If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote: June 13th, 2023, 7:33 pm One other thing we didn't take into consideration: We sued and they caved.
That’s a HUGE reason.
By LUOrange
I don't think we ever sued. It was probably heavily implied that would or could, or maybe it was threatened. We certainly had built a strong possible religious discrimination suit, but I don't remember a lawsuit ever being reported on.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote: June 13th, 2023, 11:12 pm I don't think we ever sued. It was probably heavily implied that would or could, or maybe it was threatened. We certainly had built a strong possible religious discrimination suit, but I don't remember a lawsuit ever being reported on.
LU did not sue. They threatened to sue. Quite vocally
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
In retrospect, we were an easy exemption for them considering the other massive issues that were barreling down upon them at the time.

As for USF, the on-campus stadium is HIGHLY unlikely to come to pass. But USF is trying to gain as much attention from the Big XII as possible right now. The AAU status is however very significant for them.
By LU 57
Purple Haize wrote: June 13th, 2023, 1:59 pm
ATrain wrote: June 13th, 2023, 1:26 pm I believe the great and powerful Potentate of the Dark Side aka Purple Haize believed, like many of us, we should have some success at the FCS level before making the jump to FBS. Fortunately the football program defied our expectations and has done well so far.

As far as realignment, the athletics department should start a campaign. "P5 Ready," should do it :P :wink:
LU also changed course and spent an inordinate amount of money on the FB program and the Athletic Department as a whole. Back then did anyone think LU would pony up $4 million for a football coach? Let alone the increase in facilities etc. Unprecedented in LU history
Now if the fan base would start behaving like FBS fans and the concession and apparel people would start acting like it as well things could work out :wink:
The ridiculous lines for overcooked Bubba burgers are definitely not P5 ready.
By Ill flame
It's nice to see some concrete news from serious reporters again. Clearly there is no offer on the table yet but SDSU wouldn't do this if one wasn't imminent. I think MWC should just remove Hawaii and roll with 10 teams for awhile.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
SD State tried to pretend the letter was just an idea they were tossing around and not a formal exit announcement. I mean, it was just an idea. :lol:
ESPN.com wrote:The Mountain West responded, informing the school in a letter Wednesday that the conference had accepted the letter of withdrawal and that the consequences of the move had begun. Those include that de la Torre's seat on the MW board of directors is being pulled and that under league policies, its financial obligation tied to withdrawal will be withheld.

That prompted another communication from San Diego State to clarify that the June 13 letter was not an official resignation, just a request for an extension. It also asked that no payments be withheld. Mountain West schools are expecting a check for nearly $6 million in the upcoming weeks.
Click Here for Full Story

Oops. They made their bed and now they have to lie in it. Of course, this means they won't have to be $34M in exit fees to leave the MWC. It will be just around $16M. And as noted in the story, MWC Commish Gloria Narvaez wants the money now.

Is it crazy talk to possibly have SDSU join CUSA for a year or two while awaiting a Pac-12 or Big XII invitation? It would be easier for them than to try and schedule as an Indy on short notice.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: June 16th, 2023, 5:31 pm SD State tried to pretend the letter was just an idea they were tossing around and not a formal exit announcement. I mean, it was just an idea. :lol:
ESPN.com wrote:The Mountain West responded, informing the school in a letter Wednesday that the conference had accepted the letter of withdrawal and that the consequences of the move had begun. Those include that de la Torre's seat on the MW board of directors is being pulled and that under league policies, its financial obligation tied to withdrawal will be withheld.

That prompted another communication from San Diego State to clarify that the June 13 letter was not an official resignation, just a request for an extension. It also asked that no payments be withheld. Mountain West schools are expecting a check for nearly $6 million in the upcoming weeks.

Oops. They made their bed and now they have to lie in it. Of course, this means they won't have to be $34M in exit fees to leave the MWC. It will be just around $16M. And as noted in the story, MWC Commish Gloria Narvaez wants the money now.

Is it crazy talk to possibly have SDSU join CUSA for a year or two while awaiting a Pac-12 or Big XII invitation? It would be easier for them than to try and schedule as an Indy on short notice.
Road Trip!
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: June 16th, 2023, 6:28 pm
Sly Fox wrote: June 16th, 2023, 5:31 pm SD State tried to pretend the letter was just an idea they were tossing around and not a formal exit announcement. I mean, it was just an idea. :lol:

Road Trip!
Yeah, I'm gonna be flying for that one, with a complimentary upgrade to first class on Delta
By LUOrange
They'd make CUSA more interesting with a 3 way fight for football, and we know they have a really good softball team so one member of this board should be happy about that. :D

But I don't think this will be a problem for SDSU as they know where they're going now. The "offer" is just a technicality.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
So the question is: will the Mountain West do anything if/when SDSU leaves?
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Next round I'd like see the AAC pick up Air Force, Boise, Army, and Liberty.

EAST - Florida Atlantic, Charlotte, USF, East Carolina, Navy, Temple, Liberty, Army
WEST - UTSA, Rice, North Texas, Air Force, Boise, Tulane, UAB, WKU
LUOrange liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Just for fun I plugged the above lineup into ChatGPT :lol: Here's its take.
The AAC East division includes eight teams: Florida Atlantic, Charlotte, USF, East Carolina, Navy, Temple, Liberty, and Army. These teams are located in the states of Florida, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, and New York. The AAC East division is known for its competitive football teams, such as Navy, which has won the Commander-in-Chief's Trophy 11 times, and Temple, which has won two conference championships.

The AAC West division includes eight teams: UTSA, Rice, North Texas, Air Force, Boise State, Tulane, UAB, and WKU. These teams are located in the states of Texas, Colorado, Idaho, Louisiana, Alabama, and Kentucky. The AAC West division is known for its high-scoring offenses and explosive players, such as Boise State's quarterback Hank Bachmeier and UTSA's running back Sincere McCormick.

The AAC holds an annual championship game between the winners of the East and West divisions. The winner of the championship game earns a spot in one of the New Year's Six bowl games, which are the most prestigious postseason games in college football. The AAC has had four teams play in the New Year's Six bowls since 2014: UCF (2014 and 2018), Houston (2015), Memphis (2019), and Cincinnati (2020).
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
I'm hearing Delaware is ready to move to FBS. Unannounced yet, but a new $80M indoor practice facility coming.
According to an article (paywalled) published today by the Delaware News Journal's Kevin Tresolini, Delaware is planning construction of an $85 million athletic facility and indoor practice field, potentially including a stadium expansion. Delaware also just spent $60 million building a separate athletic center and renovating the stadium. According to sources who have been briefed on the subject, it signals a likely move up to FBS.
By BlueBlood
If Delaware goes FBS, do you think they will change their helmet? I think it's one thing to sport the Michigan helmet when you are in a different division - but if you are playing in the same division, is it time for a change? (Yes, I realize they have used it for 70 years - but UD has never denied that they straight-up copied the UM helmet)

I think it's a quirky little story as an FCS - but if I were UD, I'd probably modify it a bit upon entry to FBS. Maybe reverse the colors?
By cruzan_flame13
BlueBlood wrote: June 22nd, 2023, 1:38 pm If Delaware goes FBS, do you think they will change their helmet? I think it's one thing to sport the Michigan helmet when you are in a different division - but if you are playing in the same division, is it time for a change? (Yes, I realize they have used it for 70 years - but UD has never denied that they straight-up copied the UM helmet)

I think it's a quirky little story as an FCS - but if I were UD, I'd probably modify it a bit upon entry to FBS. Maybe reverse the colors?
It's a different kind of blue though, so it should not be an issue.
By BlueBlood
The MAC should want them. The MAC is viewed by many as "stable", but in the G5 world, that can also mean "stagnant". Many of their teams joined in the 40s and have been there ever since. It's the G5 Hotel California.

Adding Delaware and maybe UMass (and having Buffalo already there) might invigorate the MAC a bit and help shed the perception that its a stale OH/MI conference.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be be[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]