If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Stunning. Messi misses his first PK ever.
Not sure where you heard/saw that, but it's not true.

That was a good game, but it gets harder and harder to defend soccer from scoreless draws when it always seems to happen on the biggest stages. Sure, Messi missed his PK, but that game was on Higuain & Aguero, who both missed clear opportunities.
I was going by the announcers and commentators. Maybe they meant in International play? I love PK shoot outs but there has to be a better option. After 90 mins no one is going to take a chance in the extra 30 to lose the game in OT.
You are right Higuain and Aguero (anyone see Di Maria) had great opportunities that missed. The first half was truly entertaining Players were flying. Cards were flying. Fans going crazy. Then they just sort of burned out during half time. Oh well.
Now the drama continues with Messi saying he is done with International Soccer. And 7 of his teammates are close behind. Apparently they have had enough of the Argentine Federation. I would suspect that besides the general corruption they are seeing how other Countries treat their players and realize Argentina isn't on the same level. With Messi taking a stand and hopefully the others you may see a huge upheaval in Argentine soccer
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Been says we'll beat Saint Vincent and the Grenadines. BOLD prediction.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote:Been says we'll beat Saint Vincent and the Grenadines. BOLD prediction.
Couldn't decide what to call me could you?
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
The state our national team is in right now, we'd lose to Iceland. And yes, I have seen Iceland play...in person...in the UEFA group stage when they beat Austria at the last second at the Stade De France.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
USA pounds Trinidad and Tobago 4-0 to win Group C and punch their ticket to the final stage of qualifying
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:
jbock13 wrote:Been says we'll beat Saint Vincent and the Grenadines. BOLD prediction.
Couldn't decide what to call me could you?
Autocorrect 1, jbock13 0. Full time.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
First up in the final stage...El Tri on November 11
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
This isn't national team news, but two soccer threads may be more than this board can handle...

So it looks as if MLS will cap its expansion at 28. Currently with 20 teams, there are 4 exansion franchises on the horizon: Atlanta and Minnesota next year, another LA team after that, and then Miami sometime in the future.

That leaves 4 more cities that may be fighting for an MLS team. What cities do you guys think have the best chance?
It also wouldn't surprise me to see a couple franchises move in the future.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote:This isn't national team news, but two soccer threads may be more than this board can handle...

So it looks as if MLS will cap its expansion at 28. Currently with 20 teams, there are 4 exansion franchises on the horizon: Atlanta and Minnesota next year, another LA team after that, and then Miami sometime in the future.

That leaves 4 more cities that may be fighting for an MLS team. What cities do you guys think have the best chance?

I thought you were going to bring up this http://islfutbol.com/fcb/. Just opened a new one in Charlotte
Surprisingly they don't want to pair with an existing MLS franchise like Manchester City does but they are exploring something on the Women's side
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
hmm...its tough to think about because a lot of the biggest markets are spoken for. Id say Atlanta is possible...Charlotte might be problematic with BoA Stadium once football season starts, but if they can plan it out that could work...San Antonio perhaps (although there are two MLS franchises in Texas already)...
By Jonathan Carone
If you're gonna go to the Carolinas you're looking at Raleigh or Cary. Nashville and Richmond also have great soccer followings.

It also wouldn't surprise me to see another Canadian team. Reaching down into Mexico City would be totally out of the box and not likely but may not be horrible.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:If you're gonna go to the Carolinas you're looking at Raleigh or Cary. Nashville and Richmond also have great soccer followings.

It also wouldn't surprise me to see another Canadian team. Reaching down into Mexico City would be totally out of the box and not likely but may not be horrible.
Why not Charlotte? I posted what Barcelona is doing there. Might be a good fake tie in? Although if it's in the Triangle I hope they hire the NC State coach :D
By Jonathan Carone
You already have a 10,000 seat soccer specific stadium that has been used for national team games and hosted the NCAA championship. It's also more centrally located between the soccer hot beds in the state. You reach into the Wilmington market in the Triangle. Lastly, you have an NASL club in Cary already where Charlotte only has a USL club.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Will the MLS allow a 10-thousand seat stadium in the league?

It seems my friends that have been attending FC Cincinnati games report they have built nice following. Perhaps Cincy could be in the mix.
By Jonathan Carone
They'd definitely have to expand the Cary stadium. I was just pointing out they already had a good sized soccer specific stadium so the groundwork is there. Most of the soccer stadiums in the league are in the 18-22k range. A few are upper 20s and then there's the football stadiums.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
MLS seems big on expansion teams having soccer specific stadiums built ether before they join the league or shortly thereafter much like orlando city which will will begin play in their soccer specific stadium next season.

So I would imagine any city looking go get MLS in their city would have to do something similar.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
I don't think Mexico City would work, since LigaMX is bigger than MLS.

A while back I read that a couple billionaires are trying to get a team in Detroit (here's their site http://mlstodetroit.com/investors/).
A group in Nashville has been trying for a while now. I keep hearing St. Louis. And then also Sacramento (please, no) and Las Vegas.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Colorado and Vancouver franchises relocated in the near future.

Smaller markets like Richmond and Rochester have big followings, but I don't think they'd be considered.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
ALUmnus wrote:This isn't national team news, but two soccer threads may be more than this board can handle...

I thought you were going to bring up this http://islfutbol.com/fcb/. Just opened a new one in Charlotte
Surprisingly they don't want to pair with an existing MLS franchise like Manchester City does but they are exploring something on the Women's side
This makes sense since Charlotte's a hotbed for development, but Barca also just opened up an office in NYC to expand their presence in the US.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The NFL, NBA & MLB should have been in Mexico City years ago. I would argue that Mexico could support franchises in three cities (Ciudad de Mexico, Monterrey & Guadalajara). The narco violence has been the only thing holding back movement south of the border, The money and massive fanbases are ready & waiting.

But when LigaMX teams have used franshises in MLS for playr development it gives you an idea of how unlikely it is for the MLS to move south.

I thought the franchise in Vancouver was drawing well. Is that no longer the case? Once oil jumps back up then Calgary becomes another possibility north of the border.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Yeah Just that pesky Narco violence and corruption
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Since when has soccer ever minded corruption? The sport practically revels in it. Narco violence is the only issue and that is getting under control in the three major cities. Hopefully it is gone completely soon.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Since when has soccer ever minded corruption? The sport practically revels in it. Narco violence is the only issue and that is getting under control in the three major cities. Hopefully it is gone completely soon.
Yes But FIFA corruption doesn't usually end up with someone dead. Columbia sure. MLS?
By jack_sparrow81
Registration Days Posts
There has been a lot talk that MLS may give Tampa another shot and move up the Rowdies. The owner has made improvements to Al Lang Stadium and is willing to put the money in to finish it if they move up. I don't understand the reasoning of putting another team in LA. Didn't Chivas USA play in LA before they folded?
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Since when has soccer ever minded corruption? The sport practically revels in it. Narco violence is the only issue and that is getting under control in the three major cities. Hopefully it is gone completely soon.
What sport doesn't revel in corruption???
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]