If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By LU 57
Good points 20Something. I would be completely onboard with a move to the AAC, but I do not think they would take us unfortunately.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
AAC would be the 4th best "landing spot" for Liberty, after ACC, SEC and Big 12. I still like Big 12, based on our geographical location, i.e. close enough to Morgantown to give WV somewhat of a regional rival. Plus allowing Big 12 to expand to east coast.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Honestly, I think we are nowhere near ready to be making machinations toward a P5 conference. We have outstanding facilities, that cannot be debated, but I don't think that pushing for the ACC, SEC or Big 12 would be in our best interest until we are able to establish something that we have lacked over the years and that is consistent on-field success across all sports, not just the "big 3" (and we haven't even established any sort of consistency in those). If we can start getting that and becoming a player at the mid-major level, then I could foresee us making a move to one of the power conferences, but that would be years down the road (and maybe a couple coaches too) at best IMO
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: July 19th, 2019, 1:52 pm I still like Big 12, based on our geographical location, i.e. close enough to Morgantown to give WV somewhat of a regional rival. Plus allowing Big 12 to expand to east coast.
With all due respect, Ballcoach, the Big 12 was not a good choice for WVU, and it would be a worse choice for LU. :nono
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
When Louisville joined the ACC, that proved anything is possible within NCAA, when it comes to joining a conference.

(or even Longwood joining Big South)
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: July 19th, 2019, 3:39 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: July 19th, 2019, 1:52 pm I still like Big 12, based on our geographical location, i.e. close enough to Morgantown to give WV somewhat of a regional rival. Plus allowing Big 12 to expand to east coast.
With all due respect, Ballcoach, the Big 12 was not a good choice for WVU, and it would be a worse choice for LU. :nono
Yeah the Mountaineer faithful are still scratching their heads over that move
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
WV probably had the vision to see that former Big East conference was sinking as a football conference. I remember people saying Big East should not be part of BCS back then.

Then ACC invited several of BE teams into ACC, thus weakening ACC football.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: July 20th, 2019, 5:26 am WV probably had the vision to see that former Big East conference was sinking as a football conference. I remember people saying Big East should not be part of BCS back then.

So you're saying Virginia Tech and Miami weakened the ACC in football???
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote: July 20th, 2019, 11:28 am
ballcoach15 wrote: July 20th, 2019, 5:26 am WV probably had the vision to see that former Big East conference was sinking as a football conference. I remember people saying Big East should not be part of BCS back then.

VT and Miami left before the ACC raided the Big East. Actually VT strengthened ACC. I believe VT won ACC championship their first season. I do know VT has more ACC championships in football than UVA, and UVA had about a 50 year head start.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: July 20th, 2019, 6:55 pm
ATrain wrote: July 20th, 2019, 11:28 am

VT and Miami left before the ACC raided the Big East. Actually VT strengthened ACC. I believe VT won ACC championship their first season. I do know VT has more ACC championships in football than UVA, and UVA had about a 50 year head start.
VT, Miami and Boston College were taken in the first raid on the Big East. Pitt, Syracuse, and Louisville in the second raid...
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: July 20th, 2019, 6:55 pm VT has more ACC championships in football than UVA, and UVA had about a 50 year head start.
Tech recruits athletes :fbplayer ; UVa recruits STUDENT athletes. Study :football
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: July 20th, 2019, 11:22 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: July 20th, 2019, 6:55 pm VT has more ACC championships in football than UVA, and UVA had about a 50 year head start.
Tech recruits athletes :fbplayer ; UVa recruits STUDENT athletes. Study :football
Check academic reports on football players, I believe VT has higher numbers than UVA.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: July 21st, 2019, 3:47 pm
Cider Jim wrote: July 20th, 2019, 11:22 pm
Check academic reports on football players, I believe VT has higher numbers than UVA.
Why don’t you provide them? Seriously at some point if you want any credibility you’re gonna need to provide sources
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Ballcoach, what do you mean by "higher numbers"? Is that graduation rates? GPA? Or what?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: July 22nd, 2019, 1:09 am Ballcoach, what do you mean by "higher numbers"? Is that graduation rates? GPA? Or what?
Well if you’d quit doing his work for him he’d be able to provide an answer. Ha
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
WVU knew the Big East was an experiment doomed to fail, and was looking for a solution for a decade before finally making a move. If Oliver Luck had not ushered them into the Big XII with his connections, they’d be in a G5 or an independent in football right now.

Sure ACC, SEC or (maybe) Big XII would be a nice landing spot for Liberty from Liberty’s perspective. But they don’t want us. (Yet?) I can want to dance with the hottest girl at the party all I want, but if she doesn’t say yes because I’m poor I’m not getting that dance!

I said YEARS AGO AAC was best spot for us. Carr’s organization told us that when they delivered their report. Now I’m with Tyndal: go AAC in everything but football, and stay Indy in football for awhile. I just hate we don’t have more bowl tie-in’s. But I’ll worry more about that when we’re eligible for one.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: July 22nd, 2019, 7:38 am I can want to dance with the hottest girl at the party all I want, but if she doesn’t say yes because I’m poor I’m not getting that dance!
Yea, but with us it would be, "I can want to dance with the hottest girl at the party all I want, but if she doesn’t say yes because I’m "RICH" I’m not getting that dance! ... Or am I?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
So you’re saying we should pay that girl money? Isn’t that a crime Especially if your name is John?
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
And you guys are thinking it’s just about money in our bank. It’s not!

How does Liberty increase the per-member annual payout across total membership of a conference?

Think of it like this: Liberty pays $25M to get into a conference, because we’ve got the money. And that fee is divided by the other member institutions. Great! Now what? Liberty takes a piece of the pie, but how do they help grow the actual pie itself so everyone's not just getting a smaller piece now?

We can’t keep paying the conference to make the pie big enough to financially justify our existence in the league. JJ knows that’s just bad business, and it keeps us on lesser footing than our peers indefinitely. No thank you.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Hopefully we are not losing out on Bond. I would s[…]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]