If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By LUGrad2000
Registration Days Posts
Well, that is the most depressing post that Sly has ever posted. Reality sucks. Last night I was talking to some friends of Sun Belt schools discussing their new schools and I was thinking that we could make a positive out of this and schedule more P5 games. After HF leaves, we will fade into oblivion.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
After all that we are in the same spot. If we approach it right, it's for the better long term. Some of you have such a small vision and little faith.

Indy outsider should be our brand. We can't claim to be different while conforming to the world. I think we should be marketing how much we differ from other universities rather than trying to figure out how we can fit in. It's what got us this far, don't stop now.

Are we for everyone? No. Does everyone like us? No. You don't have to come here and you don't have to root for us if you don't like it. Don't vote us in to your crummy conference if you don't like how we do things. It's not going to change our mission.

John 15:18 -“If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first"

We're different. We're indy. Embrace it!
ALAFlamesFan, LU 57, Liberty22 and 2 others liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
LUGrad2000 wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 12:14 pm Well, that is the most depressing post that Sly has ever posted. Reality sucks. Last night I was talking to some friends of Sun Belt schools discussing their new schools and I was thinking that we could make a positive out of this and schedule more P5 games. After HF leaves, we will fade into oblivion.
If Hugh Freeze leaves, we will hire a great replacement. We have the AD and resources to get who we want. The sky isn't falling.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
LUGrad2000 wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 12:14 pm Well, that is the most depressing post that Sly has ever posted. Reality sucks. Last night I was talking to some friends of Sun Belt schools discussing their new schools and I was thinking that we could make a positive out of this and schedule more P5 games. After HF leaves, we will fade into oblivion.
I couldn't disagree more with that last sentence. We will continue to rise like we have for 50 years. We have too much momentum across the entire athletic department and too many resources. Everyone get a little grip. If we can continue to schedule multiple P5 teams per year we will be fine.
LU 57, Liberty22, Kricket and 2 others liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
What we learned:

Disney has no incentive or desire to help Liberty.
Liberty isn’t perceived as highly as its most optimistic fanatics thought it was.
Piles of cash are not unending.
Sly Fox, flamehunter liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Forgive me having a moment of gravity today. Being in Monroe last Saturday will do that for you even before the events of the past few days occurred. I am good with our lot right now as an independent. It is what it is and we can own it.
ALAFlamesFan wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 12:23 pmIf we can continue to schedule multiple P5 teams per year we will be fine.
That last sentence combined to the new landscape around us is what is concerning me. The Alliance is essentially shutting us out of ACC/B1G/Pac 12 games moving forward outside of what we already have contracted. SEC schools consider us a bit of a dangeous proposition limiting our opportunities there. That leaves the Big XII as our primary scheduling opportunity in the P5 ranks. We have the flexibility to work in 2-for-1s but home-and-homes are not likely. I suspect we will score guarantee games from time to time moving forward as we are likely to play cheaper than other FBS options. Now if strength of schedule proves to be important for Big XII schools with the new playoff system that could be encouraging to our chances.

See I can be optimistic. But being realistic based on breaking developments is also valuable.

As for comparisons to Tarleston, Sam & McNeese, they will likely be filling up our schedules for the remainder of the decade. They haven't been scheduling FBS out of conference and will need to do so. With the large leagues most P5s and G5s now inhabit, they will only have 3 or 4 slots a year to fill. And most of those are already filled up to the end of the decade. The bad news for this Houstonian is that none of these local tams for me are going to be hosting Liberty. They now become fodder for filling up Williams Stadium slots. That is the correlation. I am hoping we get some of these CUSA leftovers to consider an Indy/ASUN alignment like us. That is a our best hope in the interim. And hope and pray we don't have the ACC schools buy us out as part of their alliance agreement.

As for Disney, I am wondering if our extension with ESPN wound up working against us. Since we were already int he Mouse's fold, they had no incentive to push for our inclusion in the AAC or Belt for that matter. Had we been a free agent then we would have been more valuable in their eyes. Things that make you go hmmmmm.
Purple Haize liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Anyone ever think that everything happens for a reason?

Every one of us would have loved a C-USA invite just a few years ago to the point of paying 20 plus million for the invite. We would have ended up here (or worse) anyway and it would have costed us way more.

It's almost like God has a plan for us.
Liberty22, Sly Fox, TH Spangler and 5 others liked this
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
I know we lost to ULM last week and that sucked! But I am watching the supposed #3 team in the country struggle against one of the worst teams in FBS. I also remember Saban's first year at Bama when they lost to ULM 17-14. As much as last weekends loss was atrocious, it is just one game and crazy things happen in college football even to the blue bloods of the sport. A 10 win season is still very much available to us and look we still have the Ole Miss game ahead of us where anything is possible.
LUOrange liked this
By Racenut
Registration Days Posts
I'm breathing a big sigh of relief today! We have not been harmed in the least by all these moves. I believe that all these objections from the secular realm are really affirmation of the cultural differences between the secular world and a Biblically based University. None of these other conferences or schools for that matter would want to be hammered for allowing our "radical" set of values into their community, even if they share some of those beliefs. Not to say that every student, athlete, administrator or fan measures up to the standard at all times, but there is a respect for and expectation of striving to adhere to Biblical teachings and principles here that is unique. Liberty has become the beacon of light in that aspect and despite the failings of individuals, I believe the mission remains true. I embrace that difference and pray that the fans, players, adminstration and coaches have the opportunity to give an account for the hope that is in us, in whatever arena God puts us into. It is perhaps fitting that we go at this alone, depending on only Him.
LUOrange liked this
By tyndal23
Racenut wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 2:46 pm I'm breathing a big sigh of relief today! We have not been harmed in the least by all these moves. I believe that all these objections from the secular realm are really affirmation of the cultural differences between the secular world and a Biblically based University. None of these other conferences or schools for that matter would want to be hammered for allowing our "radical" set of values into their community, even if they share some of those beliefs. Not to say that every student, athlete, administrator or fan measures up to the standard at all times, but there is a respect for and expectation of striving to adhere to Biblical teachings and principles here that is unique. Liberty has become the beacon of light in that aspect and despite the failings of individuals, I believe the mission remains true. I embrace that difference and pray that the fans, players, adminstration and coaches have the opportunity to give an account for the hope that is in us, in whatever arena God puts us into. It is perhaps fitting that we go at this alone, depending on only Him.
AAC - they went big tv markets.
Sunbelt - our $ is a threat, I doubt the rest of it really even came up.
CUSA - we turned down and rightfully so.
I think we may be making a martyr of ourselves all over Twitter and isn’t a good look.
TallyW, ATrain, Liberty22 and 1 others liked this
By LUDad
How many 5* players are rejected by P5 power football power schools because of grades. Sure it happens with Duke, Stanford, Academies, etc. but not often with the FB powers. It all comes down to politics and distain for "overly" religious schools. Unless LU goes mainline, I don't see any changes coming unless LU backs up a brinks truck to the conference doors or becomes a ND (or even a BYU) that places a ton of eye balls in front of tv sets.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 3:03 pm
Racenut wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 2:46 pm I'm breathing a big sigh of relief today! We have not been harmed in the least by all these moves. I believe that all these objections from the secular realm are really affirmation of the cultural differences between the secular world and a Biblically based University. None of these other conferences or schools for that matter would want to be hammered for allowing our "radical" set of values into their community, even if they share some of those beliefs. Not to say that every student, athlete, administrator or fan measures up to the standard at all times, but there is a respect for and expectation of striving to adhere to Biblical teachings and principles here that is unique. Liberty has become the beacon of light in that aspect and despite the failings of individuals, I believe the mission remains true. I embrace that difference and pray that the fans, players, adminstration and coaches have the opportunity to give an account for the hope that is in us, in whatever arena God puts us into. It is perhaps fitting that we go at this alone, depending on only Him.
I think we may be making a martyr of ourselves all over Twitter and isn’t a good look.
Agree 100%. This woe is me crap is driving me crazy. It is not nearly as bad as people are making it.
Liberty22, LUOrange liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Racenut wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 2:46 pm I'm breathing a big sigh of relief today! We have not been harmed in the least by all these moves. I believe that all these objections from the secular realm are really affirmation of the cultural differences between the secular world and a Biblically based University. None of these other conferences or schools for that matter would want to be hammered for allowing our "radical" set of values into their community, even if they share some of those beliefs. Not to say that every student, athlete, administrator or fan measures up to the standard at all times, but there is a respect for and expectation of striving to adhere to Biblical teachings and principles here that is unique. Liberty has become the beacon of light in that aspect and despite the failings of individuals,[media] I believe the mission remains true.[/media] I embrace that difference and pray that the fans, players, adminstration and coaches have the opportunity to give an account for the hope that is in us, in whatever arena God puts us into. It is perhaps fitting that we go at this alone, depending on only Him.
I wish I could share your enthusiasm regarding the mission. From where I sit, it is waning quickly. Hopefully we can get some new/strong leadership SOON.
ATrain liked this
By Ill flame
The alliance between acc, big 10 and pac 12 won't hurt us in the slightest. The big 10 and pac 12 are talking about dropping down to 8 conference games which will open up 26 more opportunities every year for us to get a P5 game on the schedule. I also assume the big 12 will do the same which opens up 12 more games (14 if you factor in Texas and OU moving to a conference with less conference games).

Some of these games will go to FCS, others will go to playing other P5s but they will mostly go towards playing G5 schools because it's becoming obvious from looking at the SEC that nonconference SOS is meaningless and the other P5s are waking up to that. I think independence will actually be easier for us moving forward.
tyndal23 liked this
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 5:17 pm
tyndal23 wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 3:03 pm
Agree 100%. This woe is me crap is driving me crazy. It is not nearly as bad as people are making it.
Guys are saying we’ve been passed up by JMU etc because we didn’t get an invite. Really 😂.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Sounds like we passed on at least two of these options. We'll have to wait and see what Ian says. All in all, it really didn't seem like he was able to find what he was looking for.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 1:29 pmAs for Disney, I am wondering if our extension with ESPN wound up working against us. Since we were already int he Mouse's fold, they had no incentive to push for our inclusion in the AAC or Belt for that matter. Had we been a free agent then we would have been more valuable in their eyes. Things that make you go hmmmmm.
Good observation like always Sly.

Based on what I'm reading Disney is preparing ESPN to be sold off. Appears their first goal is to bring every G5 program into one ESPN stand alone subscription package. Basically ESPN+. Then let it go to the highest bidder who is probably on the sideline now, watching to see if ESPN can do it. Just a guess.

https://www.technologyforyou.org/disney ... -the-past/
Last edited by TH Spangler on October 24th, 2021, 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Being left out of the latest Conference reshuffle certainly didn’t do LU any favors. If the CUSA option with ODU Marshall and JMU or the AAC options were on the table and LU passed thats certainly a head scratcher. But LU is definitely on an island right now and the job of football coach just got a whole lot tougher.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
A true Mid-Atlantic option never actually materialized...seems like JMU was just one of a number of FCS MA-region schools looking to move up...some people say there remains an open door or two...even now. IMO, the advantages of remaining Indy outweigh any of the options that are under consideration at the present moment.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: October 24th, 2021, 9:34 am A true Mid-Atlantic option never actually materialized...seems like JMU was just one of a number of FCS MA-region schools looking to move up...some people say there remains an open door or two...even now. IMO, the advantages of remaining Indy outweigh any of the options that are under consideration at the present moment.
I dunno. The Sun Sun Belt would be a great option at this point but they do not appear remotely interested. Which is not a good PR look for LU. CUSA doesn’t look like a viable conference at the moment and they don’t appear interested in LU either. Which is also a bad look for LU. The AAC seems like the only conference that fits LU and seemed remotely interested. But even they said no. Which isn’t a goood look for LU
At this moment being Indy is maybe slightly better than being in CUSA but that’s the only positive
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Some people say that Sun Belt has an offer on the table...even as we speak. It sounds like we had more than one option this time. Who knows? Honestly though, the risk/reward balance doesn't seem to be in our favor. We'll see if Ian even speaks to any of this after all the smoke clears. Can't really expect him to fully comprehend all the anxieties of the fanbase.

I'm reminded of a piece that the old Op-Ed guy for the Advance, Darrell Larrent, once wrote regarding a common mentality shared by some LU grads. In nutshell...the perceptions others have about LU aren't as we imagine. A great deal of energy is often wasted in pointless rumination and unfounded insecurities.
flameshaw, LUOrange liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: October 24th, 2021, 9:45 am
paradox wrote: October 24th, 2021, 9:34 am A true Mid-Atlantic option never actually materialized...seems like JMU was just one of a number of FCS MA-region schools looking to move up...some people say there remains an open door or two...even now. IMO, the advantages of remaining Indy outweigh any of the options that are under consideration at the present moment.
I dunno. The Sun Sun Belt would be a great option at this point but they do not appear remotely interested. Which is not a good PR look for LU. CUSA doesn’t look like a viable conference at the moment and they don’t appear interested in LU either. Which is also a bad look for LU. The AAC seems like the only conference that fits LU and seemed remotely interested. But even they said no. Which isn’t a goood look for LU
At this moment being Indy is maybe slightly better than being in CUSA but that’s the only positive
I am not saying this is a sure thing by any stretch, but I would not be surprised if the Sun Belt passes the AAC in quality in the next few years. They have far more schools on an upward trajectory than the new AAC does. Of course, the AAC does have more TV money so in return the new schools will get their share of that so it may be stretch on my part.

There is just no way that anything that has happened in the past week a good thing, at least in the short term, for LU. Maybe in the long term we all look back at this and will be grateful for being left out. That is a big maybe at this point but of course anything is possible.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
If the Sun Belt said “no” to LU because LU’s athletic budget dwarfs that of SBC member schools, that’s not a bad look for LU.

Several years ago when LU petitioned the SBC for membership, there were three specific presidents that vetoed because of LU’s conservative ideals in general and it’s position on homosexuality specifically. (Two of those three presidents are no longer in their positions.) If THAT remains a factor, it’s only a bad look for LU in the eyes of those about whose perceptions of LU we should care very little.
Last edited by JK37 on October 24th, 2021, 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kricket, LUOrange liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Reading other forums I'd say 75% of fans, coaches and AD's know Liberty has P5 potential and are in favor of us joining any G5 conf. It's a handful of academic elites afraid to break ranks. :lol:
LU 57, LUOrange liked this
North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

This was already proposed to the powers that be be[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]

Oh, the Great Unwashed ... alumni of the Universit[…]