If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

They only need to get to 15k, Beej. They cleared 10k being FCS and playing Western Illinois and Bryant. They would've done it again on homecoming vs Alabama A&M if not for a hurricane. You'd get 25k or more with an ACC/SEC school (which we agree isn't happening soon). With six home games a year, I don't think it will be too much of a problem getting to that 15k level regularly. Can they go past that is the question that is hard to answer. They can get to 15k though.
Jonathan Carone wrote:Coastal doesn't need ACC schools for an attendance boost. All they need is UMass, UConn, any of the Ohio G5 schools, Marshall, or really any FBS school from Maryland to Massachusetts. They have so many northern transplants as students and local residents that playing the schools they know will instantly increase interest. Presbyterian, Gardner-Webb, and Charleston Southern doesn't register with snowbirds because they've never heard of them.
Hardley any snowbirds would give a rip about watching a Coastal football game from the north unless the have a direct connection to it (alumni, kids went there, etc.). The reason Liberty travels well is because hundreds of thousands associate with the school through the online program. They adopt the school. I don't think a competitive Liberty team would have any problems drawing 25,000-35,000 playing teams like Old Dominion, App. State, etc. That is not happening at Coastal.
LUDad wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:Coastal doesn't need ACC schools for an attendance boost. All they need is UMass, UConn, any of the Ohio G5 schools, Marshall, or really any FBS school from Maryland to Massachusetts. They have so many northern transplants as students and local residents that playing the schools they know will instantly increase interest. Presbyterian, Gardner-Webb, and Charleston Southern doesn't register with snowbirds because they've never heard of them.
Hardley any snowbirds would give a rip about watching a Coastal football game from the north unless the have a direct connection to it (alumni, kids went there, etc.). The reason Liberty travels well is because hundreds of thousands associate with the school through the online program. They adopt the school. I don't think a competitive Liberty team would have any problems drawing 25,000-35,000 playing teams like Old Dominion, App. State, etc. That is not happening at Coastal.
I agree about the snowbirds, and would add that the same will probably be true of the students. Your students need to be going to the game to support their own team. If you think having opponents from the SBC and other G5 bottom feeders instead of the BSC is going to suddenly inspire the kids who are spending their Saturdays at the beach or playing video games in the dorm to show up, I think you are mistaken.
Jonathan Carone wrote:I went to school there. I know the excuses students used to not go to football games.
And that is exactly what they were and still are; excuses (and the problem is of course not exclusive to Coastal). Change the opponents, and they will come up with new ones. Some students just don't care enough about their school's teams to support them. Among that group are the high-major snobs who are fans of some ACC or SEC team and think they are too good for "D2" football. I doubt if being in the SBC is going to convert many of them.
I don't ever see them averaging over 15K. There are going to be a couple of years of very lean times during the transition years to FBS, which won't help with the momentum. Bottom line, going to the SBC so quickly, was not a good decision for them, IMHO. If the structure of football stays the same, I suspect they will try to get back into the FBS down the road, or just stay in the SBC and not be competitive. It should be interesting to watch.
The only way I see CCU averaging 15k fans per game is if they increase their student body by 3-5k. Even then, their student attendance has been less than stellar. The issue CCU will always deal with is the very limited career opportunity and commitment to that area. The Conway/MB area is a tourist attraction, so there is very little to keep alumni around after they graduate.

I just don't see them averaging 15k fans per game over the next 3-5 years. They will probably hover around 10-13k for the foreseeable future - not much worse than playing in front of a half empty stadium.

p.s. What's the incentive to keep your students from traveling 2 hours on a Saturday to go see USC? There is very minimal culture or commitment to get excited about.
LUnpretty11 wrote:The only way I see CCU averaging 15k fans per game is if they increase their student body by 3-5k. Even then, their student attendance has been less than stellar. The issue CCU will always deal with is the very limited career opportunity and commitment to that area. The Conway/MB area is a tourist attraction, so there is very little to keep alumni around after they graduate.

I just don't see them averaging 15k fans per game over the next 3-5 years. They will probably hover around 10-13k for the foreseeable future - not much worse than playing in front of a half empty stadium.

p.s. What's the incentive to keep your students from traveling 2 hours on a Saturday to go see USC? There is very minimal culture or commitment to get excited about.

And since this is a Liberty board and we are all about bringing ourselves into conversations that are not about us...

This is what I appreciate about what JB has done. He has created a culture and commitment from the student body to get excited about going to an FCS football game. 6-8k students per game is incredible (almost CCU avg. attendance).

There is school pride in the football team that is very rare at the FCS level. So much so, Liberty travels very well to most (if not all) away games. There is loyalty, pride and commitment from students, alumni, faculty etc.
BuryYourDuke wrote:CCU doesn't have the money. The state is poor and struggling. They are asking the state (the people of SC) for a low interest loan.

The state wants them to raise money themselves. CCU wants to know a number. Why? Because it is easy to get a bunch of pledges for donations once there is a target. Collecting on those pledges? Not so easy. But then it doesn't matter because the wheels are in motion. See UAB.

If CCU could actually raise the money or afford the stadium they would have already done so. They can't. They ran to the table without washing their hands or putting on dinner clothes. Now they are mad that Mom won't serve them.
The number is pretty easy, it is $19M. Try to raise all of it, if you fall short, you are still way ahead of where you started. Lame to say, "we need a number". Not ready..........shoot........aim.
So if Coastal can't build a new FBS stadium, what happens next? Does the begging Sun Belt Conference kick them to the curb, and does Coastal come crawling back to the Big South with their high school stadium?
Jonathan Carone wrote:No. They'll put up temporary seating and other incremental changes until they get the funding.
Why put up temporary bleachers if there is no one to sit in them :evil:
CCU does have a slight problem on it's hands here. While they have increased their revenues by expanding their student body, their operating expenses have essentially kept pace and in some years actually outpaced the growth in revenue, meaning their operating margins are razor thin (as most public universities tend to be). They have used up a lot of their cash reserves for said expansion. Furthermore, they just sold $94.5 million in bonds last year and it appears as if the majority of that capital has already been "sunk" into other areas of the campus, including the installation of the teal turf a year ago. I saw on their website that they JUST kicked off a capital/endowment campaign last month with a goal to raise $20 million. Seems to me as if they know they need to prove to the state of SC that they have the financial support of their alumni for this move before the state decides to release the funds. Just a guess though.
Cider Jim wrote:So if Coastal can't build a new FBS stadium, what happens next? Does the begging Sun Belt Conference kick them to the curb, and does Coastal come crawling back to the Big South with their high school stadium?
Their stadium is not all that bad, it's just way too small for FBS. Countdown til Sly chips in on how it wouldn't meet minimum standards for Texas HS FB.
No need. That was self-evident.

I believe the bigger problem is that this situation belies the long-term challenges of operating as a state school in a state with relatively small population and bigger rivals for funding.

The odds of CCU leaving the Sun Belt in the next decade or as close to zero as you can get,
Sly Fox wrote:I believe the bigger problem is that this situation belies the long-term challenges of operating as a state school in a state with relatively small population and bigger rivals for funding.

The odds of CCU leaving the Sun Belt in the next decade or as close to zero as you can get,
So what you are saying is that despite the fact that they have no money, or prospect of getting any, they will still remain viable in the Sun Belt. Is that right?
Baldspot1 wrote:University of Miami head coach donates $1 million toward the football program's building project.

Maybe the state of South Carolina is thinking the same thing.

http://caneswatch.blog.palmbeachpost.co ... -facility/
1 - The U is a Private institution
2 - It's for the INDOOR practice facility not the stadium
3 - The U pays more than The Chickens
Purple Haize wrote:
Baldspot1 wrote:University of Miami head coach donates $1 million toward the football program's building project.

Maybe the state of South Carolina is thinking the same thing.

http://caneswatch.blog.palmbeachpost.co ... -facility/
1 - The U is a Private institution
2 - It's for the INDOOR practice facility not the stadium
3 - The U pays more than The Chickens

Ha! I'm sure his salary is direct deposited, but if this were the good old days when you got a paycheck, Moglia probably wouldn't bother cashing his checks from CCU. They would be piling up in his underwear drawer. It's been mentioned here multiple times, but he has made it clear he does not intend to give money to the school, and especially to the football program, while he is employed there. Speaking of which, I didn't realize til just now that the dude is 67 years old. I had been thinking Coastal was probably just a stepping stone to a higher profile job for him (and that still could be) but not likely at that age.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be be[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]