If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By cruzan_flame13
LUOrange wrote: May 6th, 2021, 11:30 am So what are your theories on why McKay has had success scheduling SEC schools but not ACC schools?
It is strange that they're fine playing us in other sports but not basketball. I guess they saw what happened when we played Wake Forest awhile back :lol:
LUOrange liked this
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
A Sea of Red wrote: May 6th, 2021, 9:23 am
olldflame wrote: May 6th, 2021, 9:05 am
A Sea of Red wrote: May 6th, 2021, 8:23 am McKay told me a year or two ago that he called to try and schedule (nearly) every ACC school and they all turned him down.
And to elaborate, I don't believe he was even asking for home and home, 2 for 1, or a big guarantee; just play us at your place .
That's correct.
Which is exactly why I believe Tyndals concept of scheduling as a P5 equivalent will NOT happen

There’s no point to validating little old LU for these schools. People in the liberty bubble don’t get it.
Purple Haize, Ill flame liked this
By tyndal23
PAmedic wrote: May 6th, 2021, 12:40 pm
A Sea of Red wrote: May 6th, 2021, 9:23 am
olldflame wrote: May 6th, 2021, 9:05 am

And to elaborate, I don't believe he was even asking for home and home, 2 for 1, or a big guarantee; just play us at your place .
That's correct.
Which is exactly why I believe Tyndals concept of scheduling as a P5 equivalent will NOT happen

There’s no point to validating little old LU for these schools. People in the liberty bubble don’t get it.
They won’t validate us with no reason. It has to be geographically and financially a win for them. Adding us to their conference validates us, ( won’t happen ). Allowing their lower tier teams schedule us and count us as a P5 ( provided we have spent 5 years or so playing mote P5 schools than G5 ) is a win for everyone.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: May 7th, 2021, 10:14 am It’s not a win if they lose! :lol:

I wanna get on board but you’re void of coherent rationale.
Just now figuring that out huh?
By tyndal23
JK37 wrote: May 7th, 2021, 10:14 am It’s not a win if they lose! :lol:

I wanna get on board but you’re void of coherent rationale.
It is a win if their local fan base can drive to see them lose vs playing another P5 team far away that their fans won't go see lose and much easier travel mileage for their teams vs flying far away. They are required to schedule 1 P5 non conference. Better chance of beating us than an SEC team ( only other P5 conference in the region )
By LUOrange
I like the P5 equivalency idea in theory, I just don't think it's probable. I just don't see the ACC or any other Conference playing along. Although, I do want us to schedule at least 4 P5's a season. But 2025 is the earliest we could begin implementing your plan. By then, if we still have Freeze here (I believe we will), we will have had 6 years of sustained success (which is very likely when you look at our schedules with current trajectories). So by then, we should be considered at least almost as good by reputation as BYU, Boise St., UCF, Cincy, Memphis, etc. However, we're still the Independent private Christian conservative school. So the million dollar questions are, how many P5's will want to play us and how many will come to Lynchburg? Would the ACC play along then? I don't know those answers. I suspect not much will have changed in that some will play us and some won't, and the ACC won't recognize us as a P5 equivalent.
Last edited by LUOrange on May 8th, 2021, 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By tyndal23
I don’t think 4 a year does it. ( I don’t care at all about being compared to any G5 - the goal is to just get 1 conference to count us like BYU as a P5 equvalent ) Need to get the media and coaches saying we are more of a P5. Hence 5 year plan of one off P5 road games, 5 home games max and laying out big cash for Kansas,Vandy etc P5 teams to come to LU, most will have to be 1 off road games. 6 plus BYU and Army gets us there. As for ACC - strictly up to Commish to designate us a P5 for their purposes and it IS a major benefit for the Duke,Wake,NC ST,UVA,BC and even VT to some extent the years they don’t play ND.
TH Spangler liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: May 7th, 2021, 2:32 pm
It is a win if their local fan base can drive to see them lose...
A. By definition, that’s a logical fallacy.

B. You’re wrong.

C. You’ve never coached or scheduled if you think this. Ain’t no coach who will be okay with this. Or AD. Or President. Let alone fans.

Do you really think VT would’ve said their loss to us was better if it was at Williams Stadium? You think NC State wants anything to do with LU at Williams after edging out a squeaker last year? And on too of that, you think just arbitrarily naming LU a P5 equivalent will make them all feel BETTER about losing?

D. What are you smoking?

E. Are you sharing?

The P5’s was come thisclose on two separate occasions (that we know of) to breaking away and forming their own organization. Announcing a new P5 equivalent legitimizes that school. Of the 60 P5’s, I honestly think there is only one who would t mind legitimizing LU in such a way.

59-1. That’s your climb. Good luck!

The reason conferences require their members to schedule at least one OOC P5 is SOS. The flaw in your path is that in order for LU to gain the legitimacy necessary for a conference to allow its membership to consider LU to count as a P5 equivalent, LU would have to convince enough of them to schedule them, and the. Go win a bunch of them. This would be needed BEFORE LU is deemed P5 equivalent. BEFORE it it’s worth taking the risk. You think scheduling was hard before...
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
P5s will play us if they can make money and get attention for playing us. That's why BYU is attractive for them. It's not because BYU has better players. It's because of the money and attention playing BYU brings.

We don't get there by playing P5s or playing G5s specifically, although there obviously is strategy involved in the schedule. It's about growing the brand to a point where the money and attention is there. I think either path can get us there but we will need a splashy win or two every year and maybe a high draft pick occasionally to keep us relevant and growing the fan base.

We did that last year with the VT and Coastal win. I could walk around with an LU hat in Wisconsin and people started to notice for the first time. Malik could help us with a bump if he's a top 15 pick. The brand awareness increase was palpable. We accomplished the objective without a P5 schedule. That's not to say we couldn't have accomplished with a P5 schedule, but perhaps it would have been more unlikely at this stage of the FBS transition.

I guess my point is that growing the fan base is more important than anything else. It makes us more attractive in scheduling, conference realignment, as well as helping us fulfill our #1 calling in being a witness to nonbelievers . More people in the stadium and more people watching the games is the number one thing that matters. Winning, scheduling, etc are vehicles to doing that, but I don't think there is one specifically right answer.

I mean, before the year, who would have thought we'd get more attention from beating Coastal than from beating Syracuse or maybe even VT? I'm using that as a point that there is more than one route to accomplishing our mission.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
So you’re saying it’s best to have a good foundation to build upon.....hmmm. Seems logical
LUOrange liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Well, right. We don't get the attention we did with an all G5 schedule. We also don't get it with an all P5 schedule. This chess not checkers and the answer is more nuanced. There's no simple equation to building a fan base and brand awareness.

My opinion is we try to schedule schools with the largest discrepancy in perception/brand vs actual talent level. More publicity for a win, yet a win is more achievable. VT and Coastal were perfect for that. Both gave us a lot of attention for winnable games. I think it's safe to say we all know Coastal wasn't a top 15 team and VT has the prestige from previous years that was better than their actual play. Coastal was lucky on our end, as they somehow went undefeated, played BYU because we couldn't play CCU, and magically played us in the Cure Bowl, but it all worked out.

Scheduling Alabama or Clemson gives us brand but a definite pounding on the field which does us no good. Beating a cupcake is probably better because it gives us a shot at a bowl win at least. Teams like Louisiana are bad to have on the schedule in my opinion. They're games we can lose but get no credit for winning unless they go undefeated in all other games.

Just like Louisiana, teams are worried we're better than the perception of us, so they have little incentive to play us. That can change with consistency and a bigger fan base, but it will take time.

It's almost impossible for us to say what's right without knowing the difficulty of scheduling that Ian is having. Somehow winning a ton regardless of schedule is usually a cure, but right now I'd say 3-4 chances at a splashy win and the rest winnable games is probably a good balance. It gives us the best chance for bowls and media attention without taking big steps back and missing bowls. It gives us a chance to have our cake and eat it too.
By tyndal23
JK37 wrote: May 9th, 2021, 12:49 am
Hence the humor. If you are DUke,WF,NC State - what P5 teams are you scheduling for the 1 non con and why? Is it geography and winnable ? List the teams and then tell me again why LU wouldn’t be attractive as a P5 equivalent.

B. You’re wrong. On which point?

C. You’ve never coached or scheduled if you think this. Ain’t no coach who will be okay with this. Or AD. Or President. Let alone fans. You got me I have never been and AD or President. I can however tell you 3 P5 times that are more beatable than UAB,Louisiana, and Army just from this coming season. And i can also tell you a lot more eyeballs on an away P5 game than on a home Thanksgiving week game with no fans / students in attendance. What do we get from having a home game that week ?

Do you really think VT would’ve said their loss to us was better if it was at Williams Stadium? You think NC State wants anything to do with LU at Williams after edging out a squeaker last year? And on too of that, you think just arbitrarily naming LU a P5 equivalent will make them all feel BETTER about losing? Of course they don’t if we are a G5 just like they really don’t want to go back to ODU or play JMU again. YES they will feel better if their conference commissioner arbitrarily allow’s LU to count as a P5 game and we have P5 athletes and P5 schedule - they feel much better than losing to East Carolina or App St or Charlotte G5 level teams....

D. What are you smoking?

E. Are you sharing?

The P5’s was come thisclose on two separate occasions (that we know of) to breaking away and forming their own organization. Announcing a new P5 equivalent legitimizes that school. Of the 60 P5’s, I honestly think there is only one who would t mind legitimizing LU in such a way.
Allowing LU in a conference legitimizes us, those of you that keep saying just win and someday a P5 Conference will let us in are the one’s smoking something. Getting ACC to count us as a G5 equivalent is 100 times simpler, commish decision, no $ away from ACC, easy travel.

The reason conferences require their members to schedule at least one OOC P5 is SOS. The flaw in your path is that in order for LU to gain the legitimacy necessary for a conference to allow its membership to consider LU to count as a P5 equivalent, LU would have to convince enough of them to schedule them, and the. Go win a bunch of them. This would be needed BEFORE LU is deemed P5 equivalent. BEFORE it it’s worth taking the risk. You think scheduling was hard before...
Nonsense. I already laid out in depth and listed the scheduling philosophies and teams we can get for one off away games and a few one for one in prior posts ( with the financial incentives )

Try harder...your getting like Purple.
By tyndal23
tyndal23 wrote: May 9th, 2021, 2:02 pm
JK37 wrote: May 9th, 2021, 12:49 am
Hence the humor. If you are DUke,WF,NC State - what P5 teams are you scheduling for the 1 non con and why? Is it geography and winnable ? List the teams and then tell me again why LU wouldn’t be attractive as a P5 equivalent.

B. You’re wrong. On which point?

C. You’ve never coached or scheduled if you think this. Ain’t no coach who will be okay with this. Or AD. Or President. Let alone fans. You got me I have never been and AD or President. I can however tell you 3 P5 times that are more beatable than UAB,Louisiana, and Army just from this coming season. And i can also tell you a lot more eyeballs on an away P5 game than on a home Thanksgiving week game with no fans / students in attendance. What do we get from having a home game that week ?

Do you really think VT would’ve said their loss to us was better if it was at Williams Stadium? You think NC State wants anything to do with LU at Williams after edging out a squeaker last year? And on too of that, you think just arbitrarily naming LU a P5 equivalent will make them all feel BETTER about losing? Of course they don’t if we are a G5 just like they really don’t want to go back to ODU or play JMU again. YES they will feel better if their conference commissioner arbitrarily allow’s LU to count as a P5 game and we have P5 athletes and P5 schedule - they feel much better than losing to East Carolina or App St or Charlotte G5 level teams....

D. What are you smoking?

E. Are you sharing?

Allowing LU in a conference legitimizes us, those of you that keep saying just win and someday a P5 Conference will let us in are the one’s smoking something. Getting ACC to count us as a G5 equivalent is 100 times simpler, commish decision, no $ away from ACC, easy travel.

Nonsense. I already laid out in depth and listed the scheduling philosophies and teams we can get for one off away games and a few one for one in prior posts ( with the financial incentives )

Try harder...your getting like Purple.
Responses are in body of message for each line item.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Interestingly enough probably the only 2 people on the message board with legit real world game scheduling experience are the ones being dismissed.
I’m just letting the little fella dream his dream and chase his butterflies.
By Ill flame
Kricket wrote: May 9th, 2021, 9:08 am P5s will play us if they can make money and get attention for playing us. That's why BYU is attractive for them. It's not because BYU has better players. It's because of the money and attention playing BYU brings.
To support this, BYU has a large national fanbase that regularly has games with more than a million viewers. Even the games against small G5 teams get over 500k viewers. Not to mention their average attendance is over 50,000 and they travel well. Liberty is nowhere near this level yet.
[https://espn960sports.com/news/comparin ... 9-to-2020/]
Kricket, LUOrange liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: May 9th, 2021, 9:07 pm
Kricket wrote: May 9th, 2021, 9:08 am P5s will play us if they can make money and get attention for playing us. That's why BYU is attractive for them. It's not because BYU has better players. It's because of the money and attention playing BYU brings.
To support this, BYU has a large national fanbase that regularly has games with more than a million viewers. Even the games against small G5 teams get over 500k viewers. Not to mention their average attendance is over 50,000 and they travel well. Liberty is nowhere near this level yet.
I’ve been beating that drum forever. LU needs to put facts on the ground. Which in this case is eyeballs on the team. A fan base. Which currently LU really does not have. Not to say they aren’t working on it.
Kricket, LUOrange liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The amount of online speculation about three teams out west joining the AAC has been significant. It looks like the AAC is using Dodds to dampen enthusiasm from Boisee San Diego and likely Colorado Springs.

The Mormons have ZERO interest in the AAC. I suspect the AAC's top candidate is on our schedule this fall playing in a brand new crib. But that assumes the AAC is actively looking to expand.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: June 8th, 2021, 9:41 am The amount of online speculation about three teams out west joining the AAC has been significant. It looks like the AAC is using Dodds to dampen enthusiasm from Boisee San Diego and likely Colorado Springs.

The Mormons have ZERO interest in the AAC. I suspect the AAC's top candidate is on our schedule this fall playing in a brand new crib. But that assumes the AAC is actively looking to expand.
They seat 47k.
By tyndal23
Purple Haize wrote: May 9th, 2021, 9:22 pm
Ill flame wrote: May 9th, 2021, 9:07 pm
I’ve been beating that drum forever. LU needs to put facts on the ground. Which in this case is eyeballs on the team. A fan base. Which currently LU really does not have. Not to say they aren’t working on it.
You know my version of how to do that = P5 Indie scheduling/budget philosophy and avoid G5 conference path at all costs. P5 road games nationally ( 1 Pac 12 annually, 1 Big 12 annually. Focus on Future TV $ first and Lynchburg fan base and stadium expansion last - what is your ( or anyone) alternate recommendation and reasons why. ( other than just win and go to cure bowl forever and someday we will x.....Tell me where the loyal local fan base is coming from if Lynchburg residents despise LU and our alumni are scattered nationally. Doesn’t have to be Purple, but someone lay out the plan. Also, if your goal is AAC, give me the odds of Presidents of those schools voting us in ( especially if they are about to get a guaranteed seat in playoff expansion - what is in it for them? I assume Ian is in their ear and has some $ to play with to entice an offer, but just politically, what are our chances ( immediate ) and what would change ( politically )if we took a longer term goal of eventually being worthy of an AAC invite. I haven’t seen anyone break down the academic and political roadblocks ( like you did ACC ). Maybe it is dramatically better, I haven’t researched that aspect. Anyone?
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]