If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By LUOrange
Kricket wrote: October 19th, 2021, 8:28 pm
BuryYourDuke wrote: October 19th, 2021, 8:01 pm I seriously doubt Temple would have any part of a conference that we were a member of.
The way I see it, most schools wouldn't vote us in because they would have to justify their vote, but the amount of heat they would get by joining a conference we are already in is significantly lower as it wouldn't be a direct vote for us.

That being said, you may be completely right Temple wouldn't even join a conference with us, but I have a little more difficulty believing that. I 100% believe they wouldn't vote us in their conference. My two cents.
I agree with both of you. Temple wouldn't vote for us but wouldn't care if we voted for them. But I have a really hard time believing most of the current AAC schools are completely on board with the 6 new additions, but especially Temple. I think their moving on is a good possibility.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Presidents don't care about athletics so I doubt they care about whatever happens in realignment, It's just as long the schools align with their academic mission..

I'm sure our name was brought up and it was shot down with majority of no's from them. Having a pastor with no academic credentials as a president doesn't help either.

I think with CUSA being on life support that we'll get an invite. They have no other options just like the Big 12 with BYU.
By tyndal23
LUOrange wrote: October 19th, 2021, 9:25 pm
Kricket wrote: October 19th, 2021, 8:28 pm
BuryYourDuke wrote: October 19th, 2021, 8:01 pm I seriously doubt Temple would have any part of a conference that we were a member of.
The way I see it, most schools wouldn't vote us in because they would have to justify their vote, but the amount of heat they would get by joining a conference we are already in is significantly lower as it wouldn't be a direct vote for us.

That being said, you may be completely right Temple wouldn't even join a conference with us, but I have a little more difficulty believing that. I 100% believe they wouldn't vote us in their conference. My two cents.
I agree with both of you. Temple wouldn't vote for us but wouldn't care if we voted for them. But I have a really hard time believing most of the current AAC schools are completely on board with the 6 new additions, but especially Temple. I think their moving on is a good possibility.
I do give some credence to ESPN consultation about tv markets and future tv contract/revision to current tv contract ramifications with AAC leadership. Otherwise, these additions didn’t make great sense. But I have no desire to be an expert on anything G5 related. Hoping we can dodge one more bullet from CUSA and get serious about either buying our way in to Big 12 OR being the next BYU Independent. And if I am throwing other peoples $ around, I would throw some at Big East for remaining sports and if that didn’t work, A10. At least that elevates the other sports a bit and helps brand us for next realignment as far superior to any G5 product left.
Liberty22 liked this
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
It's mind-blowing how quickly these realignment dominos are falling. I knew Texas and Oklahoma would start a chain reaction with their departure to the SEC, but 10 schools after them shifting alignments in just two months? This is going to be a revelatory moment for LU; remember that it was just three years ago or so that C-USA and the Sun Belt turned up their noses at us despite a hefty cash offer. Have things changed sufficiently for them to hold their noses and pick up the phone? Or will the quality of our product on the field be overshadowed by off-the-field considerations? What a wild ride!

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... conference
By tyndal23
rmiller1959 wrote: October 20th, 2021, 12:30 am It's mind-blowing how quickly these realignment dominos are falling. I knew Texas and Oklahoma would start a chain reaction with their departure to the SEC, but 10 schools after them shifting alignments in just two months? This is going to be a revelatory moment for LU; remember that it was just three years ago or so that C-USA and the Sun Belt turned up their noses at us despite a hefty cash offer. Have things changed sufficiently for them to hold their noses and pick up the phone? Or will the quality of our product on the field be overshadowed by off-the-field considerations? What a wild ride!

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... conference
Nothing has happened other than OU TX and some mini drama about PAC 12 maybe doing something. All that happened is Big 12 survived the first salvo, got 40% financially weaker and 4 teams ( 3 of which should have been P5 sooner ) slid in to a league that is the quality old AAC, temporarily. Nothing below that is even a national story except for the 400k combined fans of all of G5 leftovers. ( one of which is me ). No one gives a crap - G5 sucks and no one cares.
By Ill flame
I actually think c-usa has a very good chance of coming back from this better than before like the SBC did. There are reports that sunbelt doesn't want to expand which is a mistake since they will likely never have more leverage than they do now.

If c-usa adds liberty and JMU (let's ignore if we should join) that makes c-usa a much better conference geographically and gives them a new school with bigger upside than any of the schools that left. This could set them up nicely for the next round of realignment.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I believe that many here over-estimate the dislike of LU by other schools. Yes, it does exist. However, if it was as prevalent or severe as discussed, we would not be able to fill our football and some other sports schedules.
I know for a fact that we have spoken to other conferences and know who a couple of them are. I am told that their "resistance" is less than it has been, during the previous administration.
Finally, the best thing for LU is to get Prevo out of here ASAP. I like the fact that the campus seems to be more spiritually focused recently. However, we can find someone with the spiritual emphasis and educational gravitas to move us ahead, much more quickly than HAC boy.
I am confident that I could find one in less than a month. It is unimaginable that these clowns are talking about taking a year + to find a replacement for an alcoholic with moral problems and one with a fake dr's degree. I know that bar is very low. Our goal should be much, much higher than that. I still believe it should take no more than a month. In other words, we are at least a year behind, as of today. smh.
LUOrange, Ill flame, stokesjokes and 2 others liked this
By cruzan_flame13
flameshaw wrote: October 20th, 2021, 11:03 am I believe that many here over-estimate the dislike of LU by other schools. Yes, it does exist. However, if it was as prevalent or severe as discussed, we would not be able to fill our football and some other sports schedules.
I know for a fact that we have spoken to other conferences and know who a couple of them are. I am told that their "resistance" is less than it has been, during the previous administration.
Finally, the best thing for LU is to get Prevo out of here ASAP. I like the fact that the campus seems to be more spiritually focused recently. However, we can find someone with the spiritual emphasis and educational gravitas to move us ahead, much more quickly than HAC boy.
I am confident that I could find one in less than a month. It is unimaginable that these clowns are talking about taking a year + to find a replacement for an alcoholic with moral problems and one with a fake dr's degree. I know that bar is very low. Our goal should be much, much higher than that. I still believe it should take no more than a month. In other words, we are at least a year behind, as of today. smh.
Was the "search" just for a new president or is the school looking for two candidates for position of President and Chancellor?
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
I’m shocked the amount of support some have for us handicapping ourselves as a G5 especially to two conferences who snubbed their noses at us when offering over $20 million to get in. Why should we now accept them in their desperation? We’re in an incredible place being independent especially if we can upgrade to BE/A10. Even if we can’t dominating the ASUN just helps us to always put Olympic sports teams in national tournaments. Until College Football actually expands (it hasn’t yet) there’s no good reason to relegate ourselves to G5 irrelevancy. (Side note: I love G5 irrelevancy over FCS irrelevancy lol)
ATrain liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Do we know that we offered money for entrance or was that just something kicked around as an idea?

I’m split on it. Obviously we’ve done fine as an indy, but I think we could also succeed in a smaller conference at the same level. There’s also perks of conference membership, like bowl access, easier path to playoffs, easier scheduling, etc.

My question is which one offers the quickest path to ascendency? Does winning the CUSA every year give us a quicker chance to leapfrog to a higher level? On the other hand, it would probably put a soft ceiling on our recruiting until we do move up. Same for our strength of schedule.

I do think it would be easier to gauge success if we were conference affiliated. Right now, a successful season is an abstract concept. If we were competing for a conference championship, you win it or you don’t.
By Ill flame
I'm a firm believer that we will be successful no matter what we do. Joining c-usa without Marshall and Southern Miss would almost guarantee us a conference championship in most sports like we currently have in the asun. Among the other reasons that have been discussed it would show that we are willing to play well with others and the world won't burn to the ground if we are in a fbs conference like some people seem to think.

I've been enjoying independence but I'm not sure what the long game is. Do we stay on our current path until we get a call from a P5 that may never come? Do we eventually try Tyndals "P5 equivalent" plan? Does Ian have something else up his sleeve? I used to be AAC or bust but now even the AAC has some big issues which doesn't leave us an obvious option to build towards anymore. I'm just along for the ride and will be happy with wherever this train stops next.
Liberty22, LUOrange liked this
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
I think a CUSA setup with ODU and JMU would be great for LU. Where did thw aac backfill from? Conference USA.
It also helps local news with covering LU. There's more of statewide interest...with odu in the 757 and JMU up 81. Hoops will have an improved schedule.
LU will have less trouble filling up home games with ODU, JMU, and Marshall than they do with Umass, and New Mexico State. LU is not stunting their grown by joining a football conference...I believe they are actually accelerating it. Just my opinion. I know some will strongly disagree. Plus...it wilk be fun for football to compete for a conference championship. That means something. The Coastal/LU games meant something because the winner likely won the Big South. I think it's a great oppertunity.
LUalum12, LUOrange liked this
By cruzan_flame13
Ill flame wrote: October 20th, 2021, 3:31 pm I'm a firm believer that we will be successful no matter what we do. Joining c-usa without Marshall and Southern Miss would almost guarantee us a conference championship in most sports like we currently have in the asun. Among the other reasons that have been discussed it would show that we are willing to play well with others and the world won't burn to the ground if we are in a fbs conference like some people seem to think.

I've been enjoying independence but I'm not sure what the long game is. Do we stay on our current path until we get a call from a P5 that may never come? Do we eventually try Tyndals "P5 equivalent" plan? Does Ian have something else up his sleeve? I used to be AAC or bust but now even the AAC has some big issues which doesn't leave us an obvious option to build towards anymore. I'm just along for the ride and will be happy with wherever this train stops next.
What we should really be thinking about is what will occur after a few seasons if we would've joined the C-USA. At first it may be exciting being in a conference as a full member for the first time in FBS history for the school. That's not going to be all exciting if we continue in the trajectory of growing financially, athletically and even academically when the other schools will not be able to produce in the same way that we can. So I am sure Ian is thinking the same way, but if he goes along with the Mid-Atlantic new CUSA, it's not that much of progress to where we are now.
Liberty22 liked this
By lawrenceq
Registration Days Posts
I used to be all for moving to CUSA but I don't know now. Independent seems like a good deal with a lot of flexibility. I'd definitely like to see the other sports move to a better conference, but I wouldn't be mad if the football team stays independent.
Liberty22 liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: October 20th, 2021, 5:13 pm Going with JMU and ODU will set us back. They might be most over rated schools in the NCAA. They bring nothing to the table as an athletic program.
Va. Tech is the most overrated school in the NCAA, no question about that. 8) 8)
JK37 liked this
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
I rather stay independent. CUSA and Sun Belt are both one bid leagues in basketball and we’ve proven that we can dominate in all the other Olympic sports.

I like the flexibility and owning our own media rights. Last thing I want is Liberty being on Stadium or Flosports consistently.
Kricket, Liberty22 liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote: October 20th, 2021, 7:01 pm I rather stay independent. CUSA and Sun Belt are both one bid leagues in basketball and we’ve proven that we can dominate in all the other Olympic sports.

I like the flexibility and owning our own media rights. Last thing I want is Liberty being on Stadium or Flosports consistently.
This exactly. I don't want to have to struggle to watch games. It's so easy with ESPN+ right now.
By cruzan_flame13
lawrenceq wrote: October 20th, 2021, 5:59 pm I used to be all for moving to CUSA but I don't know now. Independent seems like a good deal with a lot of flexibility. I'd definitely like to see the other sports move to a better conference, but I wouldn't be mad if the football team stays independent.
Not sure why people believe that being in a conference with mediocre to low prestige programs will help us. Folks are not traveling to away games like they use to especially when things are more tight financially speaking. Plus, the attendace at home for most of these schools are not even that great so image when they have to come to the 'Burg. It makes sense logically but it's not realistically in my opinion. I'll even add that the bowl selection is not much improvement with the ones that we are connected to now until 2024-25.
Liberty22 liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
This is super interesting. Marshall might stay C-USA if we're added. It seems we are coming from a position of strength for once.
Conference USA believes it can add James Madison and FBS independent Liberty inside of the next two weeks if details can be worked out, sources tell Dodd. Should C-USA succeed with those additions, it's believed Marshall and Old Dominion would be apt to stay in a nine-team league with C-USA only losing Southern Miss.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... expansion/
LUOrange liked this
By LUOrange
flameshaw wrote: October 20th, 2021, 6:34 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: October 20th, 2021, 5:13 pm Going with JMU and ODU will set us back. They might be most over rated schools in the NCAA. They bring nothing to the table as an athletic program.
Va. Tech is the most overrated school in the NCAA, no question about that. 8) 8)
The Next-to-the-Beach Chickens. Study
JK37 liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
I trust Ian to do the right thing. I know most would prefer an A10 invite, but who knows if that will ever be an option.

I've stated I prefer Indy for football over any G5, but the reality is, I'm an ignorant fan. Ian knows a trillion times more than me. I'll let him do his thing and enjoy reading the rumors.
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]