If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:What does "run by the media" even mean?
It's him basically saying he is too stupid to come up with anything close to resembling the intelligent thoughts of a 5 year old on the topic.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Took my son to the Rockets game tonight for the last time this season and had trouble parking because the Final Four events have taken over downtown. As bad as the Rox are right now, even cheering for teams with whom I have no connection seems like an upgrade this weekend. Sheesh.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:The Kentucky coach was 100 percent correct in his comments. I have never been a KY fan but I loved what he said. The Syracuse COACH begged all week and wad rewarded. He kept saying They had 2 wins over top 20 teams. Heck Virginia Tech beat 2 top 10 teams. They did not get a bid.
The committee has integrity problem. They say one thing and do another. If anyone not believe this listen to what Kentucky coach said in interview.
Needs to be more transparency and a concrete set of criteria that doesn't change for each team or seed or year to year. Need basketball people on the committee, not a bunch of administrators without a background in basketball because the current committee is clueless.

How is a team supposed to schedule non-conference to increase their chances at an at-large bid when they have no clue what they are going to be judged on every year?

Also need people who understand the kind of world the mid majors operate in. According to Pomeroy, winning on the road against the #200 team is as difficult as defeating the #75 team at home. Committee keeps sighting Monmouth's three losses on the road to teams ranked below 200. So Monmouth was supposed to go 16-1 in their conference to get an at large? Only three teams in the entire country finished with less than two losses within conference. That's not the least bit reasonable of an expectation. And their non-conference loss at Army, in that game Army was actually the favorite going into the game based on the Pomeroy metrics. So they're getting punished for losing a game they were supposed to lose and not being nearly flawless in conference in the regular season.
Just found this tread and read the 3rd page 1st. After seeing such wild and uninformed opinions I went back to the 1st page. I think LynchburgWildcat nailed it though. The criteria shifts based on who they are evaluating. The reality is that there are some unwritten and unspoken criteria that they use and it has to do with popularity which naturally favors the teams affiliated with power conferences or the household names if you will. I love the part above about understanding what it is like in a mid major conference. Beating the #200 team on the road is the same as beating #75 at home. That is the reality. Winning on the road, in conference is hard. Ask any coach in America and they will tell you that.

As far as the NCAA Tournament. Don't touch it. It is great the way it is. It doesn't always lead to the best team in the Nation winning but I think it does most years. Look at the records and seedings over the past 30 years of the winners and there are mostly 1 -3 seeds. The top 12 teams in America most seasons are usually all about the same in terms of talent and in terms of having to play head to head.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Now that Syracuse is in final 4, more scrutiny is popping up about how they got into tournament to begin with. VT had a better overall resume than Syracuse. They way they got in is lack of integrity with committee and the fact that the Coach cried all week leading up to Selection Sunday. They lost 5 of final 6 games, and lost in first round of ACC Tourney. Syracuse should not have even been in discussion for a bid.

There is no way to make sure the best team wins NCAA Tourney, because there is no fool proof way of determining who best team is. Some said it was Kansas, some said Michigan State, some said North Carolina, some said Kentucky. It goes on and on. I like the tournament the way it is, except for the integrity of the selection committee., both teams selected and where seeded.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:They made it to the final 4. Clearly they belong. It will be ok.
I happen to disagree. Just because someone makes the most out of an opportunity doesn't mean they didn't get a break that was undeserved. Performance in the tournament has 0 to do with who should have gotten in or not. By that logic, Michigan State didn't deserve to be in the tournament since they lost to a 15 seed MTSU. We all know that is silly. I have to agree that the Committee lacks some integrity in terms of what they tell us. It is inconsistent and contradictory at best. I wouldn't call it unethical though. I just say it is more insulting than anything. The committee couldn't say in public that they took the 9 game suspension of the Hall of Fame Coach into consideration when considering Syracuse. If they did they would be saying that they gave a pass to cheating. Although basically that is what they did by putting them in. If St. Bonaventure and Syracuse would have switched resume's St. Bonaventure would not even have been considered and Syracuse would not have been on the bubble. Based on that alone it is clear that more than just resume's (Which in itself has a long list of somewhat subjective criteria) are considered when seeding and fielding the tournament. I'm actually sort of ok with that. Just don't tell us that it isn't that way. Again it is somewhat insulting.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I see what you're saying and before the tournament began I thought Syracuse wad a borderline bubble team at best but the probed they belong with their play. Much like many mid majors have had to do in years past.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Truth be known Syracuse should have received a 5 year Post season ban from NCAA for cheating. When schools cheat, the NCAA lets them off too easy, usually a slap on the wrist, with a feather, so as to not hurt them. They make it appear they are punished, but in reality they are not.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
I say it all the time. There is ZERO incentive to NOT Cheat. Cheaters prosper in the world of sports. Bonds, Calipari, Armstrong, A-Rod, Marion Jones etc. Other than reputation being tarnished, these people have excelled. Bonds is the All-Time home run leader and one of the riches baseball players of his time. Coach Calipari cheated at UMass, Cheated at Memphis and all he did was get arguably the top job in College Basketball. Armstrong won 8 Tours de France. Whether acknowledged or not, we all saw him do it. Made millions. Marion Jones was on steroids for years. Pocketed millions in endorsements. Who cares if you take the medals. They didn't take the money back. A-Rod signed not 1 but 2 of the biggest contracts in baseball history exceeding 250 million each time. I can go on and on with examples of cheaters either getting better positions or thriving so much financially that by the time they were caught, it really didn't matter.

The NCAA never catches people in the act. When they do finally sanction a school, most, if not all the offenders have moved on. Plus they take way too long to render a decision. Roy Williams has had a cloud over his program for 5 years or so yet he is competing for a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP this weekend. Its crazy.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Villanova WINS by over 40 points and advances to the FINALS. Play Basketball
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Villanova WINS by over 40 points and advances to the FINALS. Play Basketball
Yeah, I'm glad it wasn't some mid-major in that game. It might have turned into a blow-out. :lol:
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
Definitely pays to cheat in sports. As they say , if you're not cheating you're not trying. Villanova will take care of UNC on Monday though (assuming UNC doesn't choke in the last 8 minutes)
NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]

LaTech

Liberty 2 LaTech 0. Yoder pitched 1 hitter with 8 […]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]