If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By From the class of 09
Registration Days Posts
So if the Big 10 goes really big (like 16 teams big) do you think that this could have a trickle down effect to touch even LU? I mean assume the Big 10 steals at least three teams from the Big East they in turn have to fill those spots if they remain a football conference. They most likely go to Conf. USA who in turn needs to replace teams. Eventually leaving open spots in something like the Southern Conference, that LU might fill.

Would you think this could happen or am I overlooking something? Would the Southern Conference be enough of an upgrade to consider once they are robbed of their top teams?
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
From the class of 09 wrote:So if the Big 10 goes really big (like 16 teams big) do you think that this could have a trickle down effect to touch even LU? I mean assume the Big 10 steals at least three teams from the Big East they in turn have to fill those spots if they remain a football conference. They most likely go to Conf. USA who in turn needs to replace teams. Eventually leaving open spots in something like the Southern Conference, that LU might fill.

Would you think this could happen or am I overlooking something? Would the Southern Conference be enough of an upgrade to consider once they are robbed of their top teams?
its been asked before and the answer remains...we are not ready for that...not even close
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
I think it'll just start a whole new round of conference realignment which of course affects the Big South and hopefully LU. If they went to 16, which seems crazy to me given how crazy the BE basketball schedule is, would other conferences try to match? If they did, that would basically make the leftovers from the 2nd tier conferences band together into a couple of fairly worthless FBS conferences. We could get in on that, but what is the future in that? Who knows. Maybe those programs lose a ton of money and have to drop/downgrade. Maybe they develop into conferences with a bid.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:
From the class of 09 wrote:So if the Big 10 goes really big (like 16 teams big) do you think that this could have a trickle down effect to touch even LU? I mean assume the Big 10 steals at least three teams from the Big East they in turn have to fill those spots if they remain a football conference. They most likely go to Conf. USA who in turn needs to replace teams. Eventually leaving open spots in something like the Southern Conference, that LU might fill.

its been asked before and the answer remains...we are not ready for that...not even close
He’s talking about jumping to the Socon. We are more than ready for that.
By From the class of 09
Registration Days Posts
jcmanson wrote:
thepostman wrote:
He’s talking about jumping to the Socon. We are more than ready for that.
:nod
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Would we want to be in the Socon? I know it's better than the Big South but for me it's CAA or just stay put until we have the attendance (and conference) to make the jump.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:Would we want to be in the Socon? I know it's better than the Big South but for me it's CAA or just stay put until we have the attendance (and conference) to make the jump.
I'd love the SoCon. It's better in most sports and has better name recognition.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:Would we want to be in the Socon? I know it's better than the Big South but for me it's CAA or just stay put until we have the attendance (and conference) to make the jump.
I'm fine with the Socon. Obviously I'd rather be in the CAA, but as SJ said the Socon is better in most sports and has a much better name recognition.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
What would the Pac10 have to offer Texas that they don't already have? The Big10 can offer them tons of TV revenue, the Pac10 doesn't have that.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
I think it's just a matter of which Big 12 team flinches first. I'm not sure why but it seems like it is a candidate for being taken from, and you don't want to be one of the 10 or 11 teams that didn't get taken.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
I understand that the Southern Conference is better than the Big South, but I'm not convinced it would benefit Liberty. The time and travel costs would be increased considerably. What is the upside? LU would be better served continuing to invest in scholarships and facilities and wait for the right opportunity to gain entry into a FBS conference. The CAA is the only FCS conference that makes sense competitively and geographically.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The SoCon has much greater name recognition? Perhaps in the Carolinas. Otherwise no one has heard of either. The CAA has some national respect. I will be disappointed if we found ourselves in the SoCon ten years from now.

As for Pac 10, they would need a TV deal to even think of attracting UT/A&M. But keep in mind, much like Notre Dame there are no money issues with the Horns or Aggies (although the other Texas publics continue to battle in court system to change that advantage). Frankly I don't see Texas heading anywhere but they are enjoying being chased. Of course, if the Big Ten snatches 1 or 2 northern schools from Big XII, then it could get real interesting with what Arkansas & LSU would prefer. Again this is all ridiculously hypothetical ... but fun nonetheless.
By From the class of 09
Registration Days Posts
I would take either and not complain. Obviously it would depend on what happens with the bigger guys on what could possibly open up. But I think LU would be crazy to decline either invite. You don’t build a football stadium 3x as big as anyone else in your conference (when it's done in 5 years)to stay put :D

(VMI is the closest at 10k capacity: http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/ ... onference/)
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
SumItUp wrote:The time and travel costs would be increased considerably..
Besides this fact being debatable (the SoCon is a bus league, just like the Big South), this isn't a real concern for LU's athletic administrators.
SumItUp wrote:The CAA is the only FCS conference that makes sense competitively and geographically.
And because the financial aspect of a move to the SoCon is of little concern, the geographic concerns are more on the part of the SoCon (do they want to branch North?) For the same reasons as were considered when they invited Samford 2 years ago.

And competitively, there's simply little to no comparison overall.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Personally if we move to another conference I am not sure SoCon would be the one I would want to go to...but then again its still a step up from the big south, especially in the money sports....
By From the class of 09
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Personally if we move to another conference I am not sure SoCon would be the one I would want to go to...
Where else would you want to go? The CAA and SoCon seem to be the only legitimate options in the short term.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
The Big East has hired Paul Tagliabue to advise them with their strategy.
By From the class of 09
Registration Days Posts
Mike Slive, the SEC commissioner gave the following quote concerning the SEC part of Big 10 explanation:

"If there is going to be a significant shift in the conference paradigm, the SEC will be strategic and thoughtful to make sure it maintains its position as one of the nation's pre-eminent conferences,"
http://www.nebraska.tv/Global/story.asp?S=12354079

It looks like the SEC will be looking to add teams in order to keep up with the Big 10. If both conferences really move to 16 teams you can kiss the Big East and the Big 12 as we know them good bye. :guntohead
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
As a huge Big East basketball fan, I'm not looking forward to any of this.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
I think it's safe to say that college football will ruin college basketball no matter which conference you pull for. I think the Big East and the ACC are not going to handle this well.

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

What is the scouting report on Isaiah Ihnen from […]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]