If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:
ALUmnus wrote:USC names Clay Helton their coach.
Butch Davis may make a return to Miami. That'd be interesting.
As a USC fan, I am not happy about the Helton hire, but they didn't ask me. Maybe Pat Haden didn't see my check this year. 8)
Why don't you like Helton?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:
As a USC fan, I am not happy about the Helton hire, but they didn't ask me. Maybe Pat Haden didn't see my check this year. 8)
The Postal service is sorta spotty. May not have gotten there yet
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote:
flameshaw wrote:
Don't know that much about him, was hoping for a big name coach. USC is still a prime job, just think there are better people available.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
flameshaw wrote:
The Postal service is sorta spotty. May not have gotten there yet
Probably just holding it back to make sure they meet their year-end goal. 8)
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote:
flameshaw wrote:
Don't know that much about him, was hoping for a big name coach. USC is still a prime job, just think there are better people available.[/quote]

USC is a job that doesn't need a big name coach; the school is the big name. USC's main issue over the past 5 seasons is instability. Clay Helton has done a very good job since he took over, I think he's exactly what USC needed.
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
-Helton Earned a shot after going 5-2 as the interm. I think he'll dop just fine at USC.
-UGA made a boneheaded decision that will likely make them Tennessee post fulmer 2.0(which they are just now recovering from). All signs point to Kirby smart hiring and I think that is a mistake. The UGA fans down here have beef that they aren't winning big games which is a fair argument. but they have taken a risk I think will come back to haunt them in the coming years. Richt I doubt will coach this year and probably stay at UGA in some admin roll. the only way I see him leaving is for Miami. There's been talk of Mizzou and USCarolina but I just can't see him being successful at either school. There has also been talk about UVA trying to go after him. It actually makes sense. C-ville is a lot like athens but I just can't imagine that happening.
-VT made a brilliant move to get Fuente and Foster to meet at a neutral site before the hiring. Foster is a VT lifer IMHO. Us in the ACC aren't looking forward to this one.
-UCF hiring Dino Barbers will be a home run for them if they can get it done.
- same with Iowa State and former Toledo coach Matt Campbell. Toledo has become a very nice stepping stone much like StAte was the past few years.
By PalmettoFlame
bluejacket wrote:
PalmettoFlame wrote:Also...being from the great state of South Carolina (which I grew up as a Gamecock fan), the rumor candidates for the job are Tom Herman, Kirby Smart, and Fedora. The State newspaper reports that a hire should be made between December 10th and 12th.
Now that UGA is open, Herman and Smart are definitely going to look there before South Carolina.
Herman is hinting at staying with Houston and Smart is being considered the #1 choice for UGA. I wouldn't be too disappointed if South Carolina doesn't get either one. I think there are some other solid candidates that could do well there. The AD Ray Tanner is expecting to make a hire by December 12th.

Some names I do like but I don't know if they will get a call:

Mark Richt
Lincoln Riley
Larry Fedora
The HC for Western Kentucky
Dan Mullen
By PalmettoFlame
flamesfilmguy wrote:-Helton Earned a shot after going 5-2 as the interm. I think he'll dop just fine at USC.
-UGA made a boneheaded decision that will likely make them Tennessee post fulmer 2.0(which they are just now recovering from). All signs point to Kirby smart hiring and I think that is a mistake. The UGA fans down here have beef that they aren't winning big games which is a fair argument. but they have taken a risk I think will come back to haunt them in the coming years. Richt I doubt will coach this year and probably stay at UGA in some admin roll. the only way I see him leaving is for Miami. There's been talk of Mizzou and USCarolina but I just can't see him being successful at either school. There has also been talk about UVA trying to go after him. It actually makes sense. C-ville is a lot like athens but I just can't imagine that happening.
-VT made a brilliant move to get Fuente and Foster to meet at a neutral site before the hiring. Foster is a VT lifer IMHO. Us in the ACC aren't looking forward to this one.
-UCF hiring Dino Barbers will be a home run for them if they can get it done.
- same with Iowa State and former Toledo coach Matt Campbell. Toledo has become a very nice stepping stone much like StAte was the past few years.
I think VT made a excellent hire with Fuente. I think they got him at a deal at 3.2 million per season and only has to pay 500,000 for his buy out. Also, I think it was a good move by keeping majority of the staff to help with recruiting. I can see VT being real good in the next couple of years and compete for ACC Championships.
By bluejacket
PalmettoFlame wrote:Some names I do like but I don't know if they will get a call:

Mark Richt
Lincoln Riley
Larry Fedora
Dan Mullen
In my opinion:

Richt is very unlikely.
Riley is a possibility.
The main reason that Fedora keeps bring brought up is because he wants a raise/extension. Maybe he leaves, maybe not.
Brohm is a possibility.
Mullen is unlikely as well.
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Kirby Smart to Georgia is not a Smart choice on part of the Bulldogs.
Firing a man as successful as Richt for a man that's never been a head coach doesn't make much sense at all.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Kinda funny to see everyone predicting great things for the Hokies with Fuente at the helm, even though a lot of the other coaching positions will be unchanged. Isn´t that pretty much saying the HC has been doing a lousey job the last several years?
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Several in-state papers are reporting that Richt is interviewing at UVa today: http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/ ... dde74.html

So the question is, which would be the bigger hire?
1. Fuente to Tech? (or)
2. Richt to UVa? (if it happens)
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Several in-state papers are reporting that Richt is interviewing at UVa today: http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/ ... dde74.html

So the question is, which would be the bigger hire?
1. Fuente to Tech? (or)
I would say at this point in time both would be home run hires. Maybe the edge to VT because he is younger and potentially could be there for as long as Beamer was. But he may also see this as a stepping stone to something bigger. Don't know if he's that type of guy or not. Richt is a proven winner but may not have quite as much upside.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
For several years VT's biggest and maybe only problem has been a lack of offense. Blame for this falls on the schemes run and play calling.

The hiring of Coach Fuente should correct this problem. Now granted it may take 2 or 3 years. Nothing wrong with defensive side of ball at VT.

Bud Foster
By bluejacket
Cider Jim wrote:So the question is, which would be the bigger hire?
1. Fuente to Tech? (or)
I would say Richt, but I don't think that he goes to UVA.
By bluejacket
ballcoach15 wrote:For several years VT's biggest and maybe only problem has been a lack of offense. Blame for this falls on the schemes run and play calling.

The hiring of Coach Fuente should correct this problem. Now granted it may take 2 or 3 years. Nothing wrong with defensive side of ball at VT.

Bud Foster
Foster is not perfect.
By PalmettoFlame
bluejacket wrote:
PalmettoFlame wrote:Some names I do like but I don't know if they will get a call:

Mark Richt
Lincoln Riley
Larry Fedora
Dan Mullen
In my opinion:

Richt is very unlikely.
Riley is a possibility.
The main reason that Fedora keeps bring brought up is because he wants a raise/extension. Maybe he leaves, maybe not.
Brohm is a possibility.
Mullen is unlikely as well.

According to the latest "rumors", Lincoln Riley is in consideration for the SC job. Haven't heard about an interview yet. The other two names that are being thrown around today are Will Muschamp and Pruitt. Most of the other rumors are mainly coming from message boards and beat writers. One thing for certain, South Carolina is keeping the lid tight on who is a candidate for the HC job.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:Isn´t that pretty much saying the HC has been doing a lousey job the last several years?
And you think otherwise? Beamer needed to go a LONG time ago.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:
olldflame wrote:Isn´t that pretty much saying the HC has been doing a lousey job the last several years?
And you think otherwise? Beamer needed to go a LONG time ago.
Oh, no question he was past his prime and a change was overdue, and it´s not like it hasn´t been said over and over. It just seemed like in this discussion it was the proverbial elephant in the room.

Congress needs to get involved and pass a law ca[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

What is the scouting report on Isaiah Ihnen from […]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]