If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
EKU seems to have a good vision towards moving to FBS football. The 3 new schools improve the demographics of the ASUN, with new geographical venues. JSU is excited about being able to "move eastward".
By cruzan_flame13
Class of 20Something wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 10:32 am For anyone wondering what A10 sports are sponsored and participation by school.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_ ... nce#Sports

I'm not actually convinced one way or the other.
This would be great for us when it comes to the title IX despute. We could add swimming and diving for men and women and also rowing for women. We would have top notice facilities for all these sports.
Last edited by cruzan_flame13 on February 3rd, 2021, 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
By cruzan_flame13
Class of 20Something wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 10:34 am If we're going going to a non-football, I think the Big East is the play.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_East_ ... n's_sports
We'd need a miracle to get an invite in this conference :lol: . Most of the schools are Jesuit Catholic and have a resume that we can't really compare to. Nonetheless, this would be the best option and could include additional programs that are club sports to D1.

Edit: I do think it's interesting that the commissioner took a 3 year extension. I'm guessing she has reached a point in her life where she should move on, but also could be that she doesn't have to deal with the Big East's next TV contract :lol: .
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 1:13 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 12:43 pm I believe most would rather take a road trip to Jacksonville or Fort Myers, than to St. Bonaventure or Fordham. (St. Louis and Davidson are only 2 schools in A-10 that I would enjoy a road trip to).

For the record, there is no one who attends as many LU athletic events yearly as me. In 2019, I believe I attended 79 games. (football, basketball (M/W), baseball, softball)
Nice try with the St Bonnie/Fordham references. There are several A-10 matchups against attractive opponents within easy driving distance. You happen to be in a very unusual position to have the time and flexibility to be able to make those long ASUN road trips. You are pretty much alone in that, but don't get me wrong, it still takes a big commitment, and that is to be commended.
Quite honestly I would love a road trip to NYC to play Fordham. Plus Richmond, George Mason, and VCU (plus ODU if they join) are within easy driving distance.

Jacksonville is ok to visit once, but its honestly not anything special.
LUOrange liked this
By Ill flame
Whether we stay independent or not I support all of this realignment. I think we will gradually make our way back to more regionally aligned conferences and these changes are the first steps. The A-10 clearly didn't pay much attention to the big east because the schools with football will eventually break off into a new conference.

In the meantime C-USA will have lost half of its eastern division and the sunbelt will officially be the better conference. Will the sunbelt see blood in the water and decide to poach a couple of C-USAs better schools?

Or will C-USA commit to the west and offer texas St, Arkansas St and the louisiana schools a chance to join a more regionally aligned C-USA? If so does the sunbelt respond by adding C-USAs eastern schools?

No matter what I think Liberty would have some leverage here. They would make all 3 of these conferences stronger across the board. Whether they decide to join is a completely different debate.
By Class of 20Something
I was going to post this in the Freeze conference comments thread but it's probably better here. The context is including football.

As alignment is, the American is the only answer.

If someone was aggressive and took the top off the SBC and CUSA and made a conference, I might be interested in that.

Just to rattle off a possible 12 team of
Marshall, FAU, WKU, UNT, SoMiss, UAB, Coastal, App, Troy, Louisiana, Liberty, and maybe pull up JMU with it.

UNT may be a geographic oddball, so maybe swap them for FIU or MTSU.
By LUOrange
ATrain wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 9:08 pm
olldflame wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 1:13 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 12:43 pm I believe most would rather take a road trip to Jacksonville or Fort Myers, than to St. Bonaventure or Fordham. (St. Louis and Davidson are only 2 schools in A-10 that I would enjoy a road trip to).

For the record, there is no one who attends as many LU athletic events yearly as me. In 2019, I believe I attended 79 games. (football, basketball (M/W), baseball, softball)
Nice try with the St Bonnie/Fordham references. There are several A-10 matchups against attractive opponents within easy driving distance. You happen to be in a very unusual position to have the time and flexibility to be able to make those long ASUN road trips. You are pretty much alone in that, but don't get me wrong, it still takes a big commitment, and that is to be commended.
Quite honestly I would love a road trip to NYC to play Fordham. Plus Richmond, George Mason, and VCU (plus ODU if they join) are within easy driving distance.

Jacksonville is ok to visit once, but its honestly not anything special.
There's nothing exciting about going to Jacksonville just to play in a "historic" high school gym. Heck, I wouldn't doubt that many of the high schools down there have bigger gyms and get more press than JU and UNF.
ATrain liked this
By LUOrange
Class of 20Something wrote: February 4th, 2021, 12:54 pm I was going to post this in the Freeze conference comments thread but it's probably better here. The context is including football.

As alignment is, the American is the only answer.

If someone was aggressive and took the top off the SBC and CUSA and made a conference, I might be interested in that.

Just to rattle off a possible 12 team of
Marshall, FAU, WKU, UNT, SoMiss, UAB, Coastal, App, Troy, Louisiana, Liberty, and maybe pull up JMU with it.

UNT may be a geographic oddball, so maybe swap them for FIU or MTSU.
As I said in the Freeze Comment thread, I don't think we should consider the SBC or CUSA as is, unless they offer us a Notre Dame type deal. We're better off waiting a little longer to see what shakes up in the next few years.

If this long talked up SBC-CUSA regional shake up actually occurs. I'd think we'd be foolish not to consider it. I, also think that the schools involved would be foolish not to consider us as well.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
There are plenty of rumors that include some football affiliates out west. Whenever we are brought up in discussions it seems to evolve into the typical stuff we heard from the Sun Belt folks a few years back. Nothing is imminent as far as expansion. But that would obviously be a MAJOR step up.
TH Spangler liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
I was searching for something new on expansion and Liberty. These two articles pop up, in order. One from 2017 the other from 2020. Hopfully we do better next round. :lol:

By cruzan_flame13
Sly Fox wrote: May 5th, 2021, 4:24 pm There are plenty of rumors that include some football affiliates out west. Whenever we are brought up in discussions it seems to evolve into the typical stuff we heard from the Sun Belt folks a few years back. Nothing is imminent as far as expansion. But that would obviously be a MAJOR step up.
If we could make a deal for our Olympic sports, then that would be major. That might make the other schools presidents feel more at ease if we don't get a big piece of their pie. I wouldn't mind LU doing what Notre Dame is doing with the ACC with the AAC.
By tyndal23
I would prefer LU FB playing opposite ND in ACC ( teams that don’t play ND the option to play LU as a P5 equivalent home and home ) makes more sense for 7 teams geographically ( VA,VT,UNC,WF,Duke,NC State,GT) and 1 team religious ( BC ). Just don’t make it “mandatory” and simply an “option”and most of those schools would be all over it.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Speaking of the ACC, why do we not regularly schedule ACC teams in basketball, as we do in other sports ? If my memory is correct, we are 12-6 this school year vs ACC.

2-1 football
5-4 baseball
5-1 softball
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
I know the answer has been explained many times to you, BC. You just choose not to listen.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: May 6th, 2021, 6:49 am Speaking of the ACC, why do we not regularly schedule ACC teams in basketball, as we do in other sports ? If my memory is correct, we are 12-6 this school year vs ACC.

2-1 football
5-4 baseball
5-1 softball
0-1 basketball
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: May 6th, 2021, 7:48 am If it has, I can't remember. Post a Quote or something.
The reason we won’t schedule UVA is obvious
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
A Sea of Red wrote: May 6th, 2021, 8:23 am McKay told me a year or two ago that he called to try and schedule (nearly) every ACC school and they all turned him down.
Seems a good and oft repeated reason. Maybe ballcoach should write it down on a slip of paper and put it in his wallet so he doesn’t forget.
olldflame liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
A Sea of Red wrote: May 6th, 2021, 8:23 am McKay told me a year or two ago that he called to try and schedule (nearly) every ACC school and they all turned him down.
And to elaborate, I don't believe he was even asking for home and home, 2 for 1, or a big guarantee; just play us at your place .
By A Sea of Red
Posts Custom
olldflame wrote: May 6th, 2021, 9:05 am
And to elaborate, I don't believe he was even asking for home and home, 2 for 1, or a big guarantee; just play us at your place .
That's correct.
ballcoach15, LU 57 liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]