If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Ill flame
Even if we had a 100% acceptance rate from now on it still wouldn't be enough to reach 50,000. I imagine a city of 75,000 would be pretty upset about a 35,000 student influx anyway. Housing in the area would be insane.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: December 11th, 2022, 9:05 pm No love lost anyway between City of Lynchburg and LU. Net zero.
Unless they had a satellite campus in Campbell County and built a People Mover Monorail to shuttle students back and forth ! :lol: 8)
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: December 11th, 2022, 9:30 am Was that enrollment cap from JR meant to be permanent or temporary? Considering the timing when prevo took over, we may now be seeing plans that were delayed due to covid. It's also a one off mention made to a student newspaper so I'm not sure how serious they are about that master plan. Even if they were aggressive with expansion it would take decades to reach 50,000 on campus.
I believe that would have been temporary. I know at one point pre-COVID Jr. wanted to get on-campus to 25k.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Just John wrote: December 11th, 2022, 10:09 pm
Ill flame wrote: December 11th, 2022, 9:30 am Was that enrollment cap from JR meant to be permanent or temporary? Considering the timing when prevo took over, we may now be seeing plans that were delayed due to covid. It's also a one off mention made to a student newspaper so I'm not sure how serious they are about that master plan. Even if they were aggressive with expansion it would take decades to reach 50,000 on campus.
I believe that would have been temporary. I know at one point pre-COVID Jr. wanted to get on-campus to 25k.
Cap has changed at least 100 times, along with the building plans. I know about 10 years ago Jr. wanted to cap the campus at 18K. It will change again.
ballcoach15, LUOrange liked this
By LUOrange
Purple Haize wrote: December 11th, 2022, 9:07 pm
JK37 wrote: December 11th, 2022, 9:05 pm No love lost anyway between City of Lynchburg and LU. Net zero.
Unless they had a satellite campus in Campbell County and built a People Mover Monorail to shuttle students back and forth ! :lol: 8)
I know for a fact that that was seriously considered at one point. I'm sure it was cost prohibitive though.
By LUOrange
LU does have the land to expand and build their "Libertyburg." I don't understand why they keep building on main campus when they have so much undeveloped land on the mountain and throughout the region. I can understand the location of the new Rot and superdorm, but the Falwell Center's location to me was stupid. But it will look good.

Hopefully, they're new goal of 50K also means more emphasis on education and research. However, the only tradition Liberty has is that the plans always change, even in midstream.
By rtb72
LUOrange wrote: December 15th, 2022, 12:03 pm LU does have the land to expand and build their "Libertyburg." I don't understand why they keep building on main campus when they have so much undeveloped land on the mountain and throughout the region. I can understand the location of the new Rot and superdorm, but the Falwell Center's location to me was stupid. But it will look good.

Hopefully, they're new goal of 50K also means more emphasis on education and research. However, the only tradition Liberty has is that the plans always change, even in midstream.
I hope....
LUOrange liked this
By Ill flame
LUOrange wrote: December 15th, 2022, 12:03 pm LU does have the land to expand and build their "Libertyburg." I don't understand why they keep building on main campus when they have so much undeveloped land on the mountain and throughout the region. I can understand the location of the new Rot and superdorm, but the Falwell Center's location to me was stupid. But it will look good.

I think this is just a byproduct of a relatively young university that has huge aspirations but no clue how they want to get from point A to point B. I just hope the next president puts us on a clearer path instead of it flip flopping every couple years.
LUOrange, rtb72, Baybird liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Falwell Sr. always wanted 25K on campus and another 25K distance learning. His goal was an educational system from Pre-K through doctorate (which is why I am still ticked about the cancellation of the LCA scholarship and the agreements with other area Christian schools). I am sure 50K on campus would absolutely thrill him.

That said, Wake Forest has just under 8,000, Baylor just under 21,000. Wake Forest is athletically successful and known for academic excellence. Baylor is known for scandals within its athletics department. It appears we want to be more like Baylor than Wake Forest, and I am not sure that is good a thing.
By Ill flame
With Kevin Warren out as big ten commissioner it seems likely that realignment is done for awhile. He was the main person pushing hard to expand more while several school presidents and ADs in the big ten opposed it. I've seen multiple reports that they weren't looking to renew his contract for that reason and aren't upset he's leaving. He was also allegedly looking for a massive pay raise.

With nowhere for Oregon and Washington to go for the foreseeable future it would be kind of surprising for any pac 12 schools to jump to the big 12 without waiting it out and seeing if the pac 10 is worth saving first. The biggest question mark that remains is whether or not the pac 12 expands or stays at 10 teams for awhile.
By cruzan_flame13
Ill flame wrote: January 13th, 2023, 11:06 am With Kevin Warren out as big ten commissioner it seems likely that realignment is done for awhile. He was the main person pushing hard to expand more while several school presidents and ADs in the big ten opposed it. I've seen multiple reports that they weren't looking to renew his contract for that reason and aren't upset he's leaving. He was also allegedly looking for a massive pay raise.

With nowhere for Oregon and Washington to go for the foreseeable future it would be kind of surprising for any pac 12 schools to jump to the big 12 without waiting it out and seeing if the pac 10 is worth saving first. The biggest question mark that remains is whether or not the pac 12 expands or stays at 10 teams for awhile.
I'm sure the big ten will eventually give in since the SEC and Big XII is not stopping. It seems like the PAC office is on the hope train and the hype of Sanders at CU could add a little flame in the conference. Nonetheless, the PAC commissioner would be fool to think that some AD's/programs are not in the talks with other conference. Looks like Arizona, Arizona St. and possibly CU and Utah are talking to the Big XII. The conference is now in the west with BYU, so it wouldnt be farfetched to tag the rest of the southwest since the PAC hasn't been as revelent. Yes Oregon has been a somewhat top10-15 team and USC is USC. Is that as relevant now though? Furthermore, the Big ten isn't over because they haven't had a national championship in so long and money is not all they're focused on. There's a reason why everyone, love it or hate it, is focused on the SEC. To be honest, the big ten doesn't even really have an advantage over the SEC in basketball anymore. It aint over :lol:
By Ill flame
It's only a matter of time before the big ten expands again but expanding now doesn't do much good considering the new TV deal is done. Colorado has no desire to move to the big 12 but I guarantee they are still talking to them just in case. The ball is in the Arizona schools court and I think they would much rather be in a west coast centric league if at all possible. If the pac 12 can get a tv deal in the same ballpark as the big 12s I think they'll stick together until the big ten decides to expand again.

The SEC has a couple great teams at the top of the conference which isn't unusual for them. They still have a ways to go if they want to match the big 10s depth. A SEC-B1G challenge would be a mismatch still.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Colorado would happily go back to the Big XII. The schools primarily responsible for them fleeing west are gone soon and the primary schools that made the Pac-12 attractive are on their way out the door. They do consider themselves closer in spirit to the NoCal schools & UDub.

It is going to take a magic trick by the new Pac-12 commish to get any long term commitments from the Four Corners schools. Status quo is fine but if either of the super conferences poach Stanford, Oregon or Washington then all bets are off. Warren tried but clearly got frustrated and left.

I still think the next round of realignment is more likely to be among the G5 and FCS ranks. Current alliances make little sense outside of the MAC. And the money is not significant enough to justify current alignments. The WAC-ASUN announcement could force some strong decisions from NCAA leadership that could either lead to ballooning G5 or reorganizing the division. With the exception of the Montana/Dakota schools, the cupboard is fairly bare among potential FCS move-ups.
LUOrange liked this
By Ill flame
Colorado would happily go back only if the pac 12 eventually becomes untenable, otherwise they would have already jumped to the big 12 by now. I think they would much rather be associated with those hyper liberal west coast schools.

The only two G5 conferences that don't make sense geographically are C-USA and AAC. As long as the AAC has a significantly better tv deal than the other G5s, those teams will be happy to ignore the geography. It makes sense on paper to realign the G5s based on geography but it's been talked about for years with no real traction. The only thing imo that would force a massive realignment of the southern G5s is the sunbelt east splitting off and inviting WKU, MTSU, ECU and/or Charlotte to create that mythical eastern g5 but that seems unlikely.
By tyndal23
We can’t beat mediocre G5 teams, so cancel and schedule harder...makes sense. Except for independent Army. I can’t imagine any ACC head coach excited to prepare for Army.

Wonder if Hugh Freeze hadn’t consistently talked about LU as a G5 level, the school scheduled 6 P5’s and did a P5 budget from day 1 of FBS, would we have been lumped in with G5 or gotten the Army Exemption? There aren’t a lot of options for ACC geographically except for SEC - not sure the AD’s are excited about giving up regional G5 “ pretty sure wins” for SEC games or traveling for Big 12 and Big 10 matchups that are harder wins. Doesn’t sound smart with expanded Playoff.

Wondering if rest of a Conferences follow suit and P5 / G5 is separated even further.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
All the ACC commissioner wants to do is kiss up to Notre Dame. If confronted about his message to ACC schools, he would probably do a tap dance that would make NCAA football playoff selection committee chairman look honest. I don't think other P5 conference will follow ACC's lead.
By Ill flame
The ACC is following the B1G and SECs lead. I think the only P5 now that semi regularly plays G5s on the road is the pac 12 and its only a matter of time before they stop doing that.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
"Guidance" means that it is a commish who is generally regarded as perhaps the poorest in major college sports is making a suggestion. Ultimately the schools will do as they please.

With the fairly recent moves by UVa, UNC & Duke to push us off their slates, the only remaining ACC team scheduled to come to Williams Stadium remains the Hokies in 2030. A great deal can happen in that period of time.
LUOrange liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
This is a sign of desperation by a league practically circling the drain right now. With their Comcast financial disaster (!?!) combined with the two tentpoles for the league headed to the Rust Belt, their new commissioner is desperate to try to save the union.

Dallas delivers the DFW market about as well as Rice delivers Houston. In other words, not at all. It is a small rich kids school whose attendance is similar to ours in spite of being in a football hotbed in the heart of a Top 5 metro. While its undergrad is very well regarded, they are not a research institution along the lines of the rest of the Pac-12 holdovers. My guess is Stanford, Cal & UDub are less likely to throw up in their mouth over SMU than the Boise States and San Diego States of the world. The latter is obviously needed to to anchor SoCal.

They still have no progress on a TV deal which looks like it will be led by Apple and/or Amazon Prime. Let that soak on you for a moment. Revenues and brand awareness are about to drop per school no matter how hard the new commish works it. I still believe the Four Corners Four (4C4) ultimately join the Big XII. This is like watching a traffic accident in slow motion waiting for the impact.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

If Cleveland isn't in gym everyday working on addi[…]

This right here. You think most of the out[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/1782[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. That's w[…]