If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

flamehunter wrote:CCU plays 8 home games according to the link above. 1 away game is at GW and 1 at Presby. After September 17th, they don't travel outside the Carolinas again. Maybe isn't the easiest schedule but they certainly aren't making it hard on themselves. I think we should have pushed to play here if they wanted to keep us on the schedule.
I suspect we agreed to play them there because unfortunately, if we ever do come under consideration for SBC membership, we will need their vote. I personally think we would get it anyway because it would be greatly to their benefit to have us in the league, but you sometimes need to pick your battles, and this probably was one better left unfought.

I can't believe they ended up with 8 home games. :roll:
I don't see how they make the 5,000 jump in attendance just by being a member of the Sun Belt. As previously mentioned, they're still going to be frozen out of the Power5 schools and relegated to the lower tier FBS schools - who aren't traveling 5,000 deep.

The only saving grace may be Coastal's proximity to the beach.
Not sure why this has been passed over all this time, but the state of SC did finally approve a 32 mil$ plan to expand Brooks Stadium in 2 phases. The first is underway, and they expect to be able to seat 15,000 for the 2017 home opener. Let's see if they can fill them. 2nd phase will come a year later with 5000 more seats and some luxury boxes. Apparently not everyone (including the governor) is happy about funding this in a state having tough times.

http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/34109709/ ... -phase-one
ballcoach15 wrote:I have never figured out how CC went FBS with their stadium issues.
The stadium itself was never really the issue. It was their attendance, and still is. We drew crowds thousands over listed capacity before (and after) expanding the Bill. They have never been able to do that in spite of all the games they have won. now they seem to think being in the SBC will magically fill those 15,000 seats. We shall see.
oldflame wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:I have never figured out how CC went FBS with their stadium issues.
The stadium itself was never really the issue. It was their attendance, and still is. We drew crowds thousands over listed capacity before (and after) expanding the Bill. They have never been able to do that in spite of all the games they have won. now they seem to think being in the SBC will magically fill those 15,000 seats. We shall see.
They can't sustain it. They will not meet FBS compliance on attendance. They aren't FBS forever.
They will be the lynchpin for the collapse of the FBS football structure we see today. It is not economically viable for them to stay FBS and they are not alone. Let us not forget UAB This will cause a seismic shift in how Division 1 football is played. I can almost foresee almost 3 Tiers of Division 1 football. P5 all by itself. Then 2 Tiers of everyone else. Those who want/can spend the money and those who can't.
It's almost that way now. The NCAA should have saw this coming years ago. But, the NCAA is money hungry, just like the conferences. I have never liked the P5 crap. All conferences should play with the same rules.
NCAA needs to get back to being about playing and trying to win a championship, not about which coach makes the most money or which school spends the most on football.
ballcoach15 wrote:It's almost that way now. The NCAA should have saw this coming years ago. But, the NCAA is money hungry, just like the conferences. I have never liked the P5 crap. All conferences should play with the same rules.
NCAA needs to get back to being about playing and trying to win a championship, not about which coach makes the most money or which school spends the most on football.
On what planet do you believe it would be possible to win a championship without spending money.......... a lot of it?

It's not happening on this one.

I just realized you are an ALABAMA fan !! Fire Saben and hire a HS coach for a couple hundred grand. That's the ticket!
ballcoach15 wrote:It's almost that way now. The NCAA should have saw this coming years ago. But, the NCAA is money hungry, just like the conferences. I have never liked the P5 crap. All conferences should play with the same rules.
They do play by the same rules. Some schools just have bigger budgets than others. Which is why I said what I said. Now, if you are going to institute a 'Salary Cap' / 'Spending Limit' on teams your favorite will be one of those hurt the worst
ballcoach15 wrote:The NCAA should have never allowed P5 schools to be separate from everyone else. NCAA is guilty of letting schools such as, Southern Cal, Michigan, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas and Notre Dame write the rules.
How are they separate than everyone else?
flameshaw wrote:CCU will never fill the new stadium unless they have a free Geritol Day. With their record of winning some pretty big games and winning the BSC, going to the playoffs, their record attendance is slightly over 10K. Pitiful.
So when they say "winning cures all ills" this is exhibit A as to why that is not at all true.
The bottom of the list:
Old Dominion 20,118
North Texas 19,878
Tulsa 19,234
Utah State 19,136
New Mexico 18,708
Nevada 18,501
UNLV 18,389
Texas State 18,120
Western Kentucky 17,705
Eastern Michigan 17,677
Buffalo 17,493
Central Michigan 17,408
Middle Tennessee 17,243
Miami (Ohio) 17,110
Florida International 16,789
South Alabama 16,250
San Jose State 15,419
Bowling Green 15,140
Georgia State 15,103
Massachusetts 14,510
Charlotte 14,192
Louisiana-Monroe 12,610
Idaho 11,190
Northern Illinois 11,019
Kent State 10,898
Akron 10,337
Florida Atlantic 10,073
New Mexico State 9,545
Ball State 7,789
A Sea of Red wrote:2016 football attendance for all FBS schools

http://www.cbssports.com/college-footba ... ight-year/
So we are already sitting 10-15 off the bottom without FBS opponents or an expanded stadium? I'll take it. I think 25k should be an easy fill with Troy, Syracuse, ODU, and Buffalo coming to town. I would be surprised if our season average is below 20k in '18 and '19.
flamesfilmguy wrote:
flameshaw wrote:CCU will never fill the new stadium unless they have a free Geritol Day. With their record of winning some pretty big games and winning the BSC, going to the playoffs, their record attendance is slightly over 10K. Pitiful.
So when they say "winning cures all ills" this is exhibit A as to why that is not at all true.
I would say 90+% of the time winning does cure all ills. However, in the case of CCU, it hasn't thus far. Realistically, there are very few in the area that have any reason to care about CCU. Most are transplants/transients and could care less. The student body seems to be more interested in pursuing other things.
I have always questioned the "draw" of CCU to student athletes. Football is not supported well, the Olympic sports are average and have average facilities, basketball has a new, but small arena and no following. The only exceptions seem to be baseball and golf.
I lived a lot closer to the beach than CCU is and in reality after a couple of years, it loses it's fascination. Myrtle Beach proper, is less and less desirable every year. property values have fallen significantly. Things are run down and dirty for the most part and the traffic is horrible.
My .02.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]