If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote: August 25th, 2022, 7:46 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: August 25th, 2022, 6:41 am That is true. I can't believe NCAA allowed this to happen. Poor leadership, I guess. Transfers should be allowed only for hardship cases.
Actually its great leadership. Scholarships are a 1 year contract, not 4+.
His ability to identify leadership is questionable
By Class of 20Something
The "free agency" of college sports is making the on field product of football better than I can remember, even with the overly bloated FBS ranks. Currently 11 G5 teams have an FPI above the midpoint. Additionally, 58 of the 131 projected starting QBs are transfers! And 26 of them are starting at G5 schools, with 17 of them transferring from P5 schools. I would rather quality players be on the field than the bench. And this is just quarterbacks!

Are there merits to staying with a school you committed to and trying to grind your way to the top of the depth chart? Sure. But we all also know that game snaps are hyper valuable. And in this landscape, whatever gets the best players, the most opportunities, both in college and in preparing their NFL resume, is a win for fans.
rtb72 liked this
By Class of 20Something
Showing my 5 year old daughter the updated field and she immediately keyed in on the new CUSA logos and asked what that was about. After having her spell it back to me, I was pretty happy to tell her that because of how well football has played that football and all the other sports get to go to a new group of schools that play better than the teams they were playing.
By Ill flame
According to UTEPs AD, C-USA was very close to keeping all the schools that jumped to sunbelt with the addition of JMU and liberty. I remember there being rumors but evidently it was closer to reality than I realized. That would've been a much better timeline. I still think the eastern sunbelt schools are going to break off eventually though. Most of the sunbelt west is dead weight. Only the MAC is as bad.

https://www.bgdailynews.com/sports/wku/ ... ab16a.html
LUOrange liked this
By rtb72
Class of 20Something wrote: August 26th, 2022, 9:12 am The "free agency" of college sports is making the on field product of football better than I can remember, even with the overly bloated FBS ranks. Currently 11 G5 teams have an FPI above the midpoint. Additionally, 58 of the 131 projected starting QBs are transfers! And 26 of them are starting at G5 schools, with 17 of them transferring from P5 schools. I would rather quality players be on the field than the bench. And this is just quarterbacks!

Are there merits to staying with a school you committed to and trying to grind your way to the top of the depth chart? Sure. But we all also know that game snaps are hyper valuable. And in this landscape, whatever gets the best players, the most opportunities, both in college and in preparing their NFL resume, is a win for fans.
...and LU!
By LUOrange
Ill flame wrote: August 26th, 2022, 11:37 pm According to UTEPs AD, C-USA was very close to keeping all the schools that jumped to sunbelt with the addition of JMU and liberty. I remember there being rumors but evidently it was closer to reality than I realized. That would've been a much better timeline. I still think the eastern sunbelt schools are going to break off eventually though. Most of the sunbelt west is dead weight. Only the MAC is as bad.

https://www.bgdailynews.com/sports/wku/ ... ab16a.html
I had UTEP pegged as one of the two schools to vote against us that allowed JMU the wiggle room to pursue the Sun Belt. I don't think So. Miss leaving played that big of a factor for Marshall and ODU, who were trying to get closer rivals and reduce travel. But I agree, I see the Sun Belt East breaking off at some point within the next 10 years and us joining it, if we're not lucky enough to join a severely watered down ACC.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Both the UTeP & La Tech contingents were allegedly the most steadfast against our membership. Keep in mind that ADs often have very different perspctives than university presidents. I think they feel rather differntly about us under current circumstances.
LUOrange, Baybird liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JMU was out to hose LU period. They have a burr in their bonnet about it and are happy to get others to play along. Which has the makings of a great rivalry
Baybird liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
They were along for the ride with Marshall & ODU. We were the burr in everyone else's saddle. Much to the dismay of everyone in Harrisonburg, even they realize that we are a better rival moving forward than ODU.
LUOrange liked this
By LUOrange
Sly Fox wrote: August 27th, 2022, 11:37 am They were along for the ride with Marshall & ODU. We were the burr in everyone else's saddle. Much to the dismay of everyone in Harrisonburg, even they realize that we are a better rival moving forward than ODU.
We should have packed houses when we play them in 11 years... :roll:
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: August 27th, 2022, 5:52 pm Liberty should pretend JMU doesn't exist, when it comes to 🏈 & 🏀. Never play them.
With all due respect, Ballcoach, I couldn't disagree more. I love playing JMU. Their part of the state is so close and beautiful to visit, and they are the perfect in-state rival for LU. And they have a huge fan base in the Lynchburg area (and I love saying that JMU stands for "Just Missed UVa). :rofl
LUOrange, JK37, alabama24 and 2 others liked this
By LUOrange
So if B10 adds OR and WA, like most of us probably expect, and Stanford and CA as well that gets them to 18. It begs can they the Irish plus 1 to get to 20? Then does the remaining 6 PAC schools band together and poach from the AAC and MWC, or does they all join the B12? Certainly the SEC starts poaching and it trickles down to us in some fashion, which is all I really care about. Otherwise, I really don't like all of this realignment and destroying of rivalries and traditions. I'm still whining and wishing that the NCAA would step in and allow football only FBS conferences and then reshuffle the all-sports conferences according to regions and similarities as much as possible.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
If the B1G takes Stanford they have zero reason to invite Cal. I believe Washington & Oregon to B1G is inevitable. Stanford gets in if Notre Dame gives in. As soon as Seattle & eugene are B1G territory, the Pac-12 leftovers get picked over by the Big XII. That's Cal's best scenario outside of UDub & Oregon sticking around for a few years.
Purple Haize liked this
By Ill flame
If the big ten takes the 4 pac 12 teams you mentioned I assume the Arizona schools, Colorado and Utah would go to the big 12 while Oregon st and Washington st gets relegated to MWC since the big 12 won't be interested. I think adding Oregon and Washington would be a good move for the big 10 at this point but adding Cal would be a mistake, they are just another Rutgers.

There's a decent chance that the above happens and realignment really doesn't trickle down to us. In the event that the pac 6 schools stick together and add the top MWC schools then it will significantly alter the G5 which could be good for us. I just hope all of this happens after we have a few C-USA championships under our belt.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Oregon State & Wazzu will be left holding the keys to an autonomous conference at least for the time being. That means they will be in an enviable position to pick and choose who they want to invite. The question then becomes do the top MWC schools value Pac membership and shedding MWC deadwight above MWC exit fees.
By Ill flame
Sly Fox wrote: September 2nd, 2022, 12:13 pm The question then becomes do the top MWC schools value Pac membership and shedding MWC deadwight above MWC exit fees.
There's no question the top MWC schools would jump to the pac 12 but it likely won't be up to them. The real question is if Utah, Colorado and the Arizona schools are willing to stay where they are with the top teams gone or go to the big 12. If Oregon and Washington go to the big 10 I think the pac 12 ultimately folds.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
There's going to be a lot of cross country travel for some teams. Flying Olympic sports teams from coast to coast will get expensive. i can see them crying now, wanting special waviers, etc from NCAA
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: September 2nd, 2022, 3:39 pm Waivers for what?

If you can figure out travel will be expensive, I’m certain Rob Mullens and Jenny Cohen can, too.
Who ?

I probably should have said they will request special scheduling considerations.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: September 2nd, 2022, 3:39 pm Waivers for what?

If you can figure out travel will be expensive, I’m certain Rob Mullens and Jenny Cohen can, too.
Don’t expect him to actually know what he’s talking about.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Should’ve ignored him in yet another situation when he has no clue what he’s talking about. The ncaa has nothing to do with scheduling waivers. I don’t even know what that is? :lol:
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
When schedules are made involving West Coast schools in Big 10, you will see what I'm talking about. I probably should have said favoritism in schedules.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
That’s between the west coast Big Ten schools and the institutions that schedule with them. I’m with you on the ineptitude by the ncaa, but the ncaa has nothing to do with this.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Hopefully we are not losing out on Bond. I would s[…]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]