If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Is transferring from UNCA. Pretty predictable, and I'm sure he will be playing at a higher level. I would think Butler may be giving him a call since Holtmann is familiar with his game.

By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
This is going to become a problem. Some of the lower conferences are going to become feeder teams for guys who explode on the scene.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
It still takes a kid willing to sit out a year. That remains a strong deterrent for most. But a small school freshman or sophomore whose game is clearly aboive his peers may be willing to make the move to convince the pro scouts his game is transcendant beyond a low major.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:It still takes a kid willing to sit out a year. That remains a strong deterrent for most. But a small school freshman or sophomore whose game is clearly aboive his peers may be willing to make the move to convince the pro scouts his game is transcendant beyond a low major.
A significant portion of the increase in transfers (but certainly not all of it) is coming from the relatively new rule allowing graduates who have remaining eligibility to play immediately as a graduate student. The number in that category looking to transfer this year is 109 and growing. Of course everyone knows the stipulation that they must be seeking a grad program not available where they were is a total joke.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/2015

Schools hardest hit so far are Memphis with 6 and Kansas State, Southern Illinois, Youngstown State, Kennesaw State and Nicholls State with 5 each. Too many to mention with 4, including some very prominent programs. I think the most we ever had was 4, following Layer's first season.
Last edited by olldflame on April 16th, 2015, 9:39 am, edited 5 times in total.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
TDDance234 wrote:This is going to become a problem. Some of the lower conferences are going to become feeder teams for guys who explode on the scene.

It's not a problem if you embrace it and plan accordingly.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote:
TDDance234 wrote:This is going to become a problem. Some of the lower conferences are going to become feeder teams for guys who explode on the scene.

You can plan for a lot of things, but I'm not sure this is one of them. I will say though that schools can definitely benefit from players transferring out. For every Curry, Gordon (and possibly Gielo) you have more like Chad Donley or Asaad Woods, who weren't going to help us if they stayed and freed up scholarships for (hopefully) better players by leaving.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
VAGolf wrote:

You can plan for a lot of things, but I'm not sure this is one of them. I will say though that schools can definitely benefit from players transferring out. For every Curry, Gordon (and possibly Gielo) you have more like Chad Donley or Asaad Woods, who weren't going to help us if they stayed and freed up scholarships for (hopefully) better players by leaving.
I like the rule. It's the opposite of one and done. Sort of a reward for a kid who gets his work done is 'rewarded' with a mother year. It's an incentive to the athlete IMO
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
This has happened twice to Asheville now in the last three years. I wrote about this at Big South media day a couple of years back, and the narrative on Trey Freeman changed after this story was published when it came out just how sick his mother was. That was the biggest reason he wanted to be at ODU rather than Campbell. There's no doubt there's a sense that the low-major schools have become a feeder program for bigger schools. And there's no real hope of it changing either.

http://www.newsadvance.com/sports/liber ... f6878.html
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Chris Lang wrote:This has happened twice to Asheville now in the last three years. I wrote about this at Big South media day a couple of years back, and the narrative on Trey Freeman changed after this story was published when it came out just how sick his mother was. That was the biggest reason he wanted to be at ODU rather than Campbell. There's no doubt there's a sense that the low-major schools have become a feeder program for bigger schools. And there's no real hope of it changing either.

http://www.newsadvance.com/sports/liber ... f6878.html
Also Trey's coach was getting fired too. He and Robbie Laing appear to be pretty close based on my conversations with both about the other. They get to play against each other a couple times a season as Laing is an assistant at Florida Atlantic.

I have been hearing Rowsey was leaving since December. I will say that he needs to pick a school that is going to allow him the freedom that Asheville allowed or somewhere near that. He is a volume shooter and that is what makes him effective. I'm not sure his style of play is a good fit for everyone. No doubt the kid is a big time player though. Give him space and he WILL LIGHT YOU UP. In a sense that might help him because playing with better players around him, a team can't afford to throw the entire defense at him. I can't wait to see where he lands.
By Neo
"Volume shooter" looks to leave Big South for a bigger program...where have we seen this before?
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
If John Brown doesn't come back to HPU (I haven't seen anything official about his status, but most people seem to assume he won't be at HPU), then only 1 of the 15 players that were on the conference's first, second, and honorable mention all-conference teams this past season will be returning (DeSean Murray from PC). To be fair, most of the all-conference players were seniors, but Jerome Hill is going for a pro career, Rowsey is transferring, and Brown isn't expected back. Will be very interesting to see which players around the league emerge to take those guys' spots.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
I like the rule. It's the opposite of one and done. Sort of a reward for a kid who gets his work done is 'rewarded' with a mother year.
:dontgetit :lol:
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
WinthropEagleFan wrote:If John Brown doesn't come back to HPU (I haven't seen anything official about his status, but most people seem to assume he won't be at HPU), then only 1 of the 15 players that were on the conference's first, second, and honorable mention all-conference teams this past season will be returning (DeSean Murray from PC). To be fair, most of the all-conference players were seniors, but Jerome Hill is going for a pro career, Rowsey is transferring, and Brown isn't expected back. Will be very interesting to see which players around the league emerge to take those guys' spots.
Correction..it appears that John Brown will be coming back based on a twitter post he made a couple weeks ago:

By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
VAGolf wrote:

Coaches are smart. It isn't that hard to figure out if a player is above your level or not. Anyone with half the brain of a field mouse could have told you that Seth Curry could transfer to a better program. It's even easier to tell a recruit, "I know you aren't getting attention from the big programs yet but if you do, just give me a heads up and I won't hold you back." Having the Bo Ryan attitude is what gets you in trouble.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, Ryan is really struggling, isn't he. :roll:

Seth's brother is just a TAAAAAAAAAAD better baller than he is, and had opportunities to transfer from Davidson, but chose to stay. While it was always a possibility, there was no huge red flag that Seth was going to leave, even after his success in his first year. Going in, no high majors wanted him and he was actually a pretty big question mark.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:Yeah, Ryan is really struggling, isn't he. :roll:

Seth's brother is just a TAAAAAAAAAAD better baller than he is, and had opportunities to transfer from Davidson, but chose to stay. While it was always a possibility, there was no huge red flag that Seth was going to leave, even after his success in his first year. Going in, no high majors wanted him and he was actually a pretty big question mark.
Yeah it wasn't as cut and dried that Seth would leave Liberty after avg 20 ppg as a Freshman. If anything his brother had proved that staying at LU and being a big fish in a small pond was a good way to go. I don't blame him for wanting to play at Duke though.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:Yeah, Ryan is really struggling, isn't he. :roll:

Bo Ryan isn't a bad coach, he's a great coach. He just has a crappy attitude when things don't go his way.

My point isn't, "Because he was averaging _____ number, then it should be obvious he's going to transfer."

I'm saying that any coach would be able to gauge whether a player that talented would possibly transfer. I had a friend who is close to the Curry's and he told me WEEKS before Seth made the decision, that he was likely leaving LU at the end of the season.

Technically, even with the one and dones, coaches don't know for sure if those players are going to declare. They don't have to. It's a risk to recruit those players. But when you get them, you are elevated to an entirely different level. And you get the opportunity to coach a potential NBA star. I would be ecstatic if McKay was willing to gamble on the mid-major version of the one and done.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
First schools publicly linked with Rowsey include NC State, Cincinnati, South Carolina
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:The NCAA needs to crack down hard on transfers, and eliminate 99% of them.
I disagree. Sometimes a student isn't the right fit for the school, there are family emergencies, etc...
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:The NCAA needs to crack down hard on transfers, and eliminate 99% of them.
I disagree as well. Lots of issues go into a transfer. I would actually like to see them loosen the restrictions so that if a coach leaves so can the player w/o penalty. The vast majority of players chose a school based on the coach
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
When a player signs with a school, he should stay there for 4 years (unless he gets degree early). Granted, players do "play for the coach", but in reality they are playing for the team/school. If NCAA would crack down on transfers, it would help recruiting overall. When a player signs, he should be committed to that school. Players should not come and go as they choose. I may be in a minority on this stand, but I bet most coaches would agree with me.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
When a player signs with a school, he signs a one-year scholarship that the coach can renew or cancel every year. The player should be able to have the same freedom.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
That needs to be changed. College is normally a 4 year deal, thus players should not just be signed for a year. Allowing players to come and go freely, will mess up college sports more than they are now.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
They shouldn't be able to come and go freely. They should have to sit a year. If they choose to do that, they should be able to leave.

AKA the rule is a good rule.
Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my […]

LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]