If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Ok look it. Since I've had some time at home I've gotten to see the Cubs play. I loved Joe Maddon before. Now I am in 'coach crush' mode with the guy. He reminds me of Don Nelson back in the day in the NBA. I love the way they both approach coaching. But The Cubs have solid talent. They don't have Huge names but he makes a lot of really good players play extremely well together. You take his personality, the way it has spread to the team, add in all the quirkiness of Wrigley Field and Cubs fan like me....I hate to say it....but the Cubs have a shot this year.
Plus, I love his Maddonisms. You can buy them on T-Shirts and part of the proceeds go to his foundation!
http://www.korkedbaseball.com/collectio ... 6465339396
'Do Simple Better'
'Try Not To Suck'
'Embrace The Target'

Finally, people think that the World would end when the Cubs win the Workd Series. And people think the World is coming to an end since Trump is the Republican nominee. So.....
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
24-6. They could play .500 ball the rest of the way an still end up with 92 wins.
What's crazy is that all of this is happening while Schwarber is done for the year, Montero is on the DL, and Heyward and Soler are racing to see who can get their batting average below .100 first.

Oh, and I'm already banking on the Cubs winning in October so I won't have to even think about election night.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
01LUGrad wrote:24-6. They could play .500 ball the rest of the way an still end up with 92 wins.
What's crazy is that all of this is happening while Schwarber is done for the year, Montero is on the DL, and Heyward and Soler are racing to see who can get their batting average below .100 first.

Oh, and I'm already banking on the Cubs winning in October so I won't have to even think about election night.
Well the election is still in November. So you will have time to finish some last minute prepping for the end of the World!
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Maddon is a good manager, but he was tampered with to get to the Cubs. I get tired of the media harping on the Cub fans. back when they were in playoffs last time and the fan messed with the foul ball, I was glad too see what happened because of the way the media (TV) was drooling over the fans and were showing more action in bleachers than what was happening on the field. The Cubs have some loyal fans, but so do the Padres.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Maddon is a good manager, but he was tampered with to get to the Cubs. I get tired of the media harping on the Cub fans. back when they were in playoffs last time and the fan messed with the foul ball, I was glad too see what happened because of the way the media (TV) was drooling over the fans and were showing more action in bleachers than what was happening on the field. The Cubs have some loyal fans, but so do the Padres.
The Cub Fan is the most loyal fan in the History of Baseball. At least Red Sox fans have a World Series win in the last 100 years.
The Padres. Please.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
If one can stick with a team like the Cubs I would say they are pretty loyal. I once felt bad for the Red Sox fans too but then they became what they hate, Yankee fans.

Anyways as a Rays fan I think it is comical that the tampering thing is even brought up. There may have been some tampering, who knows, but Joe was going to leave anyways.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
they have the pieces for offense. and can take some injury hits. the issue boils down to healthy pitching. if they can keep it healthy, thats where we begin to get serious about the post season run. and not even just this year. the point of this built team is to get as many chances at the apple as possible and they've succeeded at least to this point.

i'm pretty skeptical still but the only remnants of the old cubs is the turd of a stadium they are doing a decent job of polishing. the ownership, front office, and players are all new.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
RubberMallet wrote:they have the pieces for offense. and can take some injury hits. the issue boils down to healthy pitching. if they can keep it healthy, thats where we begin to get serious about the post season run. and not even just this year. the point of this built team is to get as many chances at the apple as possible and they've succeeded at least to this point.

i'm pretty skeptical still but the only remnants of the old cubs is the turd of a stadium they are doing a decent job of polishing. the ownership, front office, and players are all new.
I trust Trevor 'Ham Sammich' Cahill in Middle Relief. I don't trust any closer yet
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
Rondon has been petty much lights out...if he can ever get a save opportunity. The middle relief is a little bit of a concern, but they do go through long stretches where they look really dominant.
I'll be really interested to see what Theo and Jed pull out of the hat at the trade deadline. A young TOR rotation pitcher under team control would be ideal and the farm system is loaded with nice trade pieces that are blocked by the young core at the big league level.
I'm a 4th generation Cubs fan who has dreamed of seeing just one title come to the North Side. Now I'm starting to think this team has a chance at several years of complete dominance. One step at a time, though!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
01LUGrad wrote:Rondon has been petty much lights out...if he can ever get a save opportunity. The middle relief is a little bit of a concern, but they do go through long stretches where they look really dominant.
I'll be really interested to see what Theo and Jed pull out of the hat at the trade deadline. A young TOR rotation pitcher under team control would be ideal and the farm system is loaded with nice trade pieces that are blocked by the young core at the big league level.
I'm a 4th generation Cubs fan who has dreamed of seeing just one title come to the North Side. Now I'm starting to think this team has a chance at several years of complete dominance. One step at a time, though!
Don't be hatin on Ham Sammich. He's great in Middle Relief!
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
their relief has very much been middle of the road but they've excelled everywhere else that its not mattered much. but we know they will get more relief pitching. its inevitable. and whats nice is that you have confidence, they'll probably get the right guy at the right price and it will not only impact this year but years to come.

people i hear keep waiting for the bottom to drop out. if losing schwarber wasn't a bottom dropping out and having to go 2-3 weeks with ross at catcher wasn't either (montero is one of the best pitch framers in baseball), i don't know how it could get worse. you still have a few guys who are a bit cold on that lineup as well. for a team putting up these many runs, their avg and hr count is very low. noone outside of fowler is hitting above grade, and heyward is a late bloomer and soler i imagine will rise above the mendoza line at some point.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I know but as Cubs fans e have history as our guide. I posted this because I was high on pain meds! I just hope it didn't jinx them!
But I agree. I am usually not optimistic unless they are relevant after July 4 but they are finding ways to win regardless of what comes their way. IF everyone clicks at the same time it could be scary
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
The Cubs are legit and have a great shot at winning the next several years. My Red Sox are playing great baseball, but I don't think it's sustainable long term without a couple better arms in the rotation. The amount of talented young players in the league right now is really exciting. Baseball is a lot of fun right now.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:I know but as Cubs fans e have history as our guide. I posted this because I was high on pain meds! I just hope it didn't jinx them!
But I agree. I am usually not optimistic unless they are relevant after July 4 but they are finding ways to win regardless of what comes their way. IF everyone clicks at the same time it could be scary
it will be interesting as the season moves along. people are speculating that the cubs are already getting bored with winning. destroying turd teams effortlessly. but playing with tenacity when good teams come along. they worry it could come back and bite them. but for me its about pacing yourself. its a long season and you have to be ok losing 60 games to still get to winning 100 right?
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
i just hope we sweep those little baby girl rangers in july.
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
So, it's September 16. The Cubs are 94-53 (41 games over .500) and clinched the division last night (with a 17 game lead on St. Louis).
Obviously, nothing in October is a sure-thing, but goodness, these guys can play baseball. The trick for Joe will be balancing needed rest with the necessity of keeping everyone sharp over the next couple of weeks.
Buckle up. It might actually happen.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
01LUGrad wrote:So, it's September 16. The Cubs are 94-53 (41 games over .500) and clinched the division last night (with a 17 game lead on St. Louis).
Obviously, nothing in October is a sure-thing, but goodness, these guys can play baseball. The trick for Joe will be balancing needed rest with the necessity of keeping everyone sharp over the next couple of weeks.
Take your jinxes and your sorcery elsewhere Mr Man.

I am tentatively planning on being in the Friendly confines next Friday
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
01LUGrad wrote:So, it's September 16. The Cubs are 94-53 (41 games over .500) and clinched the division last night (with a 17 game lead on St. Louis).
Because you said it might happen it won't happen. Good job. ;)
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:
Because you said it might happen it won't happen. Good job. ;)
I reject his comment and command it Christ like into the swine on the hill.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:I hope Cubs not win World Series.
I feel unjinxed now
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]