If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Changes coming, good read.
"We're going to lose institutions," Notre Dame AD Jack Swarbrick predicted. "We're going to have a number of member institutions who won't be involved in college education in 3-4 years."

The crisis has further revealed how athletic departments live paycheck to paycheck. Because they are mostly nonprofits, in theory, they have to spend every penny they bring in.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ts-future/
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote: August 14th, 2020, 2:31 pm Coastal? Really?

https://www.si.com/college/oklahoma/foo ... -look-like
His plan also seems to totally disregard men’s basketball. Or other sports for that matter. But thinking Syracuse, Pitt and BC will take a step back in MBB just to FB can be a little more competitive ... I don’t think so.
ballcoach15, Ill flame liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Bringing back the megathread for potential ASUN expansion, and the domino effect that it'll cause
ballcoach15 liked this
By Class of 20Something
I mulled over making a seperate thread for this but decided this thread for best.

We were mulling over how to fix the CFP today. Most folks can see the problem and have a ton of different ideas for a solution, but this solution would solve the CFP problem without changing the playoff.

Fans of soccer should be familiar with the idea.

Promotion Relegation or pro/rel for short.
For the sake of concept, these conferences allign in all sports for super conferences, but pro/rel would only apply to football.
Imagine the following allignment.

SEC/SBC
ACC/American
B1G/MAC
Pac12/MW
BigXII/CUSA

The P5s would relegate their worst team while the G5 would promote their champion.

This year's result would see

SEC/SBC - Coastal Carolina promotes. Vanderbilt relegates
ACC/American - Cincinnati promotes. Syracuse relegates.
B1G/MAC - Ball State promotes. Illinois relegates.
Pac12/MW - San Jose State promotes. Arizona relegates.
BigXII/CUSA - UAB promotes. Kansas relegates.

In theory, this increases conference parity, makes recruiting more competitive, and reduces the chances of coaches of good G5 schools bolting when there is a mechanism to become P5 in their current position.

Every team except for independents are at most two years from competing in the CFP.

Independents would immediately fight for a home.

Projecting their success in 2021

SEC/SBC -
Coastal Carolina relegates after getting trounced.
Vanderbilt stays in the SBC. Louisiana or App St make their move up.

ACC/American -
Cincinnati stays and Duke relegates.
Syracuse stays in the American for a few years; UCF is back.

B1G/MAC -
Ball State can't compete and relegates.
Illinois stays down while Buffalo makes the jump.

Pac12/MW -
San Jose State struggles and relegates.
Arizona stays another year. Boise St wins the MW.

BigXII/CUSA -
UAB is a speed bump and relegates.
Kansas on the other hand is in an extra competitive year in the CUSA, Marshall, WKU, and UNT finish ahead of the Jayhawks.

Tell me what you guys think of the idea and the what ifs.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I’ve always been a huge fan of the Promotion/Relegation system
By BlueBlood
I don’t like Promotion/Relegation for CFB

Just give me an 8 team playoff with 5 P5 winners, the top ranked non-P5 and 2 at larges.

I guess ND would have to count towards the 2 at larges instead of non-P5. Needs some work figuring that out.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I love the idea @Class of 20Something but of course it isn't realistic because P5 schools will just never sign off on it. But if the idea is to really make FBS football more exciting and go encourage a bit more parity, then this would be the way to go. That isn't what college athletics is all about. Especially at the highest level.

But this would be so exciting every year to see who would get promoted and who would get regulated. All of s sudden people care who wins each G5 conference and which teams suck in each P5 conference. Would be fantastic for the sport or college football in my opinion.

But these are radical ideas. No place for that in college football!! :lol:
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Competitive levels are dictated by budget. A promoted team would have to significantly increase budget to maintain, and a relegated program would instantly be overfunded at their new level. On that basis, such a system makes no sense to me for CFB.
By tyndal23
JK37 wrote: December 20th, 2020, 11:43 pm Competitive levels are dictated by budget. A promoted team would have to significantly increase budget to maintain, and a relegated program would instantly be overfunded at their new level. On that basis, such a system makes no sense to me for CFB.
Not a fan of the system but to fix your problem, tv payouts are paid out end of year and piece of the pie goes to new team coming in and not to losing team going out - team going down/out gets a transfer rule so the players don’t have to go down with sinking ship...should be done on a multi year basis not annually.
By Ill flame
Promotion/Relegation is fun to think about but it still wouldn't solve the post season issue. The smallest the playoff should be is 8 teams so that we have enough space for all 5 P5 conferences, a G5 team and a couple at larges so that everyone would have a path toward a championship.

In the long term I think it should be at least 16 teams. Each conference champion gets an auto bid and the rest are at large teams. Obviously the same 3 or 4 teams would dominate like we see at the fcs level but at least every team would have a clear path and it would make for good underdog stories. I think we would see some recruits be more willing to go to top G5 teams knowing they would have a legit chance at championships against the blue bloods.

I also think they should cap the number of teams in a conference at 10 so everyone can play a round robin and get rid of conference championship games.
TH Spangler liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: December 21st, 2020, 1:28 am

I also think they should cap the number of teams in a conference at 10 so everyone can play a round robin and get rid of conference championship games.
Conference championship games are one of worst ideas ever invented.

Sports leadership in this country is truly lacking. There are some good athletic directors at individual schools, but beyond that, there's a problem.
Worst thing to happen to football was creation of Power 5. Every school in D1 should be treated the same, regardless of size or $$$$$.
NCAA and conference leaders make Congress look good.

Army went 9-2 and got snubbed for a bowl because of the 2,3, 4 and etc. win teams filling the bowls. And I believe a couple bowls got canceled yesterday, because they claimed they couldn't find 2 teams to play.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: December 21st, 2020, 7:19 am

Sports leadership in this country is truly lacking. There are some good athletic directors at individual schools, but beyond that, there's a problem.
Worst thing to happen to football was creation of Power 5. Every school in D1 should be treated the same, regardless of size or $$$$$.

Army went 9-2 and got snubbed for a bowl because of the 2,3, 4 and etc. win teams filling the bowls. And I believe a couple bowls got canceled yesterday, because they claimed they couldn't find 2 teams to play.
If it makes you feel any better you would be a horrible college AD
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
One of the problems with athletics today is, at one point in time, there were some bad professors teaching Sports Management in colleges.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: December 21st, 2020, 10:12 am One of the problems with athletics today is, at one point in time, there were some bad professors teaching Sports Management in colleges.
If they were teaching Sports Management they certainly were awful.
thepostman liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: December 21st, 2020, 7:19 am

I agree on one thing. Army should be in a bowl game. You conveniently neglected to mention the name of the conference those losing teams that will be bowling while the cadets sit play in.

As far as your position about all teams being treated equal is concerned, why stop at FBS? The disparity between Elite P5 teams and garden variety G5 teams is at least as big as between G5 and FCS. The difference is that FCS has a championship to play for and G5 doesn't, and IMHO that needs to be looked at.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Seems to me all the losing record teams are from the SEC.

ARMY should be in a bowl. Is there a limit on how many bowls a team can play in each year? If any year there could be an exception, this is it. We play the 26th, let’s reschedule the Independence Bowl and play the Black Knights on January 2!
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: December 21st, 2020, 11:37 am Seems to me all the losing record teams are from the SEC.

ARMY should be in a bowl. Is there a limit on how many bowls a team can play in each year? If any year there could be an exception, this is it. We play the 26th, let’s reschedule the Independence Bowl and play the Black Knights on January 2!
:idea: Genius.

I won't be holding my breath.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I didn’t realize Army was left out of Bowling. They have as good if not better case than LU does
ballcoach15 liked this
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
I also like the idea of promotion / relegation. The idea that we need to expand playoffs is a joke. Cincinnati, Coastal, etc. don’t deserve to be in. Someone asked “what’s the point of being FBS if you can’t get into the playoffs?” The answer is the “B” in FBS.

I do have another idea though, which is not fully original with me. Suggestion: each team has two open dates on their calendar. One to begin the season, one towards the end. A committee (tbd) pairs teams up to play. The first matchup would be known at the beginning of the season. The second game would be arranged mid season. The first game would be trying to pair up teams based on projected team strength. The second game would be based on what happens during the season. Teams like Liberty won’t get opportunities to play good teams often. In a season like this, teams like Liberty, Cincinnati, and Coastal would get a shot at playing better teams.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 6:00 am Adding a game at the end of the season ... just seems like the same thing expanding the playoffs would do.
I’m not advocating “adding a game to the season.” I’m advocating that ONE “spot” in everyone’s schedule in the last third of the season be left open for a committee to slot.

Football ≠ all other sports. I’d be ok with the conference structure being broken down and reconfigured for football. To have relegation / promotion you would have to do so.

Football ≠ Basketball. Most teams don’t take football as seriously as the Alabama’s, Clemsons, etc. Furthermore, they don’t make money either. Alabama’s strength and conditioning coaches make more money than most head coaches. As the saying goes, “on any given Saturday” upsets can occur, but if anyone believes that coastal, Cincinnati, or Liberty (currently) could consistently knock off and compete with the big boys they are delusional.

Having two games a year open for scheduling would allow teams like liberty a chance to play the big boys each year... if we are good enough. If success can be maintained, it would offer an opportunity to be promoted.

FSU went from the minors to the majors, but not many other teams have been able to do so. Where is Boise State now?
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Ok, a slot held open for a committee to decide in a given year that the G5 on an upswing that year gets a shot at a big boy that year. How is that not what the opening round of an expanded playoff would also do?
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]