pull the trigger on this? They are scared to death that the success under Briles was a one-off thing and they will now be returning to their customary position as bottom-feeders.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
At least the stadium is complete!
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Would LU have done the same thing? Discuss!
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote:Would LU have done the same thing? Discuss!
Again, this isn't just a football story. I would be very cautious with any comparisons.

Administration was discouraging people from reporting or participating in the student conduct process. Although Briles should certainly be held responsible, understand that Baylor is likely using him as the scapegoat. This goes much, much deeper.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I am not sure of Briles' role in all this , (if any). But I think Baylor can hire a Coach who can keep things going in Waco.
I hope they get a good coach.

Something like this could possibly happened at LU, but the odds are not as great as they are at many other schools. Overall, LU students and athletes have better conduct than at most schools. Most LU students are well behaved. I had a Secret Service Agent tell me they are the best behaved students he has encountered.
By Jonathan Carone
The report also found Baylor administrators actively discouraged some complainants from reporting or participating in student conduct processes and in one case constituted retaliation against a complainant for reporting sexual assault.
No.
A report from Pepper Hamilton, an outside law firm hired by Baylor last fall, found the school "failed to take appropriate action to respond to reports of sexual assault and dating violence reportedly committed by football players."
I'd hope not.

The one thing I know we'd do is cover it up and hide it behind a violation of "team/university rules" statement. That's not necessarily a bad thing. The part that concerns me is how far we would go to keep it out of the courts so that it doesn't become public record and look bad on the school. I'm think I trust our current football and basketball administration and the overall athletic administration but this is Liberty. Keeping negative behaviors under wraps is sort of what we do.
By Jonathan Carone
Asa is an ugly one. I know we suspended him and didn't try to cover it up. We let him play waaaaay too soon which was the ugliest portion of that.

Drugs and sexual assault are quite a bit different though.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Being here in Texas and following the events of the past few months in Waco very closely, I am happy to see the school finally doing the right thing. I am a big Art Briles fan going back to his HS coaching days and when I was covering his son at UT and then when he got the opportunity at UH. But this screams lack of institutional control. It may actually prove to be worse if the hoops stories I hear ever come out.

Comparing Asa's issues wit hwhat we are describing here are tangential at best. But I get what you are suggesting.

Anybody else annoyed by the references to Baylor as the largest Baptist university in America. They now have less Baptist ties than we do these days.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
The report also found Baylor administrators actively discouraged some complainants from reporting or participating in student conduct processes and in one case constituted retaliation against a complainant for reporting sexual assault.
No.
That's what the report says. Do you have information that Pepper Hamilton doesn't?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I think every team in America needs to do a better job on educating athletes on behavior issues. Also NCAA should crack down on bad behavior more. If a player is guilty of sexual assault. Kick him off the team and out of school. If anyone tries to cover it up, fire him/her and if they committed a crime themselves in process, charge him/her.
Also there should be a curfew for all college athletes. Most cases of bad behavior occur at an hour early in morning that everyone should be in dorm/Apt/etc sleeping.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I think every team in America needs to do a better job on educating athletes on behavior issues. Also NCAA should crack down on bad behavior more. If a player is guilty of sexual assault. Kick him off the team and out of school. If anyone tries to cover it up, fire him/her and if they committed a crime themselves in process, charge him/her.
Also there should be a curfew for all college athletes. Most cases of bad behavior occur at an hour early in morning that everyone should be in dorm/Apt/etc sleeping.
This has nothing to do with the NCAA, and God forbid it ever would. They can't handle the stuff they are responsible for. These are law enforcement issues, and the schools (including coaches) need to be a partner with LE in bringing criminals to justice rather than cozying up to them to help them get away with it so they can continue to play ball.

A lot of the actions you mention are exactly what Baylor eventually did. The main issue is they waited too long, probably hoping it could be swept under the rug. The biggest thing coaches can do is identify players that are likely to be problems in the recruiting process and avoid them like the plague, but there is a ton of pressure to win at any cost. I think a lot of coaches honestly believe or have rationalized that they can be the guy who turns a kid around, and the better the player, the more they believe it. Way too often they just end up being enablers.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I think every team in America needs to do a better job on educating athletes on behavior issues. Also NCAA should crack down on bad behavior more. If a player is guilty of sexual assault. Kick him off the team and out of school. If anyone tries to cover it up, fire him/her and if they committed a crime themselves in process, charge him/her.
NCAA doesn't have control over enrollment. And an NCAA mandated curfew? Are you drunk?
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Hopefully we are not losing out on Bond. I would s[…]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]