If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Compliance expert John Infante has a solid article on the lesser-knowns parts of the death penalty that can be levied against UNC that wouldn't harm current "student"-athletes.

http://30mileradius.com/2014/10/unc-sho ... h-penalty/
But the death penalty includes two other penalties that make even more sense given the way the scandal at UNC went down:

* The requirement that all institutional staff members serving on the Board of Directors, Leadership Council, Legislative Council or other cabinets or committees of the Association resign those positions, it being understood that all institutional representatives shall be ineligible to serve on any NCAA committee for a prescribed period; and
* The requirement that the institution relinquish its voting privilege in the Association for a prescribed period.

The heart of the UNC scandal is not in the actions of an athlete, coach, or even the academic advisors pushing athletes toward the paper courses. It is in UNC’s lack of oversight and institutional control over both the athletics department and AFAM department which allowed the fraud to being, perpetuate, and grow. UNC should not be permitted to have a say in what other institutions can do until it proves it has its own house in order.

This may seem like a pointless penalty because it does not directly impact UNC competitively but it would be imposed at a unique time in NCAA history. UNC just landed on the right side of the divide in Division I, gaining an additional level of autonomy over the rules that will govern its athletic department. To have that stripped away, to be on the outside looking in during a period of major change in the NCAA is no small matter. Aside from losing its votes in the autonomy and shared governance legislative processes, UNC would also be left out of the Board of Directors, Council, and the new substructure which the Council will create. In short, UNC would not just miss out on some votes about NCAA rules. It will have no voice in deciding how the NCAA will be governed for the foreseeable future.
And UNC has been a mighty influential voice at the table in NCAA governance as well. As an ironic example, they are the ones that spearheaded the movement to get the APR and it's coinciding rules introduced. In hindsight, now it looks like UNC wanted to push that through because they could potentially punish their competition while cheating to ensure they got even more advantage over them...
FSU was an online music class where answers were given to non athletes as well as athletes.
Bobby Bowden was unaware cheating was going on, just like the coaches at UNC. The football team had to forfeit wins during this time. I wonder if UNC will have to give up BB championships during the 18 yrs period. Also our bowl game that year, we had 30 players ineligible to play against UK. We nearly won the game.
4everfsu wrote:FSU was an online music class where answers were given to non athletes as well as athletes.
Bobby Bowden was unaware cheating was going on, just like the coaches at UNC. The football team had to forfeit wins during this time. I wonder if UNC will have to give up BB championships during the 18 yrs period. Also our bowl game that year, we had 30 players ineligible to play against UK. We nearly won the game.
If UNC has to give up championships in any sport, I do believe it would be the first time an NCAA Championship has been revoked. And no, USC's championship from the Reggie Bush era was not an NCAA Championship, so don't even attempt to bring that up.
ANd one of the last things UNC needed, we finally have at least one prominent person calling out UNC for the inherently racist aspect of this whole ordeal - mostly African-American students being placed in fraud African studies classes just so the school can use them to get more wins and with little to no regard over how ill-prepared these kids would be for the real world post-"graduation."

Al Sharpton with an impromptu interview with TMZ
http://tmz.dpl.edgesuite.net/now/stitch ... ontent.mp4
And this is why I have zero confidence the reforms UNC is supposedly going to be enforcing are doomed from the start. In a press-conference interview yesterday, Roy Williams was inevitably asked about the situation. AT one point he said
"I feel strongly, strongly that we did things the right way."
How can UNC expect reforms to work when you still have your most high profile coach going in front of the media to tell the world that he still "strongly, strongly" thinks that all of this mass fraud and cheating is "the right way?"
lynchburgwildcats wrote:And this is why I have zero confidence the reforms UNC is supposedly going to be enforcing are doomed from the start. In a press-conference interview yesterday, Roy Williams was inevitably asked about the situation. AT one point he said
How can UNC expect reforms to work when you still have your most high profile coach going in front of the media to tell the world that he still "strongly, strongly" thinks that all of this mass fraud and cheating is "the right way?"
It is called the Carolina Way.
4everfsu wrote:
lynchburgwildcats wrote:And this is why I have zero confidence the reforms UNC is supposedly going to be enforcing are doomed from the start. In a press-conference interview yesterday, Roy Williams was inevitably asked about the situation. AT one point he said
It is called the Carolina Way.
Touche.
flameshaw wrote:Butch Davis and Mack Brown said today that they had no knowledge of the "paper only" classes for athletes. I chortle audibly.. Reminds me of. "if you like your health plan, you can keep your health plan". Hard to make this stuff up.
Or Shovel ready jobs. Except in this case it would be 'Credit ready courses'
http://chronicle.com/blogs/conversation ... editation/

The Chronicle of Higher Education, via Macalester College President Brian C. Rosenberg, is calling for UNC to lose its accreditation.

And in searching through the supporting documents, I have found instances where students were set up with these fraud classes so they can get the Pell Grant (Pell Grant was specifically mentioned in at least one email, not the ambiguous word "check"). That could very well end up being Pell Grant Fraud.
By Kiwon
Prediction: Virtually nothing will be done.

The academics can handwring all they want. It will be $$$ over their own rules.

Over the years, hundreds of people knew what was going and did nothing. Why will they start now? Oh yeah.....there's a lawsuit going on. I guess it's time to be forced to admit 5% of the truth. No worries, this sudden fever of 'morality' will pass.

When so-called "elite" academic institutions are obsessed with "White Privilege" and everything LGBTQQUIA, there's a lot more heat going on than light, i.e., real education.

Personally, I'm glad it's an ACC school getting dressed down rather than a SEC school in the region where the supposed stupid Bible thumpers reside. After the Duke lacross fiasco (in which exactly one of the eight-eight professors who publicly accused three innocent players of rape ever APOLOGIZED), the PC-rot needs to be exposed. Oh, who signed the open letter accusing the players?.....90 percent of the African and African American studies department, 60 percent of the Women’s Studies and a third of the English department. Tough guess, right?

Read K.C. Johnson's masterful Until Proven Innocent: Political Correctness and the Shameful Injustices of the Duke Lacrosse Rape Case and watch your blood pressure as unaccountable academics chose fiction over fact and self-righteously justify wanting to see three innocent men sent to prison for 20 years.

http://www.amazon.com/Until-Proven-Inno ... 8&sr=&qid=

Again, my prediction is very, very little will be done to correct what went on at UNC and is currently going on at any number of D1 schools across the nation.
By Kiwon
aredd33 wrote:
4everfsu wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH5Gbsn ... qTp90alyFg
Yes.
That's great. Even Hitler and the Nazis get it.

GASP! Dare I be biblical and repeat the words of Solomon as he channels 'Wisdom' from Proverbs 1:20-33? (Note: Wisdom from God via Solomon. Emphasis added by Kiwon)

20Wisdom shouts in the street,
She lifts her voice in the square;

21At the head of the noisy streets she cries out;
At the entrance of the gates in the city she utters her sayings:

22“How long, O naive ones, will you love being simple-minded?
And scoffers delight themselves in scoffing
And fools hate knowledge?

23“Turn to my reproof,
Behold, I will pour out my spirit on you;
I will make my words known to you.

24“Because I called and you refused,
I stretched out my hand and no one paid attention;

25And you neglected all my counsel
And did not want my reproof;

26I will also laugh at your calamity;
I will mock when your dread comes,

27When your dread comes like a storm
And your calamity comes like a whirlwind,
When distress and anguish come upon you.

28“Then they will call on me, but I will not answer;
They will seek me diligently but they will not find me,

29Because they hated knowledge
And did not choose the fear of the LORD.

30“They would not accept my counsel,
They spurned all my reproof.

31“So they shall eat of the fruit of their own way
And be satiated with their own devices.

32“For the waywardness of the naive will kill them,
And the complacency of fools will destroy them.

33“But he who listens to me shall live securely
And will be at ease from the dread of evil.”
By Kiwon
Old Testament or New Testament, there is one God, and there's nothing "weird" about applying the truth (the Bible) to everyday life. That's kind of the point of Proverbs. :roll:

As for UNC, officials began and continued a program they knew was in violation of school and NCAA standards for 18 years and no one put an end to it. That's 18 years of cover-up and duplicity. In Bible-speak it's called "sin." And God (the main character of the Bible) allows bad things to happen to people who knowingly sin, which might just include the tarnishing of the reputation of a well-known secular university.

So the obvious lesson is......Don't sin. Do the right thing. Keep the rules. Don't compromise your values or ethics, institutionally or individually.

In terms of penalities, UNC will deserve what it gets and won't get what it deserves.....well, because it's UNC and other schools are doing the same thing. Why punishing every school doing the wrong thing would be the right thing to do and we don't really expect the NCAA to do that, do we?
By Kiwon
Purple Haize wrote:I was unaware UNC was a Christian Institution
Hey, you’re on to something! The new standard should be that rules apply differently whether employees are professing Christians or not.

And if that standard is good enough for the workplace then why not in Sports too? Turner Gill should immediately get the NCAA to agree that for the Coastal game that the Flames get five chances to gain a first down, John Lunsford gets do-overs on any missed kick, and personal fouls WON’T be called on LU players no matter what they do.

It’s okay to play dirty as long as Liberty makes the Playoffs for the first time. Our Christian players deserve special benefits that the other players don’t receive. #BeatCoastal!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Kiwon wrote:
Hey, you’re on to something! The new standard should be that rules apply differently whether employees are professing Christians or not.

And if that standard is good enough for the workplace then why not in Sports too? Turner Gill should immediately get the NCAA to agree that for the Coastal game that the Flames get five chances to gain a first down, John Lunsford gets do-overs on any missed kick, and personal fouls WON’T be called on LU players no matter what they do.

It’s okay to play dirty as long as Liberty makes the Playoffs for the first time. Our Christian players deserve special benefits that the other players don’t receive. #BeatCoastal!
I appreciate the sarcasm, but what you post really makes no sense. I am not surprised when non Chrstians do non Christian non Christian things. Nor do I apply Scripture to their mid deeds because they do not follow the Scripture.
However they (UNC) is supposed to follow the NCAA rule book and that would be more relevant to quote than Scripture.
By 4everfsu
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Kiwon wrote:

I appreciate the sarcasm, but what you post really makes no sense. I am not surprised when non Chrstians do non Christian non Christian things. Nor do I apply Scripture to their mid deeds because they do not follow the Scripture.
However they (UNC) is supposed to follow the NCAA rule book and that would be more relevant to quote than Scripture.
Obviously it looks like UNC has read either.
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]