If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

http://herosports.com/news/heres-why-fc ... recruiting

Fantastic article on signing day for fcs vs. fbs. as someone who worked at the FCS level for 3 schools over 7 years, this is why I enjoyed it so much. obviously there are exceptions to the rules but the examples given in the article are pretty spot on with the majority of recruiting out there.

"...FCS recruits have been delightful to work with and report the news of. These guys aren't jaded--they are hungry. Many of them committed to the school that offered them their only scholarship. None of them have 50 or 60 offers like the five-star guys. Most of them have only 2 or 3 hard-earned options, mostly at the FCS level. They'll be playing in front of 8,000 or 18,000 fans, not 80,000 fans. But how many of us have played anything in front of even 1,800 fans, much less 18,000? These guys are the perfect mixture of D-I level talent while still being grounded in reality. And make no mistake, they aren't 5-foot-nothing and 100-and nothing like in the movie Rudy. These guys can play some football."
ballcoach15 wrote:I just saw where the Hairston kid from Magna Vista High School committed to Coastal Carolina. I wish he was coming to LU.
If it were up to ballcoach, our entire recruiting travel budget would be gas for the coach's car and an occasional meal in a local restaurant. No plane tickets of hotel rooms required.
flamesfilmguy wrote:http://herosports.com/news/heres-why-fc ... recruiting

Fantastic article on signing day for fcs vs. fbs. as someone who worked at the FCS level for 3 schools over 7 years, this is why I enjoyed it so much. obviously there are exceptions to the rules but the examples given in the article are pretty spot on with the majority of recruiting out there.

"...FCS recruits have been delightful to work with and report the news of. These guys aren't jaded--they are hungry. Many of them committed to the school that offered them their only scholarship. None of them have 50 or 60 offers like the five-star guys. Most of them have only 2 or 3 hard-earned options, mostly at the FCS level. They'll be playing in front of 8,000 or 18,000 fans, not 80,000 fans. But how many of us have played anything in front of even 1,800 fans, much less 18,000? These guys are the perfect mixture of D-I level talent while still being grounded in reality. And make no mistake, they aren't 5-foot-nothing and 100-and nothing like in the movie Rudy. These guys can play some football."
Great read. I think I recall reading that on the combined rosters of a recent pro bowl there were only 2 players who were 5 star recruits out of HS and several who had only 1 or 2 D1 offers.
olldflame wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:I just saw where the Hairston kid from Magna Vista High School committed to Coastal Carolina. I wish he was coming to LU.
If it were up to ballcoach, our entire recruiting travel budget would be gas for the coach's car and an occasional meal in a local restaurant. No plane tickets of hotel rooms required.

I hate to see good players go to schools I do not like, regardless of their Zip Code.
Youre missing a couple key details here:

1) What year is he?
2) What position would we be recruiting him for? RB? DB?

He has nice speed but it seems he isn't a major upgrade compared to the guys we already have at either of his potential positions so while I would like it if we got a few local products, they need to be guys that can really add something and not just be guys we sign because they are within a couple hours of campus
Saw him in the state championship game myself. This guy is good.
We should have offered him (as RB). I watched 5 weeks of playoff football in November/December. He was best RB I saw. LU should have offered even if his zip code was in Idaho or Vermont. He just so happened to be from Ridgeway, VA.

I hate when good players leave Virginia to go to other schools that I do not care for, and even some in state. (JMU/Richmond/ODU)
ballcoach15 wrote:We should have offered him (as RB). I watched 5 weeks of playoff football in November/December. He was best RB I saw. LU should have offered even if his zip code was in Idaho or Vermont. He just so happened to be from Ridgeway, VA.

I hate when good players leave Virginia to go to other schools that I do not care for, and even some in state. (JMU/Richmond/ODU)
Once again the paranoia about LU coaches not recruiting locally rears it's head. If he's all that as a player, I suspect there are other reasons we didn't offer. Not every kid, local of not, belongs at Liberty.
ink LU signed one player from Virginia yesterday. We need to start diverting some of those recruits that go to Richmond and JMU to Lynchburg. (if they meet admission requirements). Anyone can probably get admitted to JMU or Richmond if they have a shoulder pads that fit them.
ballcoach15 wrote:ink LU signed one player from Virginia yesterday. We need to start diverting some of those recruits that go to Richmond and JMU to Lynchburg. (if they meet admission requirements). Anyone can probably get admitted to JMU or Richmond if they have a shoulder pads that fit them.
Maybe JMU, but Richmond does have some academic standards. LU has generally accepted anyone with a pulse.
olldflame wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:We should have offered him (as RB). I watched 5 weeks of playoff football in November/December. He was best RB I saw. LU should have offered even if his zip code was in Idaho or Vermont. He just so happened to be from Ridgeway, VA.

Once again the paranoia about LU coaches not recruiting locally rears it's head. If he's all that as a player, I suspect there are other reasons we didn't offer. Not every kid, local of not, belongs at Liberty.
This^^

Like I said in another discussion, if you were in charge of recruiting, our entire roster would be comprised of kids within a couple hours of Lynchburg, not all of which are a) D1 caliber players b) Philosophical fits for LU
ballcoach15 wrote:No it would not be. We would have same recruiting as we currently have. I would just try to add a couple players per year from Virginia.

Maybe so, but there is a reason people think otherwise. Every time a local player goes anywhere else, you say Liberty should have signed him.
Its like I said in the Football forum, if we are going to go after a local kid, there are three things that need to be considered:

1) Is this player a D1 level talent?
2) Is he measurably better than the players we currently have OR the player(s) we have recruited at the given position
3) Will this person be a fit the philosophy and mission of Liberty University

If the answer to any question is no, then their signing with some other school isn't worth getting all upset over.
You guys are going overboard. There is some credence to what ballcoach is saying. We have signed some kids that aren't good fits like Bradwell and Sampson and others. There may be a valid reason like the kid wasn't interested. But we don't know that. However it is a big strange that guys like Blake commit to jmu then go to Richmond and we don't even offer and he's from Lca. Again it may be as simple as there not interested in staying home but we rarely get the lca kids
We have been over this ad nauseum, and it seems some people have just chosen to believe our staff(s) choose to discriminate against local athletes. Different sport, but I know there are still some who think Andrew Rowsey should be at LU, even though we have had someone with excellent ínside info post here that he was flat out not interested in coming. Gill made a point of saying that while we only signed one VA player this year, we had 4 last year and are working the state hard.
And that's what Jesus wants.
LaTech

I also keep tab with JMU because there is a player[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Does Gonzaga and St Mary have D1 football ? When[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my […]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]