If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

adam42381 wrote:I'm a Tar Heel fan, but this is really bad. I think Roy Williams ends up getting fired. Too bad he's not as good a guy as Saint John of Lexington.
Well, for that to happen, you would have to count on the NCAA to actually do something of an significance, when they haven't shown the balls to do anything other than punishments for minor offenses since their screwed up hack jobs with Penn State and Miami.
If UNC does get hammered, which I won't believe they will until I see it happen, I think there will be a whole lot of important open positions at UNC. Getting a new basketball coach could be the least of their worries. The lying and cover up operation will be a large reason behind getting hammered, if it happens.

And UNC better hope Mary Willingham has a price given that she has filed a civil suit against UNC, they don't want this mess going into court. Or hope the judge assigned to the case is a UNC alum or sympathizer.
Here's an update. Let the Carolina fans renew the spin ...
Bloomberg wrote:Scandals
UNC Admits Fake Classes for Athletes Were Widespread: Four Blunt Points
By Paul M. Barrett October 22, 2014

The University of North Carolina on Wednesday admitted its academic-fraud-for-athletes scandal was worse than the public has previously been told. That’s saying something. After all, the practice at Chapel Hill of steering football and basketball players into fake classes had already made North Carolina the epicenter of a national debate about the corrupting effects of the $16 billion college athletics industry. Four blunt points:

1. The deceit was widespread and aimed at keeping athletes eligible. For years, UNC officials have resisted the obvious indications that academics were compromised to promote sports. That resistance has finally collapsed. The latest in a series of university-sponsored investigations revealed that over 18 years—from 1993 through 2011—some 3,100 students took “paper classes” with no faculty oversight and no actual class attendance.
Click Here for Full Story
Sly Fox wrote:Here's an update. Let the Carolina fans renew the spin ...
Bloomberg wrote:Scandals
UNC Admits Fake Classes for Athletes Were Widespread: Four Blunt Points
By Paul M. Barrett October 22, 2014

The University of North Carolina on Wednesday admitted its academic-fraud-for-athletes scandal was worse than the public has previously been told. That’s saying something. After all, the practice at Chapel Hill of steering football and basketball players into fake classes had already made North Carolina the epicenter of a national debate about the corrupting effects of the $16 billion college athletics industry. Four blunt points:

1. The deceit was widespread and aimed at keeping athletes eligible. For years, UNC officials have resisted the obvious indications that academics were compromised to promote sports. That resistance has finally collapsed. The latest in a series of university-sponsored investigations revealed that over 18 years—from 1993 through 2011—some 3,100 students took “paper classes” with no faculty oversight and no actual class attendance.
Click Here for Full Story
I've heard this all day
SMU Football had nothing on these guys. This was systemic and went on for years. Any other school would be worried about the Death Penalty for the Athletic Department.
This goes beyond your Maryland obligation and short sightedness for the best basketball conference/school in the country.

My biggest question is, is LU participating in something similar ? UNC is getting busted, but how many other schools in the country are doing similar things ? Im not accusing LU, and have zero knowledge of this kind of scandal going on here, but its not out of the relm.

I guess if you look at our record the last few years, thats good evidence that we are not participating in those type of things, our students are definately in class vs practicing. I kid.
lynchburgwildcats wrote:
jbock13 wrote:John Calipari.
Yawn. Come talk to me when you have a quip that would require the intelligence of someone with an education surpassing kindergarten.
Kind of sad that its so easy to knock a program that a kindergartner could do it.
R i wrote: My biggest question is, is LU participating in something similar ? UNC is getting busted, but how many other schools in the country are doing similar things ? Im not accusing LU, and have zero knowledge of this kind of scandal going on here, but its not out of the relm.
When I was a tutor I never had anyone with fake classes...but if you failed classes it was a real effort. You had access to tutors in every subject, monitored study hours if you were borderline failing or a freshman. You could have a tutor "help" you write a paper and they'd sit with you the whole time. On occasion test were taken in the FOC monitored by tutors, that would be about the only thing that may be considered "questionable".

The tutor thing was a nice gig though, only on campus student job that paid more then minimum wage and you were paid even if no one needed help.
I was drawn to this topic because I like the Tar Heels, and UNC is one of the schools I'm applying to as a transfer. So naturally, I'm paying very close attention to this whole debacle. A few thoughts:
  • This was mostly a departmental failure. Based on the latest findings, it should not affect the reputability of any other degree that UNC offers. Despite the seemingly large number of students involved in these classes (3,100), it's not a lot compared to the number of students who have earned undergrad, graduate, and postgrad degrees in various fields from UNC over that 20-year period. The vast majority of those people, and 100% of subsequent graduates, still are brilliant people who worked very hard for a strong degree from an exceptional institution. However…
  • …perception could turn out to be more important than reality. The danger to UNC students and alumni lies in public perception. Will the general public a) become aware of this scandal and b) spin headlines into a false idea that the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill—one of the original Public Ivies—is somehow suddenly a diploma mill (as LUinPA suggested in jest )? That's the outcome UNC needs to actively work to avoid.
  • This was a major failing, no doubt about that. UNC agrees. However, let's not pretend that most Division I schools don't take… questionable measures to keep student-athletes academically eligible. Heck, that even happens in high school. That doesn't make it any less wrong, and most of those schools don't take it so far, but it does mean there's a larger issue than just UNC in play here. The problem of student-athletes needing fake grades to maintain a paltry 2.0 GPA extends far beyond UNC, and that's something people need to start paying attention to as the dust settles.
  • TPTB at UNC are not trying to sweep this under the rug. They are taking responsibility, firing, disciplining, and vowing new standards of academic rigor for student-athletes as recompense. They are closing the loopholes that created this problem so it can't happen again.
  • What the NCAA does—whatever that may be—won't affect the school's academic credentials, just their athletic ones, and that will be temporary. The school needs to control the impact to their academic reputation, mostly by keeping UNC in the media in a positive light (which, as a research university, shouldn't be hard). UNC's history and reputation can prevent this scandal from becoming an academic death sentence.

That's my two cents.
From the class of 09 wrote: The tutor thing was a nice gig though, only on campus student job that paid more then minimum wage and you were paid even if no one needed help.
Oh I remember. We did our entire Business Policy Course Project during those tutor times

Man remember when we for to put the extra zeros and the Proffessor FREAKED and accused us of gaming the system ?

We dominated the fake computer software industry for a couple quarters.
BCXtreme wrote:[*]TPTB at UNC are not trying to sweep this under the rug. They are taking responsibility, firing, disciplining, and vowing new standards of academic rigor for student-athletes as recompense. They are closing the loopholes that created this problem so it can't happen again.
That's great, but who will be enforcing these new standards? UNC. A school that has systematically shown for 18 years (and realistically longer than that) that academics is a distant second to athletics.
ATrain wrote:
lynchburgwildcats wrote:
jbock13 wrote:John Calipari.
Yawn. Come talk to me when you have a quip that would require the intelligence of someone with an education surpassing kindergarten.
Kind of sad that its so easy to knock a program that a kindergartner could do it.
I guess I should rephrase it, someone that can read, meaning UNC athletes need not apply.
Last edited by lynchburgwildcats on October 23rd, 2014, 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

When you have a chance to pick up a talent like th[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]

New Mexico State

Final home CUSA 3 game series, starts tonight. NM[…]