If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Willie has to be one of the fastest rising coaches in the past decade. I'm actually surprised he took the Tulane position because he was up for some other higher profile gigs. Of course that clunker vs. Georgia State didn't help.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I would think he would have to be a darkhorse candidate at Georgia Southern. A more likely scenario would see him moving up the FCS foodchain as someone else gets a shot at an FBS gig. His stock is certainly high right now.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Chip Kelly was fired by the Eagles. Will he return to college coaching?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14462 ... hia-eagles
Kelly has next to 0 interest in returning to college at this point. He wants to stay in the NFL and there are two very good jobs open now or likely will be by the end of the season (Tennessee and Indianapolis). He had a lot of success in Philly, especially considering that he didn't have a franchise QB. Eagles made a huge mistake letting him go.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Lurie didn't really have much of a choice. He asked him to relinquish his personnel duties, he said no, so he had to fire him.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:Chip Kelly was fired by the Eagles. Will he return to college coaching?

Kelly has next to 0 interest in returning to college at this point. He wants to stay in the NFL and there are two very good jobs open now or likely will be by the end of the season (Tennessee and Indianapolis). He had a lot of success in Philly, especially considering that he didn't have a franchise QB. Eagles made a huge mistake letting him go.
Take Indy off the board. No way Luck can run that offense. Obviously Mariotta can
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
VAGolf wrote:

Take Indy off the board. No way Luck can run that offense. Obviously Mariotta can
That's ridiculous. For one, Chip may not use that specific offense if he goes to Indy. He'll likely cater around Luck. Secondly, Luck is an incredibly versatile QB and would be twice as good as Foles if Kelly doesn't change the offense. Indianapolis is the best job to open in the past 5-10 years; if they want either Brian or Chip Kelly, they'll get him.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
What makes you thinkle chip will cater to anybody. He hasn't shown that yet. Tennessee is a decent job not good. You only say good because of Marriotta which I think it's too early to say for sure that he's a stud.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Best job to open in 5-10 years? That roster and front office is a disaster.

Indy has exactly one thing going for it right now and he is injured after taking more hits than any other QB since entering the league.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:What makes you thinkle chip will cater to anybody. He hasn't shown that yet. Tennessee is a decent job not good. You only say good because of Marriotta which I think it's too early to say for sure that he's a stud.

Because Chip is a smart coach and realizes that you simply cater to great QB's when you have them. He hasn't had a great QB yet.

He actually did make a few minor changes for Foles and then again for Bradford. So, it wouldn't shock me at all if he designed everything around Luck. But even if he didn't, they would still be very successful.

Mariota hasn't proven himself as a star yet, but he's certainly capable of being a franchise QB. Very, very rarely do teams have openings with a franchise Quarterback in place. Even if he never becomes a tier 1 quarterback, it's still a great job.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Best job to open in 5-10 years? That roster and front office is a disaster.

Indy has exactly one thing going for it right now and he is injured after taking more hits than any other QB since entering the league.
That's why it's perfect. You always want to enter a job when it doesn't appear appealing. It always looks better to be the guy replacing Ron Zook than Urban Meyer. The roster isn't a hard fix; and you'll be given complete control. The media and fan base in Nashville is incredibly easy to manipulate...especially when you compare it to Philly's relentlessness. And the front office really isn't that bad.

The problem in Philly was that he took over after Andy Reid and the team already had talent except at Quarterback. When Chip started making moves to improve the team, the fans and media started feeling uncomfortable. In Indy, no one is going to complain if you release Coby Fleener, Frank Gore or Dwight Lowery. And yes, Luck was injured this season, but he's never going to be injured like this again. He isn't injury prone; he just had one of the worst offensive lines in the league. This is a perfect situation for Chip.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Chip Kelly has always been a 'System over Person' coach. The players need to adjust to him, not the other way around.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:Chip Kelly has always been a 'System over Person' coach. The players need to adjust to him, not the other way around.
Chip Kelly has always been that way because he's always had to be that way. Oregon wasn't exactly an elite program when he took over. He had to manipulate the system to produce wins. In Philly, he had to find a way to win with Michael Vick, Nick Foles, Sam Bradford and Mark Sanchez. Again, had to manipulate the system to produce wins. It's not that he's a "system over person" coach; it's that he's had to be.

He's never had a player of Andrew Luck's caliber.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
No. He has actually made the statement that his system is more important than the people.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:No. He has actually made the statement that his system is more important than the people.

1. You're taking that statement out of context.

2. It isn't like the smartest coach and an incredibly talented QB won't succeed together.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote:

He had a lot of success in Philly, especially considering that he didn't have a franchise QB. Eagles made a huge mistake letting him go.
YOU ARE NUTS

the dude was a complete vomit and 6 million people in the philly metro are doing cartwheels that he's out

stream your choice of the philly sports radio talk shows for @ 3 minutes
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote:
VAGolf wrote:

He had a lot of success in Philly, especially considering that he didn't have a franchise QB. Eagles made a huge mistake letting him go.
YOU ARE NUTS

the dude was a complete vomit and 6 million people in the philly metro are doing cartwheels that he's out

stream your choice of the philly sports radio talk shows for @ 3 minutes
Winning the division for two consecutive seasons with crappy quarterbacks isn't successful?

Why would I care about about a fanbase or bias local radio hosts? They aren't exactly a great source for objectivity.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote:Ok you're clearly a troll. I'm out.
How am I trolling? Dude, he turned Oregon into a national power.

In Philly, he won the division twice with C- quarterbacks. Do you really think it's a coincidence that Nick Foles had 40 TD's and 12 INT's when playing for Kelly and 13 TD's and 15 INT's not playing for Kelly? The Eagles just gifted Washington, New York and Dallas the NFC East for the next three seasons. If you really believe Kelly isn't a great coach, provide an argument other than telling me to go listen to a bunch of delusional fans or a bias radio host whose afraid to make one real comment out of fear for losing his job.
Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]