If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
I saw an article that San Diego State was in discussions with the PAC-12. I have no idea if anything is imminent or how serious the talks are.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
First off, Gonzaga would likely be coming to Big XII in some sort of package deal. They would either join with another non-football hoops power or be tied to a football-only addition (aka Boise State).

San Diego State has long been the obvious addition for the Pac 12 and speculation there has been present since the USC/UCLA announcement. Unfortunately there are no other obvious additions ... except for non-football Gonzaga.
By Ill flame
San Diego St makes a lot of sense for the pac 12. It's in a big market, they are always competitive and they have a new stadium. The biggest issue is there is no obvious 12th team. Fresno st has a big (for G5) fanbase, is usually competitive but their market isn't really that big although it isn't small either. Boise st is still one of the better programs in the mwc but they aren't the boise st of yore. Even if you include all of Idaho as their market they have a market significantly smaller than San Diego. Plus I'm not even getting into the academics part of the equation.

If they are willing to significantly expand their footprint into Texas I guess SMU and Rice would also be half way decent fits. I think the pac 10 stays put but is looking at every option for the tv contract.
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
It's crazy that a conference foe can cancel a game is with BYU when the conference itself said it didn't find any substance to the allegations. What is BYU to do....and I posted this just because I could see something like this happening to us.
By Ill flame
It was a forfeit so byu gets the win regardless. They knew they were going to get blown out and took it as an opportunity to virtue signal. I don't understand why though. This just makes them look like quiters.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
That is true, but no school should be able to pick and choose who they play in conference. Pacific should have been ordered to play the game, and if they refused kick them out of the league.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Clarksville (TN) Leaf-Chronicle wrote:Austin Peay's Gerald Harrison wants Govs in FBS football by 2025. Here's the plan

George Robinson
Clarksville Leaf-Chronicle

Austin Peay football is in the beginning stages of making the transition to the Football Bowl Subdivision, athletics director Gerald Harrison announced Friday.

Harrison outlined an ambitious plan during Friday's winter Board of Trustees meeting that mirrors the recent steps taken by Jacksonville State and Kennesaw to shift away from the FCS and jump to the highest level of the sport.

"We're trying to follow the university's strategic plan of being bold," Harrison said. "If you're not going to be bold, then why do it? I don't want to run from Clarksville. This is our home. We want everyone here to take pride in it.
Click Here for Full Story

Of course, there is the issue of getting an FBS invitation unless they file for an exemption like we did. That may be tough to pull off at this stage.
ballcoach15 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 5:31 pm Evidently 2 D1 subdivisions isn't enough. It's time for another split
It will probably happen. It’s that way in a de facto manner already with P5 G5 and FCS
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
That would be awesome! I’ve always feel that baseball would be perfect for it
thepostman liked this
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Under existing rules, this football-only concept is not possible. But with the new by-laws that are about to be written, nothing is off the table. That is what these schools counting on.
By Ill flame
tyndal23 wrote: December 10th, 2022, 1:56 pm Anyone else catch this? “ master plan for 50k residential students....is that a quip or is it real? That would get us in P5 discussions.

https://www.liberty.edu/champion/2022/1 ... 00-online/
That goal is lofty. That campus is going to look like Manhattan by the time they are done with it apparently. Even among the P5 schools 50,000 would be big.
By cruzan_flame13
tyndal23 wrote: December 10th, 2022, 1:56 pm Anyone else catch this? “ master plan for 50k residential students....is that a quip or is it real? That would get us in P5 discussions.

Not how slow things are getting done. At least it feels that way. LU has the land to expand to more dorms, schools (based on majors), other academic facilities plus commercial opportunities. If it's Christian, it ought to be better right? GCU got the idea and it worked so why haven't we continued that position instead of focusing only on growing football? I don't think adding one dorm will help with the influx. I forgot, the Falwell Center must be top priority!
Last edited by cruzan_flame13 on December 10th, 2022, 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LUOrange liked this
By tyndal23
cruzan_flame13 wrote: December 10th, 2022, 7:07 pm

Not how slow things are getting done. At least it feels that way. LU has the land to expand to more dorms, schools (based on majors), other academic facilities plus commercial opportunities. If it's Christian, it ought to be better right? GCU got the idea and it worked so why haven't we continued that position instead of focusing only on growing football? I don't think adding one dorm will help with the influx. I forgot, the Falwell Center must be top priority!
Well to be fair, JR stated he was capping at 16k. Prevo is now saying they are working on a Master Plan for 50k. Something changed pretty dramatically in the thought process.
cruzan_flame13 liked this
By Ill flame
Was that enrollment cap from JR meant to be permanent or temporary? Considering the timing when prevo took over, we may now be seeing plans that were delayed due to covid. It's also a one off mention made to a student newspaper so I'm not sure how serious they are about that master plan. Even if they were aggressive with expansion it would take decades to reach 50,000 on campus.
NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]

Oh, the Great Unwashed ... alumni of the Universit[…]