If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Lucas
It's that time of year again. Looks like Holy Cross is the first shocker of the season, winning their conference tournament and thus a ticket to March Madness despite the fact they have a losing record.

Right now in the ACC tournament Pitt is beating UNC and Georgetown is beating Villanova in Big East.
By Lucas
Big upset with Notre Dame taking out Duke in the ACC Tournament. However, the game doesn't mean THAT much as both teams are already in.

However, in the SEC, Vanderbilt lost to Tennessee and that likely means that Vandy misses going to the Big Dance.

What a great time of year for College Sports.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
I don't think the Notre Dame win was a big upset. Duke was only favored by 2.5 points. It was a very good game. Go Heels!
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
Lucas wrote:It's that time of year again. Looks like Holy Cross is the first shocker of the season, winning their conference tournament and thus a ticket to March Madness despite the fact they have a losing record.

Right now in the ACC tournament Pitt is beating UNC and Georgetown is beating Villanova in Big East.
Crazy thing about Holy Cross is that they went 0-9 on the road in the Patriot League in the regular season, then went 3-0 or 4-0 on the road in the Patriot League Tournament to win it. That's one of the most improbable tournament upsets I have ever seen.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Marshall with the win over UTEP. UVa won; Tech lost. All is right in the world. :clapping

No comment on the Ole Miss game. Crybaby
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Marshall game was crazy.

SCAR on the call
By Lucas
Good win for Alabama. That game was just intense from a shooter's perspective. Moody was playing out of his mind.

Next up: Kentucky (yikes)
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
I'm so sick of hearing about Monmouth. College bball analysts do this every year; b**** about some no-name school being included the tournament. They won't be playing past the sweet-16, they won't win a championship...it...does....not....matter.

I miss football.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:Carolina got the group of death treatment. Also, Michigan State got hosed.
Michigan State is in the same bracket with Utah (who just lost by 30), Iowa State, Purdue and UVA. They were basically given a bye to the final four.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Good point. They should have been a 1 seed, but they actually did better getting the 2.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
NCAA Selection Committee is more crooked than politics in Washington. UVA could not even win their conference, yet they get a number 1 seed. Syracuse should not be in tournament. Kentucky beat Texas A&M, yet Aggies got higher seed. There are more strange seedings, but these are the 3 that jump out.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:NCAA Selection Committee is more crooked than politics in Washington. UVA could not even win their conference, yet they get a number 1 seed. Syracuse should not be in tournament. Kentucky beat Texas A&M, yet Aggies got higher seed. There are more strange seedings, but these are the 3 that jump out.
Those aren't strange.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Agree with sweat...if you think those are strange then either you're on the sauce or you don't watch much basketball outside of Liberty
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
UVa should not be a #1 seed, they did not win their own conference.

Syracuse should not have made tournament

The selection committee is almost as unethical as Hillary Clinton.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:UVa should not be a #1 seed, they did not win their own conference.

Syracuse should not have made tournament

The selection committee is almost as unethical as Hillary Clinton.
Yes, they should be. You do not need to win your conference to be given a one seed. There's no NCAA mandate stating such nonsense.

The tournament is a T.V. show and Syracuse is a brand name. If there is even a slim chance of them getting an invite, they'll get invited.

The selection committee did nothing unethical...get over yourself.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
The only logical conclusion was that the entire selection committee was drunk all week. Most botched bracket I have ever seen.

Calipari passive aggressively essentially said in that ESPN interview last night that they didn't take their job seriously. Loved it.

Bracketmatrix.com compiles 100 projected tournament brackets throughout the year. One hundred. Tulsa wasn't on a single one of them. Not one. But the selection committee picks them. I know that isn't a selection criteria, just goes to show how undeserving Tulsa was that not one single bracket projection included them. Most unjustifiable pick in the history of the NCAA Tournament.

Oregon gets a #1 and their justification is because they won the conference. UVA twice failed to win the conference and got a #1. Indiana won the Big 10 regular season, gets a 5. Michigan State wins the Big 10 tournament, gets a 2.

Then they say they used the Pomeroy rankings to help with the seeds. Well Oregon is 9th on Pomeroy, gets a #1. Kentucky is 8th on Pomeory, gets a #4. Purdue is 10th, gets a #5. Xavier is 15th, gets a #2. A&M is 17th, gets a #3. California is 21st, gets a #4. Duke is 22nd, Dule is 22nd, gets a 4.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
The Kentucky coach was 100 percent correct in his comments. I have never been a KY fan but I loved what he said. The Syracuse COACH begged all week and wad rewarded. He kept saying They had 2 wins over top 20 teams. Heck Virginia Tech beat 2 top 10 teams. They did not get a bid.
The committee has integrity problem. They say one thing and do another. If anyone not believe this listen to what Kentucky coach said in interview.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Study :jawdropper :blahblah (Id throw the headshaker in as well if I could find it)
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Study :jawdropper :blahblah (Id throw the headshaker in as well if I could find it)
Criticism without substance is pointless. You keep picking on ballcoach and honestly when you look through the hyperbole, he makes more sense than you 9 times out of 10.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:The Kentucky coach was 100 percent correct in his comments. I have never been a KY fan but I loved what he said. The Syracuse COACH begged all week and wad rewarded. He kept saying They had 2 wins over top 20 teams. Heck Virginia Tech beat 2 top 10 teams. They did not get a bid.
The committee has integrity problem. They say one thing and do another. If anyone not believe this listen to what Kentucky coach said in interview.
Needs to be more transparency and a concrete set of criteria that doesn't change for each team or seed or year to year. Need basketball people on the committee, not a bunch of administrators without a background in basketball because the current committee is clueless.

How is a team supposed to schedule non-conference to increase their chances at an at-large bid when they have no clue what they are going to be judged on every year?

Also need people who understand the kind of world the mid majors operate in. According to Pomeroy, winning on the road against the #200 team is as difficult as defeating the #75 team at home. Committee keeps sighting Monmouth's three losses on the road to teams ranked below 200. So Monmouth was supposed to go 16-1 in their conference to get an at large? Only three teams in the entire country finished with less than two losses within conference. That's not the least bit reasonable of an expectation. And their non-conference loss at Army, in that game Army was actually the favorite going into the game based on the Pomeroy metrics. So they're getting punished for losing a game they were supposed to lose and not being nearly flawless in conference in the regular season.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
If I took the time to do that flamehunter, Id probably have spent only slightly less time doing that than actually working or sleeping.

Syracuse was a headscratcher, but there is no way I would compare them with Virginia Tech as far as a resume for the committee is concerned. First off, The Orange were missing their head coach for the first 9 ACC games, including wins over Duke AND Notre Dame, both of whom are in the tournament, beat a pair of OTHER top 25 teams and finished 10 spots ahead of Virginia Tech in SoS, who frankly shouldn't even begin to be in the at-large discussion.

I won't even begin to go after the others because its late and I need to get to bed at a decent hour for once.

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm th[…]

I do most of my reading on airplanes and trains th[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]