If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:
youngflamer wrote:Please tell me how can Old Dominion University start football in 2009 and after only four years playing FCS football achieve a 38-10 record. In 2013, they then moved up to the FBS and joined Conference USA. We started football 43 years ago, we're still playing FCS and have gone to the playoffs only one time and we play in the Big South Conference with powerhouses like Gardner Webb, Charleston Southern, etc. We have more funds, better facilities than any other conference schools, plus a national platform. Money and great facilities don't bring playoff invitations, wins do. Something needs to change. (Posted this in football before I saw this forum.)
Maybe part of that is the higher profile ODU already had when they started their football program. They are also traditionally a much larger school in the heart of Virginia's best po of talent.
Nobody who follows college sports in VA closely was surprised at ODUs rapid rise. They had a ready made fan base in the 757 that had been itching for football for years. They had name recognition as a result of a highly successful basketball program and as has been ststed, they sit right in the middle of one of the best talent pools on the East coast.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Not to mention they are in one of the top 45 media markets in the country...comparing Liberty and ODU is like comparing apples to grapefruit...
By youngflamer
It's recruiting for sure, but we do a poor job of getting Christian kids. After 43 years we should have a reputation that would draw these type of players. When you win they will come. Danny Rocco was doing this until Barber ran him off.
By Lucas
First off, I've never been to Lynchburg, VA, but I would be worried about my local University, Kennesaw State, taking off and ultimately making the jump. Mainly for a few reasons:

1. They have a money
2. They actually have a good cult-ish following
3. Say what you want about VA, but KSU has the entire state that is probably #3 or #4 in terms of producing the best college football players.
4. They have a TON of land. They are able to upgrade, expand, and do basically whatever they want with the amount of land they have.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Lucas wrote:First off, I've never been to Lynchburg, VA, but I would be worried about my local University, Kennesaw State, taking off and ultimately making the jump. Mainly for a few reasons:

1. They have a money
2. They actually have a good cult-ish following
3. Say what you want about VA, but KSU has the entire state that is probably #3 or #4 in terms of producing the best college football players.
4. They have a TON of land. They are able to upgrade, expand, and do basically whatever they want with the amount of land they have.
I don't think you will get much argument here that with CCU gone, KSU will !likely be our main competition in BSC football. The success of CSU is strictly a Chadwell phenomenum, and I can't imagine he will be around much longer.
By Lucas
I guess cause I went to Alabama, I don't see the need for Liberty to move up when in all likelihood they won't be competitive. Liberty is just not of the schools that it makes sense for at this time.

I had bigger expectations for Turner Gill, so hopefully this will be the year we make the playoffs.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Lucas wrote:I guess cause I went to Alabama, I don't see the need for Liberty to move up when in all likelihood they won't be competitive. Liberty is just not of the schools that it makes sense for at this time.

I had bigger expectations for Turner Gill, so hopefully this will be the year we make the playoffs.
Last year was certainly a disapointment, but we did make the playoffs in 2014. We are a long way from competing with the líkes of Bama, but we are as ready to move up to a G5 conference as any team in FCS.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Lucas wrote:I guess cause I went to Alabama, I don't see the need for Liberty to move up when in all likelihood they won't be competitive. Liberty is just not of the schools that it makes sense for at this time.

I'm sure you feel the same way about KSU, as well. Hopefully you aren't going to crow like all the GSU nuts who are always blowing their school's potential out of proportion. The fact that LU is private can be both it's biggest benefit and it's biggest hindrance. Second and third tier state schools will have just as hard of a time creating programs that rival Alabama's as Liberty will, and the chances for KSU and LU are about the same (zero).
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
This isn't really related to LU, but since I was a history major, I have an innate ability to talk about nonsense for a couple hundred words and confuse you enough to make it sound like I know what I am talking about.
I digress.
4 years after first announcing intentions to make the jump to FBS, these guys still don't even have a plan to build a stadium. It's sad, really. SB Ballard, the current stadium's namesake, has submitted an unsolicited bid to be the one to get the ball rolling since the board has no idea what they are doing. The article is worth a read, but the basics are that he wants to build a 25k seat stadium in the current field's location. It would be expandable to 35k. The idea would be to have it finished for an early 2018 home game against Virginia Tech.

http://pilotonline.com/sports/college/o ... 748a7.html

As a Liberty guy whose money went to ODU for my wife's Master's degree, it is so weird watching this all unfold. They have a rabid fan base in a major metropolitan area that is dying for a new stadium with more seating to accommodate the big-time FBS teams they have scheduled to play at home. They just don't have the leadership or the funds to make it happen. We've got the leadership and the money, but a shaky non-student fan base in the middle of nowhere and no one wants to be associated with us.
They are the yin to our yang.
By Lucas
My wife is hard core in KSU football, which makes sense since she went there, born there, and grew up there, and she believes that KSU has a chance to become a powerhouse like the Alabama's, FSU's, Oklahoma's, Texas's, and all that.

I however, see it very differently. As a fan of Liberty, I'd rather see them compete in the FCS and be competitive on a national level than watching them struggle in the FBS against teams that have more money, influence, and much better fan bases and facilities than the likes of Liberty.
Lucas, have you actually been to LU to look at the facilities? And have you seen what is currently, or about to be built? There are no colleges at the FCS level that have the slate of facilities we have. I can promise you that. There are many schools at the G5 level that don't have what we have, in terms of facilities and funding. If we received an invite tomorrow from the CUSA/AAC, LU would quickly be able to up their budgets to whatever funding level was necessary to support their sports near the top quarter of the current crop of those two leagues. There aren't any other FCS schools (aside from maybe KSU) that can say that. In a lot of ways, KSU is where LU was 6 years ago.
01LUGrad wrote:This isn't really related to LU, but since I was a history major, I have an innate ability to talk about nonsense for a couple hundred words and confuse you enough to make it sound like I know what I am talking about.
I digress.
4 years after first announcing intentions to make the jump to FBS, these guys still don't even have a plan to build a stadium. It's sad, really. SB Ballard, the current stadium's namesake, has submitted an unsolicited bid to be the one to get the ball rolling since the board has no idea what they are doing. The article is worth a read, but the basics are that he wants to build a 25k seat stadium in the current field's location. It would be expandable to 35k. The idea would be to have it finished for an early 2018 home game against Virginia Tech.

http://pilotonline.com/sports/college/o ... 748a7.html

As a Liberty guy whose money went to ODU for my wife's Master's degree, it is so weird watching this all unfold. They have a rabid fan base in a major metropolitan area that is dying for a new stadium with more seating to accommodate the big-time FBS teams they have scheduled to play at home. They just don't have the leadership or the funds to make it happen. We've got the leadership and the money, but a shaky non-student fan base in the middle of nowhere and no one wants to be associated with us.
They are the yin to our yang.
After reading that article, I'm wondering if Ballard has been on LU's campus. It would seem that he and JLFJR would hit it off...
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]