If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: December 21st, 2023, 5:27 pm
ATrain wrote: December 21st, 2023, 12:55 pm
paradox wrote: December 21st, 2023, 10:12 am Just wondering if state funding is an obstacle for UMass at the moment. Big difference in governance between Delaware & Taxachutesettes. Basketball’s in either way.

UConn and Villanova would be interesting though. Tempting as FB only deal? Do the pros out weigh the cons or vice versa?
...just say no to UMass...I'd rather another FCS call up with much more potential and dedication to achieving said potential.

It's a fascinating question for Ian. My guess is that it's a work in progress, and there may be a hurdle or two in the way for UMass.
Definitely a fascinating question. I didn't see your comments about UConn and Villanova. I think Villanova is committed to staying FCS. UConn as football only is acceptable, provided that they are also required to play the other CUSA schools in basketball in a similar arrangement that Notre Dame has with the ACC. Of course, if FSU burns down the ACC, UConn will very likely be in that conference for all sports.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
What a busy 24 hours for relaignmentologists. Fast on the heels of the Pac 12 settlement, FSU sues the ACC to get out.

The Seminoles are doing this in state court in Florida which could limit other parties joining the suit. If they get this moved to Federal Court I could see this being joined by the obvious other parties: Clemson, UNC & UVa. If it stays in state court and FSU prevails, then expect copycat lawsuits aplenty. Crazy days ahead. This could ultimately lead to the ACC either folding or being restructured into a shell of its former self.

As for the Pac-12, the leftovers won't have the economic windfall they had hoped to attain. But there is enough left in the pot for them to be able to restructure under their own terms. That means WAZZU & OSU won't be forced into a full merger with the MWC. They'll be able to choose who joins the PAC pack. So they will likely cherry-pick the MWC after the 2-year scheduling deal with that league expires. How many teams do they take? It is purely speculation at this stage. They likely will also choose to go after an AAC school or two or possibly even Texas State from the Sun Belt.

Ultimately all of these shifting chairs could lead to an improved opportunity for us. But a number of things have to happen for that to occur.
ballcoach15 liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
The ACC has dug its own grave in the past few years. I can't recall the last time the ACC made a good decision. Bad leadership or maybe it was no leadership. But I'm confident they will bury the conference to save Notre Dame.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I believe Louisville would be left behind. I've been a ACC fan most of my life, but I hope conference crashes, because of their addition of Cal, Stanford and SMU. And their love for Notre Dame.
By cruzan_flame13
Sly Fox wrote: December 22nd, 2023, 1:43 pm What a busy 24 hours for relaignmentologists. Fast on the heels of the Pac 12 settlement, FSU sues the ACC to get out.

The Seminoles are doing this in state court in Florida which could limit other parties joining the suit. If they get this moved to Federal Court I could see this being joined by the obvious other parties: Clemson, UNC & UVa. If it stays in state court and FSU prevails, then expect copycat lawsuits aplenty. Crazy days ahead. This could ultimately lead to the ACC either folding or being restructured into a shell of its former self.

As for the Pac-12, the leftovers won't have the economic windfall they had hoped to attain. But there is enough left in the pot for them to be able to restructure under their own terms. That means WAZZU & OSU won't be forced into a full merger with the MWC. They'll be able to choose who joins the PAC pack. So they will likely cherry-pick the MWC after the 2-year scheduling deal with that league expires. How many teams do they take? It is purely speculation at this stage. They likely will also choose to go after an AAC school or two or possibly even Texas State from the Sun Belt.

Ultimately all of these shifting chairs could lead to an improved opportunity for us. But a number of things have to happen for that to occur.
Are you hearing anything more about schools being allowed to fund NIL's? If that's the case, I mean spending a few millions on some players wouldn't hurt LU at all. Getting some key players to make us make the CFP would help the school get that money back plus more. Treat those players well and not trick them like other big schools have done, and LU can see big players wanting to come here. With better options, the coaches can select the ones who's here for business and can benefit from the mission. It is an easier pathway to the NFL, so why not? Win win to me, considering the leadership here loves to be in the spotlight . I know folks would ask where the money will come from, keep in mind we are a nonprofit institution so this mention would technically be included under tax exemption. Could be wrong though :lol:
By tyndal23
cruzan_flame13 wrote: December 23rd, 2023, 5:35 pm
Sly Fox wrote: December 22nd, 2023, 1:43 pm What a busy 24 hours for relaignmentologists. Fast on the heels of the Pac 12 settlement, FSU sues the ACC to get out.

Are you hearing anything more about schools being allowed to fund NIL's? If that's the case, I mean spending a few millions on some players wouldn't hurt LU at all. Getting some key players to make us make the CFP would help the school get that money back plus more. Treat those players well and not trick them like other big schools have done, and LU can see big players wanting to come here. With better options, the coaches can select the ones who's here for business and can benefit from the mission. It is an easier pathway to the NFL, so why not? Win win to me, considering the leadership here loves to be in the spotlight . I know folks would ask where the money will come from, keep in mind we are a nonprofit institution so this mention would technically be included under tax exemption. Could be wrong though :lol:
Hobby Lobby...
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
In spite of popular opinion, we do not have unlimited resources. More than other G5s? Absolutely. But you need tons of deep pockets to compete for athletes at the level above us.

Coaches who can spot talent and develop them while under their watch are the ones who will do well under the new paradigm that is coming into shape. The idea of a student athlete sticking around for five years at the same school is going to be rarer moving forward. I also suspect that coaches guaranteeing scholarships without production on the field is likely to go away as well.
Baybird, ATrain liked this
By jmclaughlin
Sly Fox wrote: December 23rd, 2023, 11:42 pm In spite of popular opinion, we do not have unlimited resources. More than other G5s? Absolutely. But you need tons of deep pockets to compete for athletes at the level above us.

Coaches who can spot talent and develop them while under their watch are the ones who will do well under the new paradigm that is coming into shape. The idea of a student athlete sticking around for five years at the same school is going to be rarer moving forward. I also suspect that coaches guaranteeing scholarships without production on the field is likely to go away as well.
I don't disagree with any of your take on the new norm. However, I do think it slows down considerably in the next 2-3 years. We are finally on the tail end of these 7th year, Senior+'s. That has magnified the antsy underclassmen wanting to find a shot somewhere. With the new ability to jump ship, it has given many that chance. Also, for every Bo Nix, there are 30 Trey Lowe's and that will create more pause in the jump to portalpalooza.
By tyndal23
Sly Fox wrote: December 23rd, 2023, 11:42 pm In spite of popular opinion, we do not have unlimited resources. More than other G5s? Absolutely. But you need tons of deep pockets to compete for athletes at the level above us.

Hobby Lobby...there should be a flight tracker from Lynchburg to OKC weekly for as long as it takes. Costin needs to reaffirm the vision and assure a JF JR never happens again and the Seminary / Mission is core to next generation.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The Greens have plenty on their plate right in their own backyard with their direct leadership of ORU. I don't suspect that they will be an active partner in this endeavor.

Our cash is based on LU Online and that has sustained surprisingly well through the last few rocky years. Frankly I expected us to take a greater hit to our online enrollment due to the scandals. But that cash flow has been relatively resilient.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Rumors are swirling that UNC, NC State, Clemson, Miami, UVA, and VT are going to join FSU's lawsuit against the ACC.
By cruzan_flame13
Sly Fox wrote: December 24th, 2023, 10:24 am The Greens have plenty on their plate right in their own backyard with their direct leadership of ORU. I don't suspect that they will be an active partner in this endeavor.

Our cash is based on LU Online and that has sustained surprisingly well through the last few rocky years. Frankly I expected us to take a greater hit to our online enrollment due to the scandals. But that cash flow has been relatively resilient.
Wouldn't it be nice to not only depend on LU online cash? Why not try to connect with more businesses whose owners are believers. Isn't the owners of In and out believers (or claim to be?). Imagine working with them, heck lets have a couple In and outs locally (one specifically on campus) :lol:. How about we get sponsored by the Bible museum, etc. I'm not saying that it will happen, but has LU tried to get sponsors as mentioned? I don't think those in the leadership role cares and are satisfied in their comfortable positions.
LUOrange liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: December 24th, 2023, 12:02 pm I thought it was still in state court? Wouldn’t that means only Miami could join it?
It could be getting ready to get moved to federal court, or they could be preparing to file in concert in their own states. Either way, the rumor mill is indicating FSU won't be alone in suing the ACC.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote: December 24th, 2023, 12:13 pm
Sly Fox wrote: December 24th, 2023, 10:24 am The Greens have plenty on their plate right in their own backyard with their direct leadership of ORU. I don't suspect that they will be an active partner in this endeavor.

Wouldn't it be nice to not only depend on LU online cash? Why not try to connect with more businesses whose owners are believers. Isn't the owners of In and out believers (or claim to be?). Imagine working with them, heck lets have a couple In and outs locally (one specifically on campus) :lol:. How about we get sponsored by the Bible museum, etc. I'm not saying that it will happen, but has LU tried to get sponsors as mentioned? I don't think those in the leadership role cares and are satisfied in their comfortable positions.
JJ specifically steered development and fundraising away from private sources. He disliked it because it gave donors a feeling they could exert influence.
LUOrange liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: December 24th, 2023, 1:58 pm

JJ specifically steered development and fundraising away from private sources. He disliked it because it gave donors a feeling they could exert influence.
That was always Seniors vision. He didn’t want to be beholden to anyone else’s agenda. It didn’t always happen but that vision was finally realized by Junior.
LUOrange liked this
By ECC29
Speaking of sponsors. I have a curious question if anyone can enlighten me. Why is LU athletics wearing Nike? Nike made billions of dollars from China and its homebase is in the liberal/woke state of Oregon. Why not Under Armour? I don’t work for UA so I do not make money defending UA. Under Armour’s owner graduated from Fork Union (military academy) and professed to be a Christian. UA have used China before to make its products but UA is shying away from China. Most of their products are made from other smaller southeast Asian countries and some Middle East countries but not China. Why is LU stuck with Nike? Just wondering.
By tyndal23

He is giving all of it away to ministries. I don’t see him giving it to LU Athletics, but he could double our endowment ( or triple or quadruple it if he wanted ) which frees up LU $ to put in Athletics if they choose.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
ECC29 wrote: December 24th, 2023, 2:27 pm Speaking of sponsors. I have a curious question if anyone can enlighten me. Why is LU athletics wearing Nike? Nike made billions of dollars from China and its homebase is in the liberal/woke state of Oregon. Why not Under Armour? I don’t work for UA so I do not make money defending UA. Under Armour’s owner graduated from Fork Union (military academy) and professed to be a Christian. UA have used China before to make its products but UA is shying away from China. Most of their products are made from other smaller southeast Asian countries and some Middle East countries but not China. Why is LU stuck with Nike? Just wondering.
Where did you hear UA is moving away from China? A friend of yours?

A lot of athletic clothing manufacturers are trying to move away, Nike included but it's proving to be easier said than done.

I'm sure Liberty got a good deal with Nike. I don't think it is a sponsorship deal to say the least but I could be wrong. We use to have some uniform experts on this board. Maybe they'll chime in.
By Ill flame

Considering LU has an endowment that is bigger than most P5s on a per student basis would that really be necessary? It's looking like it'll be awhile before the LUO money dries up and by then the endowment will be significantly bigger than it is now.
By cruzan_flame13
Ill flame wrote: December 24th, 2023, 5:56 pm

Considering LU has an endowment that is bigger than most P5s on a per student basis would that really be necessary? It's looking like it'll be awhile before the LUO money dries up and by then the endowment will be significantly bigger than it is now.
I'm not suggestion only for financial purposes, it can also help with branding purposes. It's never an issue to have extra extra cash on the side. UVA comes to mind.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: December 24th, 2023, 3:29 pm
ECC29 wrote: December 24th, 2023, 2:27 pm Speaking of sponsors. I have a curious question if anyone can enlighten me. Why is LU athletics wearing Nike? Nike made billions of dollars from China and its homebase is in the liberal/woke state of Oregon. Why not Under Armour? I don’t work for UA so I do not make money defending UA. Under Armour’s owner graduated from Fork Union (military academy) and professed to be a Christian. UA have used China before to make its products but UA is shying away from China. Most of their products are made from other smaller southeast Asian countries and some Middle East countries but not China. Why is LU stuck with Nike? Just wondering.
Where did you hear UA is moving away from China? A friend of yours?

A lot of athletic clothing manufacturers are trying to move away, Nike included but it's proving to be easier said than done.

I'm sure Liberty got a good deal with Nike. I don't think it is a sponsorship deal to say the least but I could be wrong. We use to have some uniform experts on this board. Maybe they'll chime in.
I can’t remember the details specifically but I know Nike doesn’t pay LU to wear their stuff. They do ‘provide’ gear for the entire athletic department and I *believe * that includes Club Sports. This *usually* entails providing significant pricing discounts on everything which is very helpful. I know what the discount to HS is I can only imagine the discount is much much greater at the level LU is at.
I also think the contract runs through next year. Either 2024 or 2025. Unless that has changed.

UA has done a good job of creating the Made in America concept. I’d wager if you asked 100 athletes or sports fans in UA gear was Made in America most would say it is. I do like UA. I think they have more quality stuff than does Nike. They have those hideous Maryland uni’s though…
LUOrange liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote: December 22nd, 2023, 11:13 am
paradox wrote: December 21st, 2023, 5:27 pm
ATrain wrote: December 21st, 2023, 12:55 pm

...just say no to UMass...I'd rather another FCS call up with much more potential and dedication to achieving said potential.

It's a fascinating question for Ian. My guess is that it's a work in progress, and there may be a hurdle or two in the way for UMass.
Definitely a fascinating question. I didn't see your comments about UConn and Villanova. I think Villanova is committed to staying FCS. UConn as football only is acceptable, provided that they are also required to play the other CUSA schools in basketball in a similar arrangement that Notre Dame has with the ACC. Of course, if FSU burns down the ACC, UConn will very likely be in that conference for all sports.
UConn & Villanova as a FB only deal has been rumored for years. They definitely take a deal if they can get one, not sure what CUSA commish position is on this one?

As far as UMass goes, they’ll turn out to be a better overall addition than NMSU.
LUOrange liked this
By LUOrange
I think UMass would be the best add vs another FCS call-up, and I think their football would improve some once in a conference. I also wouldn't be opposed to UConn & Nova as football only adds, so long as they provided the conference a guaranteed number of home and away MBB, WBB, baseball & softball games every year. I, definitely don't think LU should oppose their memberships, cause we may need their alliances in a future watered down ACC or mid-atlantic conference scenario in the not-too distant future.
Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be betwee[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]