If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By cruzan_flame13
ALAFlamesFan wrote: February 19th, 2024, 2:10 pm https://sports.yahoo.com/as-college-foo ... 58685.html

So how do we keep "rising"? Loved Coach Chadwell calling out exactly what LSU offered CJ. Hate the idea of a G5 playoff. We could have stayed in FCS for that but things are changing fast and we are in a better position than many.
The discussion of the NIL involves school paying their athletes. So what will LU do when, not if, that comes into fruition? As stated before, LU should established a trust fund intertwine in the Flames Rising system that already exist. That is to ensure athletes that they will received what was promised, and can even receive bonuses based on their achievements every season. That being said, there should be financial advisors to those who would like them for personal purposes. When is it too much when it comes to the future of realignment and the "mission" of the school?
By AATL
ALAFlamesFan wrote:https://sports.yahoo.com/as-college-foo ... 58685.html

So how do we keep "rising"? Loved Coach Chadwell calling out exactly what LSU offered CJ. Hate the idea of a G5 playoff. We could have stayed in FCS for that but things are changing fast and we are in a better position than many.
Excellent article. Props to HCJC for talking about specific numbers and names; not many coaches have been.

I don't mind the idea of a G5 playoff; I love the competitiveness of the G5 rivalries. I think I'd rather see some form of a scheduling alliance between CUSA and the AAC or SBC, though. I'd be in favor of moving the conference schedule up a week or ditching the conference championship game altogether to facilitate a year-end matchup between the top CUSA team and top AAC or SBC team.

More often than not, Liberty (hopefully) will be directly competing with the AAC or SBC champ for the CFP slot. A game would settle that ranking on the field (rather than in the committee room) and give the winner a nice resumé boost in competing with the remaining G5 champs. I suppose you could accomplish the same thing via a four-team playoffs, but two games will make the logistics all the more challenging.
By Ill flame
Personally i like the idea of scrapping conference championship games and having the top 4 G5 conference champions play that week with the winners playing the following week immediately after the army-navy game in a G5 championship game. It would do huge ratings, bring in a lot of money to the G5 conferences and the winner will have a lot of extra hype and media attention heading into the CFP. Selfishly I'm on board with almost any plan that results in more meaningful football to watch.

Losing players as soon as they have a breakout season is very frustrating but fortunately every school in the country is dealing with the same issue. As the article said, even Bama lost three of their best players. As long as we are recruiting/ retaining both player and coaching talent more than the teams on our schedule we will continue to rise. Everything else is just noise.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: February 19th, 2024, 11:33 pm Personally i like the idea of scrapping conference championship games and having the top 4 G5 conference champions play that week with the winners playing the following week immediately after the army-navy game in a G5 championship game. It would do huge ratings, bring in a lot of money to the G5 conferences and the winner will have a lot of extra hype and media attention heading into the CFP. Selfishly I'm on board with almost any plan that results in more meaningful football to watch.
I guess it depends what you mean by “huge”, but I’m not convinced the ratings would be huge.
flamehunter liked this
By Ill flame
JK37 wrote: February 20th, 2024, 12:08 am
Ill flame wrote: February 19th, 2024, 11:33 pm Personally i like the idea of scrapping conference championship games and having the top 4 G5 conference champions play that week with the winners playing the following week immediately after the army-navy game in a G5 championship game. It would do huge ratings, bring in a lot of money to the G5 conferences and the winner will have a lot of extra hype and media attention heading into the CFP. Selfishly I'm on board with almost any plan that results in more meaningful football to watch.
I guess it depends what you mean by “huge”, but I’m not convinced the ratings would be huge.
Army-navy game had 7 million viewers this year in part because they were the only game. An FCS playoff game was that week and had 1.85 million which was more than all of the G5 conference championship games except the AAC championship which had 1.88 million. If you put a G5 championship that week in the night slot after the army-navy game I think it would get at least 3 million viewers, probably more if its on a broadcast channel. For context our cure bowl matchup against coastal carolina got 2.6 million viewers and was the most watched G5 bowl matchup since 2017 while our fiesta bowl game got 4 million viewers.
By Ill flame

This is significant news. I'm curious if this affects our future games with them and if anyone else is going to the MAC with them. Considering our games with them take place in November each year which is right in the middle of MACtion, I assume we will be one of the first teams to come off their schedule. I'm just glad they aren't coming to CUSA.
Last edited by Ill flame on February 26th, 2024, 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ATrain, LUOrange liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
I am also glad that UMass isn't coming to CUSA. I heard the A10 will replace them with College of Charleston.
By LUOrange
May be obvious that MO State and Tarley are on deck and in the hole. But if this true, I'd rather CUSA stand fast until we after the coming blow-ups with PAC2 and the ACC.

By rtb72
Ill flame wrote: February 26th, 2024, 4:03 pm

This is significant news. I'm curious if this affects our future games with them and if anyone else is going to the MAC with them. Considering our games with them take place in November each year which is right in the middle of MACtion, I assume we will be one of the first teams to come off their schedule. I'm just glad they aren't coming to CUSA.
I hope so. Good riddance!
ATrain liked this
By Ill flame
LUOrange wrote: February 26th, 2024, 5:19 pm May be obvious that MO State and Tarley are on deck and in the hole. But if this true, I'd rather CUSA stand fast until we after the coming blow-ups with PAC2 and the ACC.

This would hurt CUSA for sure if they left
By LUOrange
I don't think WKU's leaving. IMO, it makes no sense. Besides, if I'm a G5 President or AD, I would not make any lateral conference moves (which the MAC is at best) until after the PAC2 makes their moves and the ACC crumbles. The only reason for WKU to move now to the MAC would be if they know for a fact that they're getting left behind once the next major round of realignment's dust settles. The MAC does offer stability if they don't mind being stagnant in obscurity.

I am hoping that we can get out of the 3 remaining games vs. UMass and add some P4 and/or Pac2 games along with what Manson posted in the Rumor Mill today.
Baybird liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Clemson is now suing the ACC in South Carolina.
FSU is suing the ACC in Florida.
The ACC is suing FSU in North Carolina.
By Ill flame
The idea that SMU is paying a lot of money to end up in a conference likely consisting of syracuse, wake forest, Duke, Boston College and a bunch of backfill cracks me up. I'm assuming Stanford and cal will back out of the ACC at that point.
LUOrange liked this
By tyndal23
Ill flame wrote: March 21st, 2024, 12:02 pm The idea that SMU is paying a lot of money to end up in a conference likely consisting of syracuse, wake forest, Duke, Boston College and a bunch of backfill cracks me up. I'm assuming Stanford and cal will back out of the ACC at that point.
So In that scenario - does ACC get a guaranteed 2 and G5 1 or more likely 1 each ( ND has to have an opening) In that instance it would be 15 Guaranteed Conference Slots plus highest ranked remaining team. Or does ND agree to 6 game Big 10 schedule and a slot for 1 of the 3 spots ( but not eligible for Conference Title) ...Interesting.
By LUOrange
Ill flame wrote: March 21st, 2024, 12:02 pm The idea that SMU is paying a lot of money to end up in a conference likely consisting of syracuse, wake forest, Duke, Boston College and a bunch of backfill cracks me up. I'm assuming Stanford and cal will back out of the ACC at that point.
Where would they go? back to the PAC2 and picking off the best of the MWC and western AAC (which they should've done to begin with)? I think most likely, the PAC2 joins them in the ACC along with UConn and possibly Memphis. It'd still be mid-tiered "Power conference" with very good MBB but so so football. May be a good opportunity for us, but our academics vs. most of the schools would hurt us.
By tyndal23
LUOrange wrote: March 21st, 2024, 1:53 pm
Where would they go? back to the PAC2 and picking off the best of the MWC and western AAC (which they should've done to begin with)? I think most likely, the PAC2 joins them in the ACC along with UConn and possibly Memphis. It'd still be mid-tiered "Power conference" with very good MBB but so so football. May be a good opportunity for us, but our academics vs. most of the schools would hurt us.
PAC 2 doesn’t have a tv deal - even though travel makes sense - doubt they get close enough $ compared to even a watered down ACC ( which will at least get big exit fees if 4 leave ). So I see Cal & Stanford staying in ACC also. BUT IF - PAC 2 can retain Autonomous Status by consolidating enough teams and force CFP to guaranty them a spot, and watered down ACC retain a spot, plus G5 - where would that leave ND ? Big 12 would have to dump 1 spot OR ND get Big 10 3rd spot ( if they did a similar scheduling deal in Big 10 like they have ACC). Things getting real complicated - so I expect Big and SEC to just walk, create a new league, and do their own thing - giving them cover to drop Vanderbilt, MIss St., NW, Indiana,MD, Rutgers and leave the rest of us playing G5 level ball. Key would be if Clemson / FSU can void GOR - that leaves a flip side that so can Networks and Conferences - making way for a non NCAA “new league”. And once again, I point out very much like a LIV deal - an outside entity “ inviting select teams” and not whole conferences.
By cruzan_flame13
LU can always pay to increase the school's academic rankings like many schools have and still do these days :lol:
LUOrange liked this
By LUOrange
cruzan_flame13 wrote: March 21st, 2024, 3:14 pm
LU can always pay to increase the school's academic rankings like many schools have and still do these days :lol:
Kinds like buying into the B12 or declaring ourselves P5 equivalent as some have suggested? :D :twisted: Play Basketball :twisted:
cruzan_flame13 liked this
By LUOrange
Greg Swaim is already predicting that that the SEC, B1G, and B12 are going to around or over 29 each with the Irish joining the B1G. Also if the Superconferences break off, will it be at 64 or 72? Either way the question is how much of the ACC will the big 3 poach? In either scen,current tv deals won't matter, and I see the P5 scrubs uniting to seize the middle ground betwthe big 3 and the G5. I think Liberty needs to be negotiating to get into that middle ground.
By cruzan_flame13
LUOrange wrote: March 21st, 2024, 5:02 pm
cruzan_flame13 wrote: March 21st, 2024, 3:14 pm

Kinds like buying into the B12 or declaring ourselves P5 equivalent as some have suggested? :D :twisted: Play Basketball :twisted:
It would be way easier to do so by what I've mentioned haha.
LUOrange liked this
By AATL
Perhaps not directly realignment, but it further underscores the theme of all the power consolidating at the top. From Tom Izzo (ever the charmer...) discussing March Madness:

Link: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... -analytics
That confluence of events also underscored Izzo's concerns that too many small schools could steal bids from better teams in power leagues.

SEC commissioner Greg Sankey has been among the influential voices suggesting the NCAA tournament should end the practice of awarding automatic bids to each conference champion -- typically determined by the winner of the league's conference tournament -- in favor of more selections by the committee.

Izzo, who played in college at Division II Northern Michigan, said he has always been a fan of "the little guys" but that from a business perspective, squeezing out big-name programs like Michigan State presents problems. Izzo, whose teams have made 26 consecutive NCAA tournaments, noted that 20 of the 32 Division I conferences had a team that wasn't the regular-season champion win the league tournament.

"What's happening now, everybody likes the upsets on the first weekend, but I'm not sure moving on that's what's best for the game," Izzo said. "I think it's got to be looked at seriously."
LUOrange liked this
Election 2022 and 2024

Then he went on to win 49 out of 50 states.

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]