If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Still no word out of Harrisonburg, where the Dukes reportedly were expecting to make a hire Friday. The Richmond Times-Dispatch has reported that Chadwell is high on their list, along with the Citadel coach. Considering CSU has won the last 3 times those 2 teams played with a big disparity in resources and tradition, I would think Chadwell would have the edge. I also have a hard time seeing JMU commit to being a triple option program.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
If Chadwell ends up there maybe we will finally get our return game instead of the goalposts being moved further and further back
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:More to that than the coaching staff.
Really? Explain my friend
By Kolzilla41
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:
olldflame wrote:Still no word out of Harrisonburg, where the Dukes reportedly were expecting to make a hire Friday. The Richmond Times-Dispatch has reported that Chadwell is high on their list, along with the Citadel coach. Considering CSU has won the last 3 times those 2 teams played with a big disparity in resources and tradition, I would think Chadwell would have the edge. I also have a hard time seeing JMU commit to being a triple option program.
Supposedly they are waiting for a final answer from Edsall. If he doesn't want it I think Chadwell is the play.

I'd rather have Chadwell, but they are looking for a name to an extent. They've lost momentum and energy. There is nothing less energetic than Edsall-ball.
Edsall. They would be IDIOTS to hire him. Look at how he sent the Maryland back into the stone age.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
flamerbob wrote:Edsall. They would be IDIOTS to hire him. Look at how he sent the Maryland back into the stone age.
Was there ever a time Maryland wasn't in the "stone age" in football? lol
By Kolzilla41
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:
flamerbob wrote:Edsall. They would be IDIOTS to hire him. Look at how he sent the Maryland back into the stone age.
Was there ever a time Maryland wasn't in the "stone age" in football? I chortle audibly.
Under Ralph Freidgen but I get condescending tone from an Alabama fan. They're the Sly Fox pro Texas rhetoric of college football.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Not seeing any more on Chadwell to JMU. Talk on their fan forum seems to be mostly about former Montana coach Bobby Hauck, Chattanooga OC Jeff Durden and Mike Houston from the Citadel. Unless Chadwell has turned them down, they would be foolish to go with Houston. Chadwell did more with less at CSU and beat him 3 times head to head.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
I saw something that Bryan Stinespring is being considered. Oh, please let that be true. :pray
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
flamerbob wrote:
Under Ralph Freidgen but I get condescending tone from an Alabama fan. They're the Sly Fox pro Texas rhetoric of college football.
Did I just get lumped in with a Texas fan? :brownbag lol
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:Footballscoop saying it is Houston.

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop
That's actually a pretty solid hire. He did a great job with Lenoir-Rhyne and the Citadel and should be a good fit at JMU. The only potential downside for JMU is that he was only with Lenoir-Rhyne for three seasons and the Citadel for two seasons. So, I'm guessing it's possible he'll just use JMU as a stepping stone. Regardless, he's got a ton of energy and took The Citadel to the playoffs for the first time in over 20 years.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:My question is do they run triple option in Harrisonburg?
It's all Houston has ever run as a college HC, but supposedly that was out of necessity due to talent deficits. Word on the JMU forum is he does NOT plan to run the same offense there as he did at El Cid.

From a strictly football perspective, I can't see why anyone would pick Houston over Chadwell. I can only speculate that either JMU offered and he turned it down or possibly they didn't think he was a fit for non football reasons.
By Kolzilla41
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Did I just somehow get lumped into Alabama fans? If so, :brownbag
Both parties can tend to be very vocal about their respective areas, which is not a fault. Just can be some unwarranted arrogance when it comes to people expresses opinions outside of those ideals.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:Can't really confirm it (because no one would ever talk about it on record) but one of my JMU folks says Chadwell turned them down.
Wouldn't surprise me at all. While it may appear at first glance that JMU is a huge step up (and in many ways it is) they have major constraints in terms of the salary they can offer. Despite their limited budget, as a private school Chuck South has the freedom to sweeten the pot for a difference maker like he has been.

Caldwell is a rising star, and with Coastal out of the picture and the BSC having pretty much established itself as a 2 bid league, his path to another playoff berth may in fact be easier there than at JMU. One more year like this one and he will have set himself for a possible G5 HC job.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
flamerbob wrote:Just can be some unwarranted arrogance when it comes to people expresses opinions outside of those ideals.
OK. I looked up. If you want to brag about "success" at Maryland, you should go back to 1945. To BEAR BRYANT (RTR). lol

[I am ignoring the "ties"]

Bear Bryant: 6-2-1 (.750)
Jerry Claiborne: 77-37-3 (.658)
Ralph Friedgen: 75-50 (.600)

Friedgen best seasons were his first three. He won at least 10 games in each of those seasons, but only won the ACC once... his first season. He never won 10 games in the following 7 seasons. He didn't even win his division of the conference.

What makes a season a "success"? Obviously only one team can win the title each year, so "success" will either be very rare or need to be defined some other way. Some suggestions:

Winning at least 75% of your games.
Winning your Division
Winning your Conference

Those aren't "if we don't win the national championship, we had a disappointing season" standards. Those should be achievable goals by any team that has "success." By winning percentage, Friedgen had three "successful" seasons. By conference championships, only one. Best case scenario Friedgen had a 30% "successful season" rate.

What were you saying again?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
We're getting pretty far afield with the Maryland stuff, but I'm surprised noone has mentioned Bobby Ross. He was there 5 years and his overall record was 39-19-1, but he was 24-5-1 in ACC competition, with 3 of those losses and the tie coming in his final year (86). He won 3 straight conference titles from 83-85 and was second in his first year (82). Actually, between 72 and 86, with Claiborne and Ross at the helm, the Terps went 70-16-2 in ACC play, winning 6 championships. I'm not sure they weren't the most successful program in the ACC during that period.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
BuryYourDuke wrote:Can't really confirm it (because no one would ever talk about it on record) but one of my JMU folks says Chadwell turned them down.
Wouldn't surprise me at all. While it may appear at first glance that JMU is a huge step up (and in many ways it is) they have major constraints in terms of the salary they can offer. Despite their limited budget, as a private school Chuck South has the freedom to sweeten the pot for a difference maker like he has been.

Caldwell is a rising star, and with Coastal out of the picture and the BSC having pretty much established itself as a 2 bid league, his path to another playoff berth may in fact be easier there than at JMU. One more year like this one and he will have set himself for a possible G5 HC job.
They have the freedom, but no coin. I am surprised no one has hired him yet. Can't imagine him turning down JMU either. Not saying he didn't, I have no idea.
Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]