If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Ill flame
Pac 12 after dark was great when I was still in Alaska and they were the only games on in the evenings. There's no way I'm watching that now.
By Ill flame
If SDSU and SMU ends up moving to the pac 12 that would put us firmly in the top 5 for G5 athletic spending behind Memphis, Temple, USF and Colorado state. None of them having particularly strong football programs. The competition at the G5 level keeps getting weaker. Seems like a great opportunity for us to establish ourselves as a top G5 over the next several years.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
It is a shame our board and administration has wasted so much time getting our act together and allowed our reputation to continue to be smeared. Otherwise we would most certainly be in the hunt for better options than CUSA. As it stands, we are fortunate to be where we are.
Purple Haize, Baybird liked this
By Ill flame
It's always nice when people think of us in a positive way but being #1 on a list that includes Akron, Buffalo and UNLV feels like being the tallest midget. I think it's more likely that MTSU, Texas state, Georgia state, UTEP, FIU or ODU gets chosen before anyone on that list. The AAC just added Charlotte, Rice, UAB, FAU, UTSA and UNT. All of those schools are historically very weak football schools. Winning clearly isn't a priority for them.
By cruzan_flame13
Ill flame wrote: February 14th, 2023, 5:09 pm It's always nice when people think of us in a positive way but being #1 on a list that includes Akron, Buffalo and UNLV feels like being the tallest midget. I think it's more likely that MTSU, Texas state, Georgia state, UTEP, FIU or ODU gets chosen before anyone on that list. The AAC just added Charlotte, Rice, UAB, FAU, UTSA and UNT. All of those schools are historically very weak football schools. Winning clearly isn't a priority for them.
Notice that every school that was chosen was in CUSA. AAC isn't getting any school in Sun Belt since they (the fans mostly) believe that they're better than the AAC 2.0 right now. They'll likely call WKU of they don't already aim for a team or two from MWC.
By Ill flame
cruzan_flame13 wrote: February 14th, 2023, 5:17 pm
Notice that every school that was chosen was in CUSA. AAC isn't getting any school in Sun Belt since they (the fans mostly) believe that they're better than the AAC 2.0 right now. They'll likely call WKU of they don't already aim for a team or two from MWC.
The AAC chose CUSA schools because they wanted big market schools and the sunbelt doesn't have that outside of Georgia state. Sunbelt fans have done some CNN level spin to convince themselves that their school wasn't promoted because they like the sunbelt better instead of not being wanted.

No MWC school will accept an offer to AAC, they've tried in the past and been rejected every time. This leaves CUSA or the sunbelt as the their only options. There were rumors that ESPN encouraged AAC to poach from CUSA instead of the sunbelt since ESPN doesnt have the primary rights to CUSA. I'm curious to see if that rumor still holds weight if the AAC backfills SMU. I don't believe for a second we will be that team but it's always fun to speculate. It's the closest thing to promotion/relegation anyone in America has.
By LUOrange
Buffalo, UNLV, ODU, GA State all fit the type of decent market school that the AAC chose last round. I'd suspect that they may make another run at Boise, CO State, Air Force, and Army though.

Obviously, I agree that we'd be great in the AAC. Having nearby rivals in ECU, UNCC, Navy, and Temple would be awesome. Unfortunately, I agree that we're probably not getting selected despite the love of some in the media, podcasters, and Youtubers.

In the meantime, I'll enjoy us dominating CUSA similarly to how we've dominated the ASUN and playing against schools that actually want to play with us. Now we just need to do something about those fanabase killing midweek football games in 2024...
ATrain liked this
By Ill flame
LUOrange wrote: February 14th, 2023, 9:34 pm Buffalo, UNLV, ODU, GA State all fit the type of decent market school that the AAC chose last round. I'd suspect that they may make another run at Boise, CO State, Air Force, and Army though.
I agree. The AAC wouldn't be doing their job if they don't at least make those MWC schools and army say no again before they move on to plan B. Of the sunbelt school that I think AAC will consider, it wouldn't suprise me if Georgia state is the only one that wouldn't be willing to leave the sunbelt. They seem perfectly content with mediocrity instead of having to spend AAC money. Buffalo fits their profile but is very far away from everyone. If scheduling for 13 teams wasn't such a pain I would assume they wouldn't backfill at all. Such weak options.
By LUOrange
Ill flame wrote: February 15th, 2023, 9:41 am
LUOrange wrote: February 14th, 2023, 9:34 pm Buffalo, UNLV, ODU, GA State all fit the type of decent market school that the AAC chose last round. I'd suspect that they may make another run at Boise, CO State, Air Force, and Army though.
I agree. The AAC wouldn't be doing their job if they don't at least make those MWC schools and army say no again before they move on to plan B. Of the sunbelt school that I think AAC will consider, it wouldn't suprise me if Georgia state is the only one that wouldn't be willing to leave the sunbelt. They seem perfectly content with mediocrity instead of having to spend AAC money. Buffalo fits their profile but is very far away from everyone. If scheduling for 13 teams wasn't such a pain I would assume they wouldn't backfill at all. Such weak options.
I believe GA State told them no during the last round. They're probably content with all of the regional rivalries that they have in the SBC East.

I'd expect them to fill their vacancy due to ESPN wanting content, it's just whether they want a brand name or a major metro area. I don't think Buffalo's too far out of the way for the AAC East. But if they go west for Boise, UNLV, or Air Force- do they consider going to 16 in order to get a travel partner?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Liberty would be a better fit for AAC, Big 12 or ACC, than any of those schools listed above. How many G5 schools have beat SEC schools in football, basketball, softball and baseball in past 2 seasons ? Only 1 that I know of.
Regardless of what some may say, athletics drive conference expansion more than academics.
LUOrange, TH Spangler liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
If athletics were the primary driver, we wouldn't be in the predicament in which we find ourselves. Our athletics would make us a slam dunk AAC frontrunner. And yet we are not even a part of the conversation. And unlike prior snubbings, I don't believe religion is much of an issue this time. Academics and our penchant for not getting out of our own way with the complete lack of leadership at the administrative and board levels are the major factors.

As for AAC backfill, it is anybody's guess. They covet Army most of all but offer little to entice the West Pointers to join other than access to the CFP. And frankly, that seems like an extremely slight possibility based on the even greater challenges of a service academy in an NIL world. Georgia State fits league profile the best of all candidates. But whether or not they view today's AAC as a significant enough upgrade over the current Belt is a legitimate question. Ditto for Buffalo in regard to the MAC. Although I believe the latter are more likely to accept an invitation than the folks in Atlanta. The MWC options would only give consideration if they felt like their league were about to be left on the rubble pile with multiple defections. Texas State is discussed but with UTSA already in the fold, they wouldn't bring as much juice as they would to a MWC that desires a strong Texan foothold. Keep an eye on ODU as a dark horse for #14 if needed.

Multiple reports have mentioned the possibility of the Pac-12 considering an expansion of four teams. That would have to occur only out of fear of extinction but could also include Tulane, Rice, Fresno State or UNLV. Tulane and Rice both better fit the Pac-12 academic profile.
Baybird, Ill flame, ATrain and 1 others liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I am reminded of a meeting of Virginia High School League about 25 years ago, on major realignment. When meeting started an old football coach/AD stood up and said: "ladies and gentlemen, you can say what you want to say, but at the end of the day, this is about nothing but football scores".
Same thought process applies with NCAA.
By Ill flame
:dontgetit :dontgetit
The 6 schools that AAC just added are historically weak football schools. If it was all about football scores Liberty, WKU, Louisiana and app state would be in the AAC. Rutgers and Maryland certainly wouldn't be in the big ten and it's debatable whether mizzou would be in the SEC. They were a solid football and basketball school before the ferguson riots but weren't world beaters. West virginia would also be in the ACC. These conferences aren't shy about the fact that markets and academics come first and athletics are secondary. Maybe you should listen to more interviews from these commissioners.
By AATL
Here is the AAC's press release regarding the six members they added in the most recent realignment: https://theamerican.org/news/2021/10/21 ... ities.aspx

Commissioner Aresco specifically mentions "adding excellent institutions that are established in major cities..." right at the start. The following paragraph is about the American's presence in top media markets. The school-by-school introductions center on each institution's academic accomplishments and rankings, research status, enrollment, and/or alumni statistics.

If athletics existed in a vacuum, Liberty would be in great shape for realignment.
Ill flame liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: February 15th, 2023, 1:21 pm I am reminded of a meeting of Virginia High School League about 25 years ago, on major realignment. When meeting started an old football coach/AD stood up and said: "ladies and gentlemen, you can say what you want to say, but at the end of the day, this is about nothing but football scores".
Same thought process applies with NCAA.
No it doesn’t. But you’re never one to let facts get in the way of preconceived notions.
ATrain, Baybird liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Ohio State has canceled its home and home with Washington. Additionally, CBS and Turner have ended negotiations with the PAC-12. There is only ONE thing driving realignment:TV rating$$$

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... washington
https://www.si.com/college/stanford/foo ... gotiations
LUOrange liked this
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
We all know they did it to schedule a home and home with us.
By Ill flame
Tothehoopyall1 wrote: February 15th, 2023, 6:21 pm All this to say.. We won't be in CUSA very long.
Very long is a relative term. I think we will be in a new conference in less than 10 years but for some people that's a long time. Whether our new conference is an upgrade will be the interesting part. There are so many directions it could go and several could be bad for us. Things are about to get wild when those ACC GORs get close to expiring and it becomes economical for the B1G and SEC to buy out the last few years. In the intermediate term, the best case scenario for us in my mind is for the ACC to get picked apart and we get invited to join the leftovers in what would essentially be the new big east/AAC "P6" type conference.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote: February 15th, 2023, 10:47 pm We all know they did it to schedule a home and home with us.
P5 Equivalent baby!
ATrain liked this
By LUOrange
Ill flame wrote: February 16th, 2023, 12:18 am
Tothehoopyall1 wrote: February 15th, 2023, 6:21 pm All this to say.. We won't be in CUSA very long.
Very long is a relative term. I think we will be in a new conference in less than 10 years but for some people that's a long time. Whether our new conference is an upgrade will be the interesting part. There are so many directions it could go and several could be bad for us. Things are about to get wild when those ACC GORs get close to expiring and it becomes economical for the B1G and SEC to buy out the last few years. In the intermediate term, the best case scenario for us in my mind is for the ACC to get picked apart and we get invited to join the leftovers in what would essentially be the new big east/AAC "P6" type conference.
This is my thoughts, beliefs, and/or hopes- joining what's left of the ACC. Which will be essentially the old Big East plus a few AAC and ACC left behinds.
By Tothehoopyall1
LUOrange wrote: February 16th, 2023, 10:01 am
Ill flame wrote: February 16th, 2023, 12:18 am
This is my thoughts, beliefs, and/or hopes- joining what's left of the ACC. Which will be essentially the old Big East plus a few AAC and ACC left behinds.
If what you are describing happens.. I think this is a slam dunk for Liberty.. even in a revamped ACC.

Agreed Cruzan. Memphis just got $5 million a […]

New Mexico State

Crazy game, should have won it about an hour and a[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

We went from everyone on the team being 6’7&[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]