If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: July 21st, 2021, 7:47 pm ...that would open up opportunity in the AAC and it is not crazy talk that we could be in contention.
Sly, I like how you think. :shock: Study :clapping
LU 57 liked this
By BlueBlood
If UT and OU leave the BXII, I don't see a lot of difference between the BXII and the AAC. Its almost like the two conferences should just realign - with WVU moving east to the AAC and SMU/UH/Tulsa moving west to the BXII.
By cruzan_flame13
Moving up will mean paying fees for the conference and building up to a standard that characterize the conference. Do Coastal and App State have the finances to do this? I'm just speaking hypothetically by the way.
By cruzan_flame13
cruzan_flame13 wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 2:37 pm Moving up will mean paying fees for the conference and building up to a standard that characterize the conference. Do Coastal and App State have the finances to do this? I'm just asking hypothetically by the way.
By tyndal23
cruzan_flame13 wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 2:38 pm
cruzan_flame13 wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 2:37 pm Moving up will mean paying fees for the conference and building up to a standard that characterize the conference. Do Coastal and App State have the finances to do this? I'm just asking hypothetically by the way.
I don’t think any of them can even afford whatever penalty fee is to leave their conference...
By tyndal23
But honestly ( from an athletic stance ) Nebraska hates Big 10 and they may have just enough juice to come to Big 12 and keep remaining schools together. The revenue drop alone will keep their prez from letting them leave...Houston TV market would help if they brought them in, and their fan base has potential to grow, just isn’t there yet. The only good thing is from a competitive standpoint it is a seat at the playoff for conference winner ( most likely )
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I live in the Houston TV market and worked in TV sports in it for a very long period time. UH does not deliver the Houston market any more than TCU or SMU deliver DFW. The most popular college teams in Houston are:

1A/1B: Texas/Texas A&M
3. LSU
4. UH
5. OU/Okie State/Texas Tech/Rice/HBU/TSU/PVAMU/Sam Houston/SFA/Texas State

And #5 are so inconsequential that most Houstonians barely recognize their existence unless they are an alumnus. And in the Metroplex, OU would easily be the 3rd most popular team ahead of TCU, SMU, UTA, UNT & Baylor.

Nebraska returning to the Big XII is the most likely scenario. Mizzou only wanted to get out of same league as Texas because of inequity. UT wouldn't be the proverbial bull in the china shop in the SEC. I agree that they preferred the B1G over the SEc back in the day but Delaney was obsessed with markets for TV contracts during the last expansion and St. Louis/KC couldn't compete with NYC/DC. Of course we now recognize the foolishness of basing conference decisions on markets. Can I hear a witness, CUSA?

Football drives realignment so Kansas may be more likely to land in the Pac-12 than the B1G. In fact, the Pac-12 could be a major player picking the Big XII clean by taking Texas Tech, Oklahoma State & maybe even TCU. I feel bad for AAU member Iowa State. They likely would be left out in the cold with Baylor, K-State and TCU under most scenarios unless the B1G did take them and the Jayhawks as an unlikley fallback Western Expansion. The Cornhuskers would lobby hard against the Cyclones entry and would likely have support from Nebraska & Minnesota (and maybe Illinois) if both were still voting members.

I could see Missouri jumping to B1G if there was an opening. The SEC has no exit fees. If the B1G wants to go even heavier they could invite the core publics of the ACC as a group: UVa, VT, UNC, NCSU, Clemson and possibly GT & FSU. With enough members they could null & void the Grant of Rights handcuffs the league imposed in their survival mode during last realignment. Speaking of GoR, the Horns & Sooners still have 3 seasons left on their own contract. But I suspect it won't be an impediment. UT has leverage in scheduling non-conference football & basketball with Big XII schools moving forward. Most of those schools make up a large portion fo their annual gate revenue of super-pricing on the UT game every season. So even the Iowa States & Kansases would likely bow to Austin's will. And it could be in all oftheir best interests to be free agents should they also want to bolt to Pac-12, B1G or even the ACC.

LSU has its largest alumni association outside of Baton Rouge in Houston due to the energy business. An annual game at NRG Stadium between the Horns & Tigers would keep UT from having to schedule games at Rice moving forward. UT has a long time issue with UH so that don't play each other unless forced to by NCAA Playoffs/Tourneys.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Missouri and Nebraska need to go back to the Big XII it only makes sense. But the Big XII is a shell if Texas and Oklahoma leave
By tyndal23
Purple Haize wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 3:51 pm Missouri and Nebraska need to go back to the Big XII it only makes sense. But the Big XII is a shell if Texas and Oklahoma leave
TCU,Baylor,TTU,KSU

Add:
Houston,UCF,Cinci,Memphis

Liberty,BYU ( football only if that helps )

If I am Ian I would take the lead, call BYU and reach out jointly to those schools. The rest are gone most likely...this is a noticeable step up for the top AAC schools and maybe keeps the remaining Big 12 members in a conference that can get a playoff berth. Kansas may also stay, that is legit good hoops league and actually as good as ACC ( Clemson excluded ) in football top to bottom.
By Ill flame
The more I think about it I think the B1G will continue to go east this round of realignment and pick up north Carolina and Virginia. Both schools have elite academics which is a prerequisite above all else and they are both competitive in football and basketball. As much as football is king the big ten is the only conference that doesn't specialize in one or the other like the acc and sec.

West Virginia to the acc would seem inevitable at that point and create plenty of possibilities with the big 12 and acc fighting for aac members.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 4:58 pm The more I think about it I think the B1G will continue to go east this round of realignment and pick up north Carolina and Virginia. Both schools have elite academics which is a prerequisite above all else and they are both competitive in football and basketball. As much as football is king the big ten is the only conference that doesn't specialize in one or the other like the acc and sec.

West Virginia to the acc would seem inevitable at that point and create plenty of possibilities with the big 12 and acc fighting for aac members.
The ACC would grab UConn before they'd go after WVU. Temple may also be a potential target for the ACC should they need to add members.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 5:08 pm
Ill flame wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 4:58 pm The more I think about it I think the B1G will continue to go east this round of realignment and pick up north Carolina and Virginia. Both schools have elite academics which is a prerequisite above all else and they are both competitive in football and basketball. As much as football is king the big ten is the only conference that doesn't specialize in one or the other like the acc and sec.

The ACC would grab UConn before they'd go after WVU. Temple may also be a potential target for the ACC should they need to add members.
Yeah, we joke about it but WVU’s standing as a research institution in the Academic World doesn’t help it They are a perfect fit for the B1G baring that one issue
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
For the B1G, AAU membership is a very big deal.

I am not sure I buy Arkie resistance to arguably their biggest rivalry opportunities. I can maybe see LSU being nervous but Arkansas ...

Of course SumItUp is closer to the Hoggies than I am both geographically and in connections.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 5:18 pm
Yeah, we joke about it but WVU’s "standing" as a "research institution" in the "Academic World"
:lol: :rofl :lol:
Big brother is known more for its 'shine and single wides than its scholarship and labs.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 6:35 pm
Purple Haize wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 5:18 pm
Yeah, we joke about it but WVU’s "standing" as a "research institution" in the "Academic World"
:lol: :rofl :lol:
Big brother is known more for its 'shine and single wides than its scholarship and labs.
Could be worse. Could be Marshall
By tyndal23
Looks like super conferences are going to happen. Good news, LU will have a seat at the table, just a different table in that “G5” and the few Left out current P5 will create their own subdivision and move toward a playoff system of their own and the bowls will be dead. ( that’s what should happen ).
By Ill flame
tyndal23 wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 7:17 pm Looks like super conferences are going to happen. Good news, LU will have a seat at the table, just a different table in that “G5” and the few Left out current P5 will create their own subdivision and move toward a playoff system of their own and the bowls will be dead. ( that’s what should happen ).
I don't think this is gonna happen. Long term I think these super conferences will start splitting in half like the WAC did. Either based on geography or success.

For example what's stopping Alabama, LSU, Texas, Florida, Georgia, auburn, Tennessee, A&M and Oklahoma splitting off from the relative dead weight in the SEC and inviting Clemson? That contract would be unrivaled and only be split 10 ways instead of 16.

"Well why would Clemson do that if they have an easy path to a championship now?" Eventually they wouldn't be able to keep up with the resources the new SEC would have. They are already throwing all of their money at football. Schools keep getting more and more greedy to "keep up with the Joneses", I could definitely see a conference try to pull this off like the MWC did back in the day.
This year's men’s basketball?

I have no interest in a 6' 8 guard or a 7' forward[…]

NMSU

You Green-McKay haters keep saying we need c[…]

Charlotte

Charlotte comes to Liberty Wednesday, for a 4:00 p[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

This past weekend I saw my neighbor at HEB.