If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By BlueBlood
Its spot on. All the work A&M did the past few years to try to escape the little brother label was just completely voided.

They misread the room big time and as a result look more like a pouting little brother than ever. They should have just publicly stated "We look forward to beating you on the field" and left it at that.
ballcoach15, LUOrange liked this
By Ill flame
LUGrad2000 wrote: August 5th, 2021, 1:25 pm I know that LU would not make this public, but any idea what our deal with ESPN is worth?
I doubt we would never know but it can't be worth much. It wouldn't surprise me if LU gave up some $$$ to get a guaranteed game on a linear channel.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: August 6th, 2021, 8:25 am Being an Indy really paid off for us last year. Notre Dame, BYU, Army all remain independent. Not a bad place to be right now IMO.
Last year being the weirdest year in Sports ever…not sure that would be something I would want to base the future path of LU football on though.
alabama24 liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Not to sound like @tyndal23, here, but being an Indy rises and falls on our ability to schedule. With a schedule like last year’s and this year’s the margins are razor thin since the schedule is so weak. If we could have at least half of our games be top 50 teams, independent seems viable long-term. That way our season doesn’t rise and fall on the results of one or two games.

If we land someplace like the AAC, the conference schedule itself takes care of strength of schedule for the most part and then we have wiggle room to do what we need with the non-conference.
Liberty22, ballcoach15, Ill flame and 1 others liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: August 6th, 2021, 11:10 am Not to sound like @tyndal23, here, but being an Indy rises and falls on our ability to schedule. With a schedule like last year’s and this year’s the margins are razor thin since the schedule is so weak. If we could have at least half of our games be top 50 teams, independent seems viable long-term. That way our season doesn’t rise and fall on the results of one or two games.

If we land someplace like the AAC, the conference schedule itself takes care of strength of schedule for the most part and then we have wiggle room to do what we need with the non-conference.
You sound like the Anti-Tyndal :D
LUOrange liked this
By tyndal23
Purple Haize wrote: August 6th, 2021, 11:27 am
stokesjokes wrote: August 6th, 2021, 11:10 am Not to sound like @tyndal23, here, but being an Indy rises and falls on our ability to schedule. With a schedule like last year’s and this year’s the margins are razor thin since the schedule is so weak. If we could have at least half of our games be top 50 teams, independent seems viable long-term. That way our season doesn’t rise and fall on the results of one or two games.

You sound like the Anti-Tyndal :D
Sounds more like a brother from another mother....
LUOrange liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts

Don't get me wrong, I'd take an offer to the AAC, but that likely won't get us many top 50 games either once they get raided. I don't see a scenario that they don't get raided that also involves us with an AAC invite.

Our schedule was put together quickly and at the time it was put together we had practically no FBS wins. The schedule being thin was partially by design. You gotta remember, it's only our 3rd year of bowl eligibility and we're just now getting to a full FBS roster. We kind of needed a thin schedule to have any chance of early success.

We did exceptionally well up until now, and whether it's Indy or AAC we're in a great spot all things considered. But there is a part of me that just wants to embrace the chip on our shoulders from not being wanted by any FBS conference and remain independent.
stokesjokes, Liberty22 liked this
By Ill flame
Kricket wrote: August 6th, 2021, 7:20 pm
Don't get me wrong, I'd take an offer to the AAC, but that likely won't get us many top 50 games either once they get raided. I don't see a scenario that they don't get raided that also involves us with an AAC invite.

Our schedule was put together quickly and at the time it was put together we had practically no FBS wins. The schedule being thin was partially by design. You gotta remember, it's only our 3rd year of bowl eligibility and we're just now getting to a full FBS roster. We kind of needed a thin schedule to have any chance of early success.

We did exceptionally well up until now, and whether it's Indy or AAC we're in a great spot all things considered. But there is a part of me that just wants to embrace the chip on our shoulders from not being wanted by any FBS conference and remain independent.
For this reason I wouldn't be at all upset if that's the route they choose to stay on in the future. Unfortunately our other sports being in the asun is a bandaid solution that likely won't last more than 5-10 years before the other schools reach their boiling point of not being able to compete. Part of me wishes going independent in all sports was a more sustainable route.
Kricket liked this
By tyndal23
Kricket wrote: August 6th, 2021, 7:20 pm

I think every team outside the SEC is somewhat concerned about their “spot” in the coming tsunami...even ND.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
…but some teams have more reasons to worry than others.

We have done much better than expected with being Independent. We have done better than if we had received an invite to the Sun Belt. However, if Freeze leaves… and certainly if McCaw leaves too… we will be hurting.
Kricket, Ill flame, LUOrange liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote: August 8th, 2021, 8:15 am …but some teams have more reasons to worry than others.

We have done much better than expected with being Independent. We have done better than if we had received an invite to the Sun Belt. However, if Freeze leaves… and certainly if McCaw leaves too… we will be hurting.
I think I know how we could lock in Ian for life.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote: August 8th, 2021, 8:15 am …but some teams have more reasons to worry than others.

Exactly. Notre Dame is surveying. I doubt they're overly concerned as they could be in the SEC in a heartbeat if desired.

I don't think Ian is overly concerned with conference realignment. It's an opportunity he's paying close attention to but not one that should frighten us. He's saying Indy is sustainable, meaning, we could stay Indy and continue to grow like we have. That doesn't mean there's no other alternative we couldn't grow, just that we're in a spot that we don't have to worry much.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Kricket wrote: August 8th, 2021, 9:45 am

Exactly. Notre Dame is surveying. I doubt they're overly concerned as they could be in the SEC in a heartbeat if desired.

I don't think Ian is overly concerned with conference realignment. It's an opportunity he's paying close attention to but not one that should frighten us. He's saying Indy is sustainable, meaning, we could stay Indy and continue to grow like we have. That doesn't mean there's no other alternative we couldn't grow, just that we're in a spot that we don't have to worry much.
“Indy is sustainable “ = don’t want to sound desperate
LUOrange liked this
By LUalum12
Registration Days Posts
If he were interested, it would make total since. Ian as the next LU prez. I am sure with his pedigree, faith, and wiliness to get things done, success would be on the horizon. He has taken athletics to a new level. What could he do if he were in charge of the ship? and not just a section of it. :)
ballcoach15, LUOrange liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
There is a vacant house on the mountain. There will probably be another vacancy in the next couple of years. And, there is the lot that Jr. promised KE. :D
In all seriousness, we need to get some GOOD leadership on the mountain before long, or I see the chances of us losing Ian and Freeze, go waaaaay up.
Ian doesn't need to be the president, probably doesn't want it. But they need to give him the Flames Club back (if he wants it) and give him as much responsibility and money as he wants.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote: August 8th, 2021, 8:55 pm Is there something that we can do on our end to promote this to the "leadership" we have now?
Have no idea. They don't seem to be in a hurry to fix much of anything. I do credit the current leadership with seemingly staying out of the way of athletic improvement. At least from an outsiders point of view.
Liberty22, LUOrange liked this
Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

Were not done https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/s[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]