If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 4:19 pm There’s no way the Big XII can offer as much money as the
Big Ten for Nebraska. Mizzou makes bank in the SEC.

This is about money, not relevance.
Nebraska already was making overtures to return last season. They also want to be relevant and win. Two things not happening anytime soon in the B1G
Mizzou might be content to be irrelevant and cash checks.
And BYU would jump at the chance
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 5:17 pm BYU is too far west, to be in any conference on east coast or the southeast part of America. BYU should be PAC 12
But the PAC XII will never invite them. So their next logical fit in the domino tumbling game is the Big XII
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
BYU is a national brand and has Mormon fans across the nation. Like us, they are not limited by region to attract students. With Texas & OU departing, BYU will likely be the first call for the Big XII. even before Houston, Memphis, Cincy or UCF.

Nebraska is a bad fit for the B1G and all parties agree. But the economics make a return to the Big XII unlikely. Here's a hot take ... Huskers to the Pac-12. It is not crazy as you think. Otherwise they can continue to grumble with the Rust Belt boys.

As for Kansas, I am not sure the B1G is ready to take on the Jayhawks football albatross. The hoops is obviously elite. But nothing else in Lawrence is is even as good as mediocre. Once again, the Pac-12 is not crazy talk in concert with Nebraska.

Missouri is only going to consider one conference ... the B1G. They have no interest in going back to a depleted Big XII. I actually think a move to join nearly rivals Illinois and Iowa makes a ton of sense in Columbia. Not 100% sure the B1G values Mizzou enough to make the offer. But it would be a good fit. Mizzou has always been more of a natural fit for B1G than SEC.

And word on the street is that the Aggie shave no support in blocking the Horns. In fact, the league commish has negotiated with Austin & Norman for over six months behind A&M's back. Poooooor Aggies.
By tyndal23
Purple Haize wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 5:16 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 4:19 pm There’s no way the Big XII can offer as much money as the
Big Ten for Nebraska. Mizzou makes bank in the SEC.

This is about money, not relevance.
Nebraska already was making overtures to return last season. They also want to be relevant and win. Two things not happening anytime soon in the B1G
Mizzou might be content to be irrelevant and cash checks.
And BYU would jump at the chance
I really think there is some slight merit for LU BYU jointly reaching out to TCU,Baylor ( first ) and offering some up front cash to assist Big 12 with any efforts to expand and retain current members who want to stay. Utilize Nebraska as the key cog to keep as many schools as possible ( if they want to ). We wouldn’t get “invited” otherwise unless we were part of a creative solution that included cash. Ian has the contacts. If Kansas leaves ( hope they do ) that is a loss of the 3 biggest liberal schools - the rest ideologically wouldn’t be a roadblock to LU and BYU. If there are 6 current P5 schools and strong enough additions from AAC etc, this conference still right in the mix for playoff berth(s). Might be smart to take it to 16 teams from east and west AAC and MWC. PAC 12 sounded great last go around, but the $ hasn’t bore fruit and I am not so sure it is automatic for OSU,Tech,Baylor,TCU to automatically be invited or jump at the invitation. Long shot, but worth a few exploratory phone calls.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Re: Nebraska
Neither side has been happy with that. They lost their academic status the year after they joined B1G. And football lost its recruiting pipeline To Texas. In the five years before the move, they signed 36 kids from TX. In the years since, only 13. Replaced with the Great Lakes region, it can’t compete with its new B1G rivals there. And within a five-hour radius of their campus is not very fertile recruiting ground. The money would be different, but a move back to Big 12 country is not a definite No.

I really think the B1G would trade Nebraska for Missouri right now. And I think Mizzou would consider it.

ACC doesn’t want WVU. And neither does B1G. This could get ugly for Mountaineers.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 6:52 pm
ACC doesn’t want WVU. And neither does B1G. This could get ugly for Mountaineers.
I sure hope so. Maybe they can go back to the SoCon where they belong.
By tyndal23
Very quickly we are going to find out if Independence is still right for LU. It could very well be there are at least 2 more Ex P5 teams joining Independence ( not by choice ) which is great for LU OR a condensed non con schedule among all Conferences with even more limited scheduling options for LU.
Kricket liked this
By cruzan_flame13
Looks like TCU, Baylor and TTU are reaching out to the PAC12. This is getting very inyeresting. As for LU, independent night be the right decision right now as we wait in the trenches. Do I think the PAC consider those schools? Maybe. How about WVU, KSU, Kansas and ISU? Independent perhaps?
By tyndal23
cruzan_flame13 wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 8:26 pm Looks like TCU, Baylor and TTU are reaching out to the PAC12. This is getting very inyeresting. As for LU, independent night be the right decision right now as we wait in the trenches. Do I think the PAC consider those schools? Maybe. How about WVU, KSU, Kansas and ISU? Independent perhaps?
Yes, will be interesting to see if PAC 12 Presidents vote on TCU, Baylor,Tech. They like the Central Time
Zone those games bring but also have been making little $ on PAC 12 network to date but was geared to make a lot more as time progresses - so do they want to share the pie without TX being part of the mix? I know the Commish is open but then again it comes down to Presidents. The fear of not going to 16 teams may drive them to gobble them up even if it doesn’t make great financial sense. Those 3 schools were getting a free ride on TX coat tails last time they were in talks. Will see how it shakes out.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 6:52 pm Re: Nebraska
Neither side has been happy with that. They lost their academic status the year after they joined B1G. And football lost its recruiting pipeline To Texas. In the five years before the move, they signed 36 kids from TX. In the years since, only 13. Replaced with the Great Lakes region, it can’t compete with its new B1G rivals there. And within a five-hour radius of their campus is not very fertile recruiting ground. The money would be different, but a move back to Big 12 country is not a definite No.

I really think the B1G would trade Nebraska for Missouri right now. And I think Mizzou would consider it.

I mean academically I get it. But from an athletic standpoint and footprint standpoint and every other standpoint WVU to the B1G is a perfect match. It’s a fit but not a great one for the ACC BUT the VT and PITT rivalries would be huge TV draws.
But as things are shaking out now I don’t know where WVU ends up
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 5:41 pm Here's a hot take ... Huskers to the Pac-12. It is not crazy as you think. Otherwise they can continue to grumble with the Rust Belt boys.
It is crazy, but who knows what’ll happen. There is NO good reason for them to go there. They will have similar problems with the west coast schools.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
@Purple Haize I know it makes the most sense athletically and geographically. I keep dreaming of Huggs making rounds in the B1G. But then there’s that pesky Academic criteria so near and dear to B1G presidents.

Half the ACC would block WVU.

There’s a reason WVU ended up a red headed step-child in the Big XII years ago.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: July 24th, 2021, 6:58 am The reason most people hate WVU is the behavior of their drunk fans.
Can’t take the heat stay out of the kitchen

Of course if you ask those LU fans who went to Morgantown for that match up you’ll hear them say nothing but kind words about the fans. I was at the KState game last year, even had to sit in the KState section :shock: , and too a parent and fan they were complimentary of the crowd and how well they were treated. Even though they lost!
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: July 24th, 2021, 7:52 am
ballcoach15 wrote: July 24th, 2021, 6:58 am The reason most people hate WVU is the behavior of their drunk fans.

Of course if you ask those LU fans who went to Morgantown for that match up you’ll hear them say nothing but kind words about the fans. I was at the KState game last year, even had to sit in the KState section :shock: , and too a parent and fan they were complimentary of the crowd and how well they were treated. Even though they lost!
Seems to me that if they're burning couches, the heat's in the living room.
LUOrange liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote: July 24th, 2021, 8:23 am
Purple Haize wrote: July 24th, 2021, 7:52 am

Seems to me that if they're burning couches, the heat's in the living room.
Nope. You never burn the good furniture. You burn the couch on the porch. Then you rotate the LR couch out to the porch and rent a new one for the LR.
Kricket, flamehunter liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Realignment bringing some of our old school FlameFans posters out of the shadows. Welcome back, TallyW!

And for the record, the Barstool dude could be right but he has a reputation as a troll.
TallyW liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
If Ohio State joined the SEC, I think Ballcoach would have a seizure or a stroke. :frustrated :oldhag :banghead

Agreed Cruzan. Memphis just got $5 million a […]

New Mexico State

Crazy game, should have won it about an hour and a[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

We went from everyone on the team being 6’7&[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]