If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
As quick as a Zoom could be set up. That is if Prevo isn't bebopping across Alaska or Hawaii on an LU plane on "university business".

Those suggesting that Colorado is not in play for either the B1G or SEC or not paying attention ot what is driving this power grab. Honestly aside from Notre Dame & Stanford, it could be argued that thy may be the most interesting expansion piecee on the table. The Buffs & Sun Devils once again coule sew up up the Mountain Time Zone for network broadcasts (aka Denver & Phoenix). I could easily see them being paired to either league.

Washington is a more attractive asset than Oregon. But obviously pairing them together makes a ton of sense. Then again Washington & Colorado could be a possibility as well.

And once again, the ACC Grant of Rights is topping nothing from happening for the valuable assets. The only thing going for it is the fact that ESPN got the ACC on the cheap locked up long term. But Clemson & FSU and possibly several others are as good as gone to the SEC.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I am absolutely positive there are spreadsheets that show both Missouri and Colorado as attractive assets but as a fan they do nothing to move the needle. Neither has been relevant since Bill Clinton was in office. They’ve always seemed interchangeable to me. Again that’s Fan perception v Financial perception. Same with Oregon and Washington. Nike Money and on field/court success seems to give the Ducks a huge advantage over the Huskies But….
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Dalegarz1 wrote: July 4th, 2022, 11:27 am How much autonomy does Ian have or perhaps the better word is "power" to act quickly as opportunities present themselves.
My guess is that he has carte blanch. Jr. knew little to nothing about sports and Prevo probably knows less. Maybe the stewardess on LU1, keeps him informed on what she knows. The leadership of LU is no better than that of big joey and his cast of useless morons. I hope God intervenes soon and gets these selfish, over-their-head people, out of the way. Whatever it takes.
cruzan_flame13, SumItUp, Sly Fox and 1 others liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote: July 3rd, 2022, 6:51 pm
Liberty should still still in good position for the Belt in your scenario.
If that happened, I would love seeing LU playing both Marshall and Coastal in conference on a regular basis.
rtb72, LUOrange liked this
By Ill flame
Purple Haize wrote: July 4th, 2022, 1:05 pm I am absolutely positive there are spreadsheets that show both Missouri and Colorado as attractive assets but as a fan they do nothing to move the needle. Neither has been relevant since Bill Clinton was in office. They’ve always seemed interchangeable to me. Again that’s Fan perception v Financial perception. Same with Oregon and Washington. Nike Money and on field/court success seems to give the Ducks a huge advantage over the Huskies But….
Idk anything about Colorado but mizzou brings more to the table than half the conference. They averaged around 9 wins a year when the sec took them and was one game away from making it to the national championship game a couple years after joining the conference. They dominate one of the bigger markets in the conference between stl/kc and are one of the top academic schools in the conference.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: July 4th, 2022, 5:40 pm
Purple Haize wrote: July 4th, 2022, 1:05 pm I am absolutely positive there are spreadsheets that show both Missouri and Colorado as attractive assets but as a fan they do nothing to move the needle. Neither has been relevant since Bill Clinton was in office. They’ve always seemed interchangeable to me. Again that’s Fan perception v Financial perception. Same with Oregon and Washington. Nike Money and on field/court success seems to give the Ducks a huge advantage over the Huskies But….
Idk anything about Colorado but mizzou brings more to the table than half the conference. They averaged around 9 wins a year when the sec took them and was one game away from making it to the national championship game a couple years after joining the conference. They dominate one of the bigger markets in the conference between stl/kc and are one of the top academic schools in the conference.
In football that was 2013-2014. Kinda surprised everyone. Before then and since then they have been delightfully average. I just don’t know of them even having a rabid fan base either. As for hoops, Derrick Chevious, Steve Stipanovich nor Norm Stewart are walking through that door
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: July 4th, 2022, 6:55 pm Serious question:

Does anyone east of Missouri/Mississippi give a ________ about the PAC 12 schools ?
USC Football always has the potential to be great
UCLA basketball is one of the most storied programs in history.
Oregon has been an innovator on and off the field
Stanford is kinda boring but their WBB team has historically been good. Their football team is successful
ASU has great marketing

So….yeah
Baybird liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: July 4th, 2022, 6:55 pm Serious question:

Does anyone east of Missouri/Mississippi give a ________ about the PAC 12 schools ?
Absolutely. The heritage at USC and UCLA is amazing. Think Heisman trophies, Student Body Right, and 11 NCAA MBB championships in 12 years and the best basketball coach to ever take a breath. Yes, it was years ago, but both schools are making somewhat of a comeback.
SC and ND have played some of the most storied football games in history.
FIGHT ON. !!!!!!!!!
Baybird liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Does anyone west of the Appalachians give a rip about the ACC? With the exception of Clemson football and some rapidly declining hoops programs in Tobacco Road the answer would surprise most Virginians and Carolinians.

Yes, Oregon has Nike but otherwise the school in Seattle has all checkmarks of a B1G school. Arguably UDub & Oregon have been better football programs than USC or UCLA for most of the past decade or so. Colorado has struggled in recruiting since their Pac-12 admission which meant they lost access to Texas where most fo their top tier talent was acquired. The hope was Cali would fill the gap. It hasn't worked out that way.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
The Big 10 can expand all they want to, but SEC will remain the best conference. ACC shoots themselves, but they're still 2nd best overall conference, even with dead weight northern schools.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: July 5th, 2022, 2:19 pm ACC had 3 teams in the Elite 8. ACC is and has been, the best basketball conference in the NCAA.
You do realize that none of that has a significant impact on the decisions being made right now. I believe most hoops heads would suggest that distinction has belonged to the Big XII for several years now. And that isn't exactly doing them much good right now, is it?

If this shakes out the way the B1G & SEC want it to land, there will be no need for a breakaway. You essentially will have two conferences playing for a football national championship. P5, P4 or whatever will become P2. They also will chew up 80% of media revenue. The scraps leftover in ACC, Big XII & Pac-12 will be relegated to chasing two slots in a 16- or 20-team tournament. The bowl system will take the rest or a second tournament of also rans similar to FCS will be instituted. Think AL & NL in MLB with a consolation tournament.
Cider Jim, Baybird, ATrain liked this
By cruzan_flame13
TH Spangler wrote: July 6th, 2022, 2:59 pm If the ACC got raided and needed to add a G5 team. Which G5s have the largest budgets. I guess tv market and budget would be biggest factors.
Sounds like Temple, Charlotte and possibly East Carolina would be the first they'd call. Memphis and SMU could get a call to if the ACC wanted to expand west. I'm sure some folks will want to point out academia, but we can see, money has most of the talking when it comes with the realignment. Of course this may happen if Clemson,FSU, Miami and even GT (rival for Georgia /academic standards) is taken and become SEC. Just a thought.

P.S. Imagine if the ACC becomes Mid Alantic type conference with mostly Virginia and North Carolina schools? The market is not the greatest but definitely not the worst.
By Ill flame
I don't see budget being a major factor compared to market size. I see schools like rice that don't care about sports move up to the AAC based on a promise that they will start spending more while schools that actually care but is in a smaller market gets passed over. It seems like the sunbelt has proven that adding schools that actually care about winning over schools that exist in a large market but don't care works. I assume whatever P5 that gets desperate enough to add a G5 will probably ignore that case study and follow the C-usa model with detrimental results.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: July 6th, 2022, 2:59 pm If the ACC got raided and needed to add a G5 team. Which G5s have the largest budgets. I guess tv market and budget would be biggest factors.
WVU would take an ACC invite I’m sure
TH Spangler, LUOrange liked this
By cruzan_flame13
Purple Haize wrote: July 6th, 2022, 5:26 pm
WVU would take an ACC invite I’m sure
Really? Even with this expansion? You think ACC is still better? Or are you referring to geographical benefits? Then I can agree with that :lol: .
NCAA Realignment Megathread

At what point in history was the ACC ever any bett[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

With all due respect, Atrain was in Dallas in his […]

LaTech

I also keep tab with JMU because there is a player[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]