If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By cruzan_flame13
thepostman wrote: January 30th, 2021, 12:26 am I have a basketball bias so clearly this is why I love this move but positioning our football and basketball programs well is far more important for the growth of our athletic program in the long term than staying in the ASun for the other sports.

That is my opinion anyways.
We all know that this is a fact rather than an 'opinion.' Only person who is 100% not for it is ballcoach and we know his reason :lol: . I think he'll get over it when the ladies make it to post season play back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to...well you get the point :D .
thepostman liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote: January 29th, 2021, 11:21 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: January 29th, 2021, 7:25 pm With the vision many have for Liberty Athletics, I don't think playing ODU and Charlotte are what they have in mind. (Nor A-10 schools)
The vision has been the same since 1971. However, there are steps along the way, and the A-10 is a good step along the way
Until recent years, the A-10 would have been a step . But with the success of most all sports at LU, A-10 no longer is on the stairway to athletic heaven.
Last edited by ballcoach15 on January 30th, 2021, 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 30th, 2021, 6:22 am
ATrain wrote: January 29th, 2021, 11:21 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: January 29th, 2021, 7:25 pm With the vision many have for Liberty Athletics, I don't think playing ODU and Charlotte are what they have in mind. (Nor A-10 schools)
The vision has been the same since 1971. However, there are steps along the way, and the A-10 is a good step along the way
Until recent years, the A-10 would have been a step . But with the success of most all sports at LU, A-10 no longer is on the stairwell to athletic heaven.
It's stairway, not stairwell. :roll:

As has been stated by others, your position on this is unique. FYI, by definition, unique does not mean simply unusual. It means you are all alone.

I get it that you prioritize softball to a level no one else here does. I also get it that you despise anything/place North of Madison Heights. I certainly understand why, given those 2 things, you enjoy softball road trips to Florida. None of that means a move to a conference like the A-10 would not be a step up for Liberty's athletic program, and it's fans as a whole. IMHO, there is even an argument it would be better for softball. Yes, the ASUN is stronger in that sport. How did that work out for us in 2019? With Dot's commitment to scheduling ridiculously tough in pre-conference, we are going to have plenty of opportunity to challenge our players and prepare them for possible post season play. It's a simple fact that in the A-10, it will be a much easier path to get there.

The A-10 is a HUGE step up in basketball; both men's and women's. For the vast majority of fans, MBB is at least their #2 priority after football. For quite a few it is #1. In all sports, travel distances would be dramatically reduced, decreasing costs and allowing way more fans to go to away games.

You are entitled to your preferences, but IMHO you are way off base to say they are what is best for Liberty's athletic teams and their fans.
By LUOrange
Unfortunately and obviously, our joining the A10 at this point is wishful thinking. However, in my opinion, there are some obvious truths. The A10 would give us 5-7 known and solid rivals all within a 4 hour and easy drive away. Also, long term A10 or Big East and football Indy is sustainable. I don't think ASUN and football Indy is.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 30th, 2021, 12:03 pm Liberty should never even acknowledge there's an A-10 conference. It's not a good conference.
You're right. It's not a good conference, it's a VERY good conference. Playing Richmond, VCU, George Mason, Davidson, and others will be great for both of our basketball teams.
Purple Haize, thepostman, LUOrange and 2 others liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Ballcoach would have to admit he is on an island by himself on this one and I don't see that happening. Luckily ballcoach isn't the one making athletic decisions.

Of course the A10 idea is just a pipe dream at this point.
ATrain liked this
By cruzan_flame13
thepostman wrote: January 31st, 2021, 11:22 am Ballcoach would have to admit he is on an island by himself on this one and I don't see that happening. Luckily ballcoach isn't the one making athletic decisions.

Going FBS was a pipe dream at one time and it came unexpected. Let's hope this is the 2nd of 3 opportunities of LU athletics growth on a national scale (3rd opportunity will be an invite in a P5 :D 8) ).
thepostman, ATrain liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
There are probably people "higher up" than me, who feel the same as I do about A10.
When making decisions, AD has to do what's best for entire department, not just basketball.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 31st, 2021, 3:31 pm There are probably people "higher up" than me, who feel the same as I do about A10.
When making decisions, AD has to do what's best for entire department, not just basketball.
Yes, whats best financially for the entire department. Bigger TV deals for basketball with a greater chance at winning a game or two in the tournament plus less travel for non-revenue sports has a greater financial benefit than being in a strong baseball or softball conference.
thepostman, cruzan_flame13, Baybird and 3 others liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: January 31st, 2021, 11:22 am Ballcoach would have to admit he is on an island by himself on this one and I don't see that happening. Luckily ballcoach isn't the one making athletic decisions.

I admit it is still a long shot, but the A10 of today is different than the one that existed when we first tried to move up to D-I and were begging for any conference to take us.
thepostman liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 31st, 2021, 3:31 pm There are probably people "higher up" than me, who feel the same as I do about A10.
I highly doubt there is a single person in our athletics administration who thinks the A-10 is "not a good conference".

You have read multiple reasons here why it would have advantages for ALL sports. I have even given a valid argument it would be better in some ways for our softball team. Of course, none of that matters, because no Florida trips for ballcoach.
ATrain liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
There is validity to the geographic component of this discussion. There is not only proximity to consider but also fertility. A league where we would essentially be the southernmost member (or at least in the vicinity) has impact on where we have the greatest opportunity to attract students. It is not a deal-breaker but certainly worthy of thought.

The curious aspect of this discussion is that after decades of fruatrations to get into leagues that public members of the A-10 would likely be our biggest advocates for inclusion among current membership. Let that sink in for a moment.
ATrain liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Over on the CSN College Realignment Board in a discussion of the ODU-Charlotte to A-10 rumor, a Marshall poster who actually does have a decent track record spilling secrets from MU Board of Trustees posted this little wrinkle that may be closer to where the rumors stand:
MUHERD76 wrote:Hello my friends.....yes, it has been a long time. 04-cheers Remember me? For the long time posters around here, they might remember. I'm the one who broke the news on ODU, Charlotte and others joining CUSA during the CUSA expansion days long before it was officially announced. Well..... I have heard some other interesting news in recent months. Here we go.

I'm hearing A-10 is looking to sponsor FBS football with at least a couple of current existing members moving on to other conferences to free up the space needed. It's one of the main reasons the A-10 only signed a 3-year deal recently with ESPN instead of the typical long term 8 year type deals they normally do. Four schools that are currently locked in on the idea are Marshall, ODU, Charlotte and Western Kentucky and potentially a "Football Only" that was not named.

Full Member Football A-10:

1. UMASS
2. Marshall
3. ODU
4. Western Kentucky
5. Charlotte

The other schools I'm hearing is in the mix to round out the 8-9 team football conference are some current Mac schools (Ohio, Buffalo, Northern Illinois, Toledo). When its all said and done, it could be a 20 team conference. Largest in the country. That's a lot of schools for basketball but I suppose there are options to make that happen. All four (Marshall/ODU/WKU/Charlotte) have good basketball facilities and support. Would be a huge hit to CUSA and the Mac but a big boost to the A-10 after some of the dead weight is removed. Up to three A-10 schools on the way out from what I hear (Fordham/LaSalle) and potentially someone else. Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.
In follow-up posts he mentioned that football-onlys would likely be us and/or UConn with the whole shebang coming together for 2023 or 2024. Pure speculation but intrguing concept nonetheless. It likely would require the A10 being willing to dump Fordham and the Philly Trio. I am not sure that current members have the stomach for that part of the equation. And the MAC concept makes no sense. But there it is.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: January 31st, 2021, 3:48 pm
I highly doubt there is a single person in our athletics administration who thinks the A-10 is "not a good conference".

You have read multiple reasons here why it would have advantages for ALL sports. I have even given a valid argument it would be better in some ways for our softball team. Of course, none of that matters, because no Florida trips for ballcoach.
I will research department thoughts on A-10, at first available opportunity. The A-10 might be "good", but not good for LU. Regardless of conference, LU will still go to Florida for early season games. I made hotel reservations yesterday for next weekend. (Making them for Tuscaloosa today or tomorrow.)
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
You are correct in saying that softball will still play in some pre-conference tournaments in "sunny climes", as they always have, but please don't try to tell us that your ASUN love is not largely based on road trips to FL (and now AL) for conference games.
ATrain liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I believe most would rather take a road trip to Jacksonville or Fort Myers, than to St. Bonaventure or Fordham. (St. Louis and Davidson are only 2 schools in A-10 that I would enjoy a road trip to).

For the record, there is no one who attends as many LU athletic events yearly as me. In 2019, I believe I attended 79 games. (football, basketball (M/W), baseball, softball)
LUOrange liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 12:43 pm I believe most would rather take a road trip to Jacksonville or Fort Myers, than to St. Bonaventure or Fordham. (St. Louis and Davidson are only 2 schools in A-10 that I would enjoy a road trip to).

For the record, there is no one who attends as many LU athletic events yearly as me. In 2019, I believe I attended 79 games. (football, basketball (M/W), baseball, softball)
Nice try with the St Bonnie/Fordham references. There are several A-10 matchups against attractive opponents within easy driving distance. You happen to be in a very unusual position to have the time and flexibility to be able to make those long ASUN road trips. You are pretty much alone in that, but don't get me wrong, it still takes a big commitment, and that is to be commended.
ATrain liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Interesting Op-Ed perspective from EKU beat writer on decision to move to ASUN:
Richmond Register wrote:OPINION: BURNING LIKE A FLAME - EKU following Liberty's path to FBS Football

Nathan Hutchinson
sports@richmondregister.com

I was asked the same question by several people in the past few days.

"Why did EKU leave the OVC?"

Each time, I quickly and emphatically offered up a one-word answer.

"Football," I replied.

My response drew a rather puzzled reaction almost every time.
Click Here for Full Story
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]