If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote: June 30th, 2022, 7:36 pm ACC, Big 12, and PAC-12 will be irrelevant sooner or later. There'll be two Super Conferences, the SEC and the Big 10, and then everyone else. Stanford, Cal Berkeley, Washington, Oregon, UNC, UVA, Duke, Utah, Boston College, Notre Dame, and UConn will all end up in the Big 10, and VA Tech, WVU, Pittsburgh, Clemson, Miami, Florida State, NC State, Oklahoma State, Houston, Boise State, and BYU will end up in the SEC.

The leftovers plus some of the strongest G5 schools try to make a third super conference, but it will fail to get many wins on the field and lag far behind the other two in TV contracts.
Boise St and BYU to the SEC is music to ballcoach’s ears. He loves wacky conference alignment like that.
By Ill flame
LUOrange wrote: June 30th, 2022, 7:19 pm But does the B10 stop with just those 2 schools in LA? Would they want to bridge that 1500 mile stretch in between Lincoln and LA some? Of course, that means going to 18 or 20 teams. The ramifications/musical chairs for the PAC12, B12, MWC, & AAC will be entertaining. But for us, does CUSA survive? Is that where we actually land? Fun stuff.
Keep in mind that with the exception of notre dame the B1G would never allow a non AAU member into the conference (nebraska was removed after the fact). This leaves Washington, Utah, Oregon, Kansas, Colorado, Arizona and Cal as its realistic options to the west. Imo they should add Oregon and Washington to form a 4 team pod if they really are going this route.

If the B1G stops at 2 the musical chairs may end there with minor changes among the conferences. If they add more west coast Pac 12 schools I could see the top remaining schools from the Pac 12 and Big 12 essentially merge and the leftovers forming a new AAC. If that happens I imagine c-usa is dead and we will find a new home. This could be very good for us.
LUOrange, Baybird liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: June 30th, 2022, 8:06 pm
LUOrange wrote: June 30th, 2022, 7:19 pm But does the B10 stop with just those 2 schools in LA? Would they want to bridge that 1500 mile stretch in between Lincoln and LA some? Of course, that means going to 18 or 20 teams. The ramifications/musical chairs for the PAC12, B12, MWC, & AAC will be entertaining. But for us, does CUSA survive? Is that where we actually land? Fun stuff.
Keep in mind that with the exception of notre dame the B1G would never allow a non AAU member into the conference (nebraska was removed after the fact). This leaves Washington, Utah, Oregon, Kansas, Colorado, Arizona and Cal as its realistic options to the west. Imo they should add Oregon and Washington to form a 4 team pod if they really are going this route.

If the B1G stops at 2 the musical chairs may end there with minor changes among the conferences. If they add more west coast Pac 12 schools I could see the top remaining schools from the Pac 12 and Big 12 essentially merge and the leftovers forming a new AAC. If that happens I imagine c-usa is dead and we will find a new home. This could be very good for us.
Stanford is an AAU member, and the B1G Presidents would absolutely drool and fall over themselves at the prospect of being associated with them.
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:Stanford is an AAU member, and the B1G Presidents would absolutely drool and fall over themselves at the prospect of being associated with them.
If they went with Washington, Oregon, Cal, and Stanford to go with USC and UCLA, the other six would probably work out something with the Big 12. Their new commissioner sounds like an innovator and, if I were him, I'd be reaching out to the schools that might potentially get left out of a B1G expansion. Of course, he just started a day or so ago, so he probably hasn't unpacked the boxes in his office yet!
By LUOrange
McMurphy's reporting/speculating that the P5 is heading to super-conferences and not the 80's & 90's Liberty ones either, 8) 8) 8)

I suspect he's right and that this obvious. IMO, when these finally form the G4 leftovers would be wise to recalibrate along regional lines as they'd have the opportunity attract new and more fans who want natural rivalries with actual amateur college players vs essentially another pro-league.
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
The next few days are going to get interesting. There's no way the SEC is just going to sit there while the B1G is scooping up teams like chips at a poker table. I think some ACC schools will risk the financial hit of breaking the 2036 grant of rights lock to get to the SEC.

And will Notre Dame finally give in to becoming a conference member? :lol:

https://soonerswire.usatoday.com/2022/0 ... d-big-ten/
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rmiller1959 wrote: June 30th, 2022, 9:01 pm The next few days are going to get interesting. There's no way the SEC is just going to sit there while the B1G is scooping up teams like chips at a poker table. I think some ACC schools will risk the financial hit of breaking the 2036 grant of rights lock to get to the SEC.

I hate to say it but WVU would fit in the SEC profile at that point. Geography wise they make all sorts of sense for the B1G but Research Institution wise not so much
rmiller1959 liked this
By Ill flame
rmiller1959 wrote: June 30th, 2022, 9:01 pm The next few days are going to get interesting. There's no way the SEC is just going to sit there while the B1G is scooping up teams like chips at a poker table. I think some ACC schools will risk the financial hit of breaking the 2036 grant of rights lock to get to the SEC.

Did you forget who started this round of realignment? Who else is a cultural fit for the SEC that's available and moves the needle for them? I don't think any Pac 12 schools are.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: June 30th, 2022, 9:06 pm

I hate to say it but WVU would fit in the SEC profile at that point. Geography wise they make all sorts of sense for the B1G but Research Institution wise not so much
Yep, I think WVU eventually ends up in a 24 team SEC w/ VA Tech, NC State, Oklahoma State, FSU, Miami, Clemson, and either TCU, Houston, or Pittsburgh.
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: June 30th, 2022, 9:06 pm I hate to say it but WVU would fit in the SEC profile at that point. Geography wise they make all sorts of sense for the B1G but Research Institution wise not so much
As a Texas Tech alum, WVU was always a bit of an outlier in the Big 12, figuratively and literally. I think they should either go north to the B1G or south to the SEC, and this assumes the ACC is no more.
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: June 30th, 2022, 9:10 pm Did you forget who started this round of realignment? Who else is a cultural fit for the SEC that's available and moves the needle for them? I don't think any Pac 12 schools are.
Oh, you're absolutely right. They aren't looking to the PAC-12. I think the B1G will have their choice of PAC-12 schools and the rest will join the Big-12 in an attempt to stay in a P5 conference. The SEC is most certainly going to target the ACC, especially Clemson, the Florida schools, and Duke and UNC at a minimum.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
rmiller1959 wrote: June 30th, 2022, 9:34 pm
Well, they're definitely not going to put out a statement that says "We're circling the drain."
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote: June 30th, 2022, 9:37 pm
rmiller1959 wrote: June 30th, 2022, 9:34 pm
Well, they're definitely not going to put out a statement that says "We're circling the drain."
I just like how similar the statements from the losing conferences are - "whistling past the graveyard," as we used to say!
ATrain liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Rumor mill is swirling that Arizona will be applying to the Big 12 - and the Big 12 may be preparing to bring in Arizona State, Utah, and former member Colorado with it.
By tyndal23
ATrain wrote: June 30th, 2022, 9:51 pm Rumor mill is swirling that Arizona will be applying to the Big 12 - and the Big 12 may be preparing to bring in Arizona State, Utah, and former member Colorado with it.
Going to be Tough time to be a sports writer who actually writes and tries to complete a full story when Twitter rumors will change narratives every 3 minutes in the coming days...will be interesting to see how the P5 teams that get left out of the $ leagues adapt to having CUSA and SunBelt as their new peers...hopefully it is a separate “division” where LU can pursue an actual NC.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: June 30th, 2022, 11:21 pm
ATrain wrote: June 30th, 2022, 9:51 pm Rumor mill is swirling that Arizona will be applying to the Big 12 - and the Big 12 may be preparing to bring in Arizona State, Utah, and former member Colorado with it.
Going to be Tough time to be a sports writer who actually writes and tries to complete a full story when Twitter rumors will change narratives every 3 minutes in the coming days...will be interesting to see how the P5 teams that get left out of the $ leagues adapt to having CUSA and SunBelt as their new peers...hopefully it is a separate “division” where LU can pursue an actual NC.
So are we thinking P2 and then the rest? Separate NC's.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
With the events of past 2 days , I am reminded of just how weak the NCAA leadership is.
Schools jumping conferences, NIL buying recruits, baseball has over 2400 players in transfer portal, softball has 695 at last count. And JMU joining Sun Belt today.
LUOrange liked this
By Have_a_Gansett_2011
Teams like Liberty should be trying to get ahead of this type of thing and petition/sue the NCAA to form a national football-only conference in FBS. You'd have to think there would at least be interest from some schools that could get lost in the shuffle here. If ACC gets poached by SEC and we're left with 3 super conferences, Big XII/B1G/SEC, wouldn't schools like Wake Forest, Boise St., Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville, Oregon St., Wash. St., Ga. Tech, SMU, and others be interested in at least exploring the idea?
By Have_a_Gansett_2011
ATrain wrote: June 30th, 2022, 9:15 pm
Purple Haize wrote: June 30th, 2022, 9:06 pm

Yep, I think WVU eventually ends up in a 24 team SEC w/ VA Tech, NC State, Oklahoma State, FSU, Miami, Clemson, and either TCU, Houston, or Pittsburgh.

You've got to think UNC and Duke are at the top of that SEC list with Miami and Clemson. VT, FSU, OkSt, and NCSU are probably their second tier. TCU and Houston stay where they are because the XII will poach those SW Pac schools. They'll have geographic luxury over other super conferences.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]