If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
We have discussed a CUSA split ad nauseum over the years that could potentially create a nice regional east coast league. The last day or so Matt Brown of Extra Points has been dropping hints that it is becoming a distinct possibility:

I dont have to remind anyone here what school sits squarely between those to schools. Other schools referenced in regard to this potential new league with auto bid in pocket would be Charlotte, WKU and the Florida twins. It might be attractive enought to entice App State and Coastal from the Belt. Just pure speculation and even if happened there is no certainty we would want to be included.
By Ill flame
The reality is that these lower G5 schools can save more money by going to a more regionally aligned conference than they are making from tv in their current situations. Based on the source below Marshall spent $5.32 million in GameDay expenses and travel costs. I assume travel is the overwhelming majority of the spending in that category.

If Marshall can cut travel costs by 20% (which seems feasible considering they probably won't be sending obscure teams to El Paso) that's around $1.1 million saved per year. That's about 3 times more than the $400,000 they are getting from their tv contract.

I imagine the tv contract would be the same or better on a per school basis with a new, smaller eastern conference since the money will be spread across fewer teams. There's also that NCAA tournament money that would be spread across fewer teams also. It really seems like a no brainer to me for schools below the AAC level.

With that being said liberty isn't in a place where it needs to save or make money to be successful right now so moving to a conference like this isn't as much of an obvious decision compared to schools like ODU or Charlotte.

http://cafidatabase.knightcommission.or ... ion_data-0
Liberty22, LUOrange liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 7:18 am We can’t be sure the TV contract would be better. That’s a legitimate fear by schools.
They can’t be sure their next TV contract is going to be as good as their current one if things stay the same either. They need to control what they can control
LUOrange liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
To be clear, the idea of a regionally based conference aside from football would have appeal. The ASUN has been a nice fit for us but trips to Conway, Arkansas don't bring much for many folks aside from SumItUp. A tighter regional league with CUSA brands that are more familiar than the ASUN folks who come through town would be an upgrade.

But football is driving realignment making the decision to join worthy of further thought. Depending on how many teams joine dthis new eastern league (5 current CUSA members would be required) would determine how much flexibility we have in scheduling. As Ian has pointed out, that freedom in scheduling has been an unexpected blessing. If we get squeezed down to only have 3-4 slots to schedule ourselves it limits our choices. On the upside, it would likely guarantee a game in South Florida every year if the Florida Twins are involved as expected. It would also put us contention for one of those 6 projected auto bids for the 12-team playoff. I am not among those who sees independence as an easier path to the new playoff structure. I believe our best opportunity would be to land one of those two G5/6 auto bid slots. I suspect that is weighing on BYU's choices right now as well. This is where having a well connected AD like Ian who can read the landscape well is so valuable.

I have been reading the JMU board and most reasonable folks on there who don't believe that Big XII/AAC is the only situation worthy of leaving the CAA see this CUSA split as their FBS ticket. I am not sure tha even if this happans that they would make the cut. Particularly if the new league values App State & Coastal more and they are willing to depart the Belt to renew old rivalries.
LUOrange liked this
By LUOrange
I'm certainly not opposed to this proposed CUSA split/east coast regional conference as an alternative to an AAC or better invite. We'd have to also consider what the AAC and/orB12 will actually look like once the music stops. This proposal is obviously by far more desirable than the ASUN, and I'd hope we wouldn't be an opposition to JMU tagging along. The I81 Dukies would make awesome rivals in every sport. However, I'll temper my excitement for now cause based on McCaw's recent interviews with the LYH media, I believe he's dropped some hints that he's cooking something. Of course, my tea leaf reading might be off as well.
Last edited by LUOrange on August 3rd, 2021, 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Sour grapes & posturing. An ugly combo.

As for ACC, they would have died in the last round of realignment if not for the Grant of Rights epiphany. No that has turned into handcuffs for Clemson, FSU, UNC and the Virginians. They are a large fish that is roughly half the size of influence of the whale in the Midwest. But eventually even the pluckiest of fish cannot withstand the mouth of the whale.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
What is so attractive about the B10 ? Every team in conference is overrated most seasons. Ohio State is only team fron conference to make playoffs, that I can recall.
Everyone outside of B10 should ignore B10. Pretend they don't exist.
By Ill flame
Michigan st also made a playoff. Fun fact, the big ten is the only conference in the CFP era to get 4 teams in the top 10 for the final rankings. The SEC has had 3 several times but never 4. So they aren't the only conference with more than one elite program.
Last edited by Ill flame on August 3rd, 2021, 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 8:46 pm Michigan st also made a playoff. Fun fact, the big ten is the only conference in the CFP era to get 4 teams in the top 10 for the final rankings. The SEC has had 3 several times but never 4. So they aren't the only team with more than one elite program.
Pollsters over rank B10 teams to build up a fake strength of schedule, for the conference. Check their bowl records, and this will probably be proven.

B10 is 21-17 in bowl games since 2014. Probably on par with MAC or CUSA.
By cruzan_flame13
Kricket wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 10:37 pm
cruzan_flame13 wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 10:02 pm This is sad; and CUSA is a better step for us? :roll:

It's not. I honestly am not sure the AAC will be after all this shakes out.
Money is what is important here. Not dying this will happen, but what if LU proposed a big fee to enter a valid conference for the next possible realignment? I mean we proposed about $30 million to a CUSA conference and that was a nice chunk at the time. Would it be foolish for LU to proposed $50-100 million to get in a good position? Would it work or will it be squashed like before because Liberty is not liked so much?
By cruzan_flame13
Kricket wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 11:17 pm Idk who we would offer 50 to 100 million to. What conference is worth offering that to at this point. Is there one outside of P5?
We wouldn't know at this point, yet it might be worthy if the BIG 12 miraculously exist past 2025. I would say to give it a try and see if they would like to have access to the DMV (D.C., Maryland, Virginia) area. Also how valuable will tv remain in a few years? We are in the age of streaming. Our vast alumni nationality/internationally could be a big boost if the BIG12 establish a network which could be bought off by Amazon, Disney, ESPN, Etc.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Why is Big 12 on shakey ground just because 2 schools are leaving ? Just add 2 or 3 schools and keep playing. If I were a fan of a remaining school, I'd be happy Texas and Okies are gone. More wins for my team.
This year's men’s basketball?

Lol. Too white?

NMSU

Who is this mystery man?

Charlotte

Charlotte comes to Liberty Wednesday, for a 4:00 p[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

This past weekend I saw my neighbor at HEB.