If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Talking about PR, I'm wondering how may port-a-potties will need to be added to match the mandatory number required with the increased seating capacity after they bring in the temporary bleachers that no one will allegedly use.

Can almost hear the opposing coach's talking to the Chants recruits: "Brooks stadium isn't a bad place to play, once you walk past the port-a-potties, and the empty bleachers, you get to play on a teal field."
There is more than one way for the CCU coach to give money for construction of the new stadium, without it being publicly acknowledged. If I were a CCU fan, I would be all for it. It would not surprise me in the least, if it were to happen.
I would suggest though if coach is looking for another gig before he retires, he might want to speed up the process. Can't see a few years of transition football being good for his future career, if indeed he desires one.
Baldspot1 wrote:Can almost hear the opposing coach's talking to the Chants recruits: "Brooks stadium isn't a bad place to play, once you walk past the port-a-potties, and the empty bleachers, you get to play on a teal field."
Now that's FUNNY!! :rofl But they still have the BEACH. 8)
Here's what's going to happen. I don't think Coach Moglia is interested in taking a team through a tough transition from FCS to FBS. If he were, I think there would have at least been 2 FBS schools on Coastal's upcomming schedule. Instead, they are preparing for the Sunbelt by playing 0 FBS schools...so Coastal should do very well this coming season, even if they sleepwalk through it! This will be a good year W & L wise, but not preparation wise. Moglia will instead pad the stats for one more year and then leave for another school...after he is out the door he will write a check to provide them some $ for the stadium, and he will look like a hero in the process. And then a new coach will then have to be hired to deal with the headache of some really tough early FBS years.
olldflame wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:So if Coastal can't build a new FBS stadium, what happens next? Does the begging Sun Belt Conference kick them to the curb, and does Coastal come crawling back to the Big South with their high school stadium?
Their stadium is not all that bad, it's just way too small for FBS. Countdown til Sly chips in on how it wouldn't meet minimum standards for Texas HS FB.
I will beat Sly to the punch. There are better high school facilities around the nation, in several sports that are better than some BSC conference schools' facilities.
alabama24 wrote:Why would he give them money if he bolts for another school? :dontgetit
The amount they need would be chicken feed to him, and it would be good PR. It would keep him from looking like he totally used CCU to get where he wanted to go. I think jimflamefan's scenario is quite possible, and the fact is if Moglia want's to make a name for himself in the coaching profession, at age 67 he doesn't have much time. I don't see it happening at Coastal in the SBC.

If they don't do really well this year with an all FCS schedule, it will be an embarassment. I don't know how many scholarship players they will have, but it is going to be well above the FCS limit. They will probably try to redshirt all of the FR though, no matter how good they are, much as App St did when they moved up.
ballcoach15 wrote:
olldflame wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:So if Coastal can't build a new FBS stadium, what happens next? Does the begging Sun Belt Conference kick them to the curb, and does Coastal come crawling back to the Big South with their high school stadium?
Their stadium is not all that bad, it's just way too small for FBS. Countdown til Sly chips in on how it wouldn't meet minimum standards for Texas HS FB.
I will beat Sly to the punch. There are better high school facilities around the nation, in several sports that are better than some BSC conference schools' facilities.
That is absolutely true, but some HS venues are in fact ridiculously nice, and rival or exceed ours as well. Brooks Stadium is a very nice little FCS facility, nothing more, nothing less. It is too small for FBS though, and anything temporary they do until they can pay for a first class expansion will make it a joke in the interum.
olldflame wrote:
alabama24 wrote:Why would he give them money if he bolts for another school? :dontgetit
The amount they need would be chicken feed to him, and it would be good PR.
Sure. So would feeding the homeless, building a home and saving puppies. I don't see it happening.
alabama24 wrote:
olldflame wrote:
The amount they need would be chicken feed to him, and it would be good PR.
Sure. So would feeding the homeless, building a home and saving puppies. I don't see it happening.

But if this guy wants to make a mark in coaching in the limited time he has, it would be smart for him not to look like he screwed CCU over. Saving puppies won't cut it for that.
olldflame wrote:
But if this guy wants to make a mark in coaching in the limited time he has, it would be smart for him not to look like he screwed CCU over.
There are two major problems with your theory.

1. Since when do most schools care about how a coach screws over the last team? When they want someone, they want someone. Loyalty means nothing. No one will think twice about it. If they think he is the right man, he will get the nod.

2. The biggest problem with your theory is so obvious, it hit you in the butt and you didn't even see it! If he wants to "make a mark" and get a "good job," he will already have the job before he needs to donate the money (as per this thread). If the argument were "he needs to make a donation NOW so he CAN get the job," that would be a different story (but still wrong... see #1).
It will all be about legacy for Moglia. He will pad the stats this year. He will then take another job at a higher profile gig, and at rhar point, since he is no longer a Coastal employee he will donate some money to help complete the stadium. It will make a great story for his book bio when he retires.
jimflamesfan wrote:It will all be about legacy for Moglia. He will pad the stats this year. He will then take another job at a higher profile gig, and at rhar point, since he is no longer a Coastal employee he will donate some money to help complete the stadium. It will make a great story for his book bio when he retires.
You already said this, but do you have inside information or are you just speculating?
ballcoach15 wrote:CCU doesn't have a tough schedule this coming season. Very weak for a FBS team. Probably weakest in the nation.
They are not an FBS team this year, but you are correct in saying their schedule is weak. Not a single FBS opponent. Weakest in the nation it is not, since they do not have any D2 opponents and do play a few quality FCS teams in Jacksonville St, CSU and Liberty. Basically they are not transitioning at all, and IMHO will be ill-prepared to handle a full FBS schedule in 2017, even in the weak SBC.
olldflame wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:CCU doesn't have a tough schedule this coming season. Very weak for a FBS team. Probably weakest in the nation.
They are not an FBS team this year, but you are correct in saying their schedule is weak. Not a single FBS opponent. Weakest in the nation it is not, since they do not have any D2 opponents and do play a few quality FCS teams in Jacksonville St, CSU and Liberty. Basically they are not transitioning at all, and IMHO will be ill-prepared to handle a full FBS schedule in 2017, even in the weak SBC.
I actually disagree here. Two years ago, CCU announced that they would no longer be going to play the 'FBS' travel games because they were always away, required expensive travel, were almost guaranteed losses, and the risk of injury to the players was too high because they had less scholarships to work with and FCS players are smaller, etc. Essentially, those games only exist for two reasons: exposure and guaranteed money. You can't knock CCU for their schedule this year, as it is in keeping with their philosophy and it was mostly set before they announced a move to the SBC. They are at no more of a disadvantage than any other FCS squad moving to FBS was previously. They will get their boost in scholarships and potentially see a higher-quality recruit become available as well. CCU Athletics, in terms of on-field success has honestly jumped ahead of us in a big way the past two years. Hopefully, we turn things around in 2016-17.
CCU plays 8 home games according to the link above. 1 away game is at GW and 1 at Presby. After September 17th, they don't travel outside the Carolinas again. Maybe isn't the easiest schedule but they certainly aren't making it hard on themselves. I think we should have pushed to play here if they wanted to keep us on the schedule.
We should have held them captive to play in Lynchburg.

I read where they were begging BCS schools to play them this season. I am surprised anyone other than LU is even playing them. By going to FBS, they should have played at least 5 FBS schools this season.
But all in all, I hope they fail at FBS and come crawling back to FCS.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]