If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:
alabama24 wrote:, and why basketball should have a much SMALLER field with multiple game sets... but I digress).
:nono :nonono

Reduce it but only by getting rid of all the play ins. You are the only person I've ever heard that doesn't think it'sabsolutely perfect. Multiple game sets? That's what makes the NBA playoffs suck.
Yep sucked so bad the 2015 NBA Finals had the largest ratings since Jordan's last championship season.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Which is why the regular season in College Football means so much more than the regular season in College Basketball. I love the tournament and how it is set up now from a pure entertainment standpoint but it doesn't really determine the best team.
This. People complain about how the NCAA basketball regular season needs to be more meaningful or needs to get more attention, then say moving the season back until after football is over would solve it. No, the thing that makes college basketball so great is what demeans the first four months of the season, and it is the NCAA Tournament. For the casual watcher, what's the point of watching the regular season when it's deemed completely pointless when the tournament starts due to it's single elimination format?

Syracuse, which had a questionable NCAA Tournament resume at best, is in the Final Four? What was the point in even playing the regular season if a team that shouldn't have been in is now in the Final Four?

UNC, which was considered the best team in the country before the season started, is now the heavy favorite to win the championship. What was the point in even playing the regular season if the best team in the preseason is now an even heavier favorite to win the title?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I have always said Championships are won in Post Season.

I once coached a softball team that went 15-0 in Regular season. We lost in first round of playoffs and were done.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I have always said Championships are won in Post Season.
*blink*blink*
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
There are no words...

Only this:
[youtube]
[/youtube]
Last edited by BJWilliams on March 28th, 2016, 8:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:There are no words...

Only this:

[youtube]
[/youtube]
FIFY
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
(Finally got that video to embed...after getting on my computer on my lunch break and fixing it...)
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote:
LUconn wrote:
alabama24 wrote:, and why basketball should have a much SMALLER field with multiple game sets... but I digress).
:nono :nonono

Reduce it but only by getting rid of all the play ins. You are the only person I've ever heard that doesn't think it'sabsolutely perfect. Multiple game sets? That's what makes the NBA playoffs suck.
Yep sucked so bad the 2015 NBA Finals had the largest ratings since Jordan's last championship season.
So you're comparing the ratings of the sucky 2015 playoff format to the ratings of the identically sucky playoff format of the 90s to prove that it doesn't suck?
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
Holy crap. Doesn't matter what you're advocating...comparing the NBA playoffs to the NCAA tournament is plain stupid. The NBA thrives off of stories & villains. The manner in which they conduct their postseason is irrelevant.

The only people I've ever heard declare that the NCAA Tournament is perfect are college basketball die-hards. This tournament is awful. Middle Tennessee State knocking off Michigan State isn't a good thing for the sport. Something needs to be done to prevent this many mid-major programs from reaching the tournament.

Just be thankful that the committee correctly invited Syracuse and not St. Mary's or Valpo.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Nothing needs to be done to "fix" the tournament. It is entertaining. I completely realize the best team isn't always going to be champion but that is why the tournament is so entertaining.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
NCAA tournament is much better than the NBA "dog and pony shows". Playing 4 out of 7 is totally stupid. I like the one loss go home format.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
The NBA, MLB, and NHL. I don't know why there is the focus on the NBA. Oh yeah, this board hates the NBA for some unknown reason. I remember now.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
Single elimination tournaments are the worst possible way to declare a champion in any sport outside of football, and that's only because it would be entirely impractical to have a playoff series for each matchup in each round for football. At least college baseball (and I assume softball) does it right with double elimination.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Nothing needs to be done to "fix" the tournament. It is entertaining. I completely realize the best team isn't always going to be champion but that is why the tournament is so entertaining.
this is correct. i rightly recognize the Michigan wasn't the 2nd best team in the nation in 2013. regardless. it was a great tournament.

the only way to determine the true champion of every sport is math/statistics. you have to remove the human element to the game which is impossible. 7 game series are the closest way in the playoffs. because 4 out of 7 times the best team prevails. the problem is that these series are typically snoozefests.

you think the guy who's had to tee off every morning in 30mph winds that die down every afternoon for those with tee times later in the day has any real beef with the PGA? no. there is no perfect way to find a champion in almost every sport. you just have to deal with the cards that you were dealt.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote:Single elimination tournaments are the worst possible way to declare a champion in any sport outside of football, and that's only because it would be entirely impractical to have a playoff series for each matchup in each round for football. At least college baseball (and I assume softball) does it right with double elimination.
It's actually double elimination at each !evel, which means a team can lose as many as 3 games on their way to a national championship.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
lynchburgwildcats wrote:Single elimination tournaments are the worst possible way to declare a champion in any sport outside of football, and that's only because it would be entirely impractical to have a playoff series for each matchup in each round for football. At least college baseball (and I assume softball) does it right with double elimination.
It's actually double elimination at each !evel, which means a team can lose as many as 3 games on their way to a national championship.
I approve of this system
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Hopefully we are not losing out on Bond. I would s[…]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]