If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By LUOrange
Who are the FCS call-ups they're negotiating with? the CNSbbs board is speculating Delaware. Who are the other Mid-Atlantic FCS's CUSA was looking at? Would we advocate for any of our recent ASUN newbies? Also Tarleton State is a hard pass. I don't know about this...
By tyndal23
Longshots wrote: October 28th, 2021, 9:45 pm Ya know what? Winning a conference championship and then playing in a bowl game is better than nothing. We could win CUSA every year. Gotta start somewhere.
How much would it cost to demolish our new upper deck and take our capacity back down to 19k ? And maybe some tarps for the other 8k additional empty seats for Conference USA home games ?
TallyW, Liberty22 liked this
By Ill flame
I just can't imagine a scenario where this could be better than independence. Even if they have 8 teams so we only have to play 7 conference games, make it so that whoever earns the ncaa tournament pool money gets to keep most of it instead of splitting it evenly, sign essentially an "exposure deal" with espn to maximize the number of games on TV, guarantee that nearly all conference games on ESPN feature us and guarantee we get a share of those exit fees, I just don't think it would be worth it.
TallyW, Liberty22 liked this
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
I can't imagine being in a division that requires Olympic sports traveling more than 1,000 miles. I think I'd pass. I'd rather live on an island than in the projects.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Longshots wrote: October 28th, 2021, 9:54 pm
ballcoach15 wrote:If we go to CUSA, all our non conference games should be Power 5 opponents.
It may be the Coors Lights talking but I agree with you BC
I'm sipping Woodford Reserve, but I'm also in agreement here
ballcoach15, Longshots liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Longshots wrote: October 28th, 2021, 9:47 pm And after the last 48 hours let's be happy with anyone wanting to associate with us.
Honestly, ASUN and football independence sounds better than us being in CUSA for all sports...UNLESS UConn men's bball also joins CUSA, in which case then its crazy enough to just might work
Just John liked this
By Ill flame
Technically c-usa could add liberty and the top 2 non football playing schools available to meet the minimum requirement of 8 schools in all sports and still sponsor football with 6 football playing members. Only playing 5 conference games would be the best case scenario for us (still not interested) but I doubt the other schools would enjoy scheduling 7 nonconference games a year.
By rtb72
Would Marshall consider staying if we joined CUSA? While I know their FCS....Sam Houston State is no cupcake football program I would imagine they could be very competitive and could make some recruiting gains as FBS and build on what they've already got going down there. If those are added and we utilize our flexibility with OC games playing P5s....

I'm just thinking CUSA rebuild could have some legs if those initial developments were to come to fruition...
By Racenut
Registration Days Posts
LU 57 wrote: October 28th, 2021, 2:41 pm Support for HCHF is nearly universal on this board, with one notable exception.

Questioning an intra-game decision, or pointing out poor play here and there does not equate to “trash(ing) what has been happening on the mountain”.

Just feel like your fire is a little too broad-based at times.
I Plead guilty. I will admit to making too much of an emotional investment in my favorite sports teams in general. I have gulped a good amount of the Kool-Aid. This board needs me though as each one of you can go overboard occasionally and still be able to say "at least I'm not as fanatic as that guy". Did not mean to indict the whole board, just started to feel like a pile on. Thanks for your indulgence.
LU 57 liked this
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
We could become the Gonzaga of CUSA. But with football. I'm 50/50 on this. We would have bowl access and isnt the asun supposed to do the ccsa spilt in 2023...so....have to weigh all the options and really think about it.
By Racenut
Registration Days Posts
Nothing wrong with a loosely worded scheduling agreement with some of the teams left over from C-USA. That could be equally beneficial to both parties, but labeling Liberty as a C-USA football program is a step down for many of the reasons already stated. As stated in the Athletic article, the mileage between schools for all other sports is tough to justify with additional costs, a conference buy-in and no increase in profile. Western Kentucky in basketball and maybe La Tech in football notwithstanding.
By lawdawg2002
Part of me thinks that LU needs to catch their breathe and get their house in order before they tie themselves to a conference, but I also love the conference races and bowl tie ins. I really enjoy the conference race my other favorite team is in every year. (Look at the top of the polls if you want to know which team it is.)

I don't know how long they are set to last, but CUSA has some pretty good ones for their level. I just don't see how the travel for non-football works.
ATrain liked this
By tyndal23
Racenut wrote: October 28th, 2021, 11:51 pm Nothing wrong with a loosely worded scheduling agreement with some of the teams left over from C-USA. That could be equally beneficial to both parties, but labeling Liberty as a C-USA football program is a step down for many of the reasons already stated. As stated in the Athletic article, the mileage between schools for all other sports is tough to justify with additional costs, a conference buy-in and no increase in profile. Western Kentucky in basketball and maybe La Tech in football notwithstanding.
My initial reaction aligns with yours. However, IF the Playoff expands and Near Term, say we had 2 - P5 wins, wins over 1-2 other G5 conference champs,style points in conference games, it isn’t far fetched to be highest ranked G5. ( UCF, Houston, Cincinnati are now P5 ). Actually odds are better now that AAC is much weaker and logical that those G5 teams beat each other out from undefeated or 1- loss seasons. One other aspect is there will be 3-4 less Indie teams to plug holes in scheduling. I still lean Indie IF we embrace it and go BYU level, but if we are going HF model and just trying to make a bowl every year for eternity - then even a crappy conference will pay off earlier.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I'd rather stay independent or even go Sun Belt (I know that isn't an option) than form a league with bad independent schools and CUSA leftovers. If for some reason we do go that route than yes we would need to make an effort of schedule 3 or 4 P5 games which would also be difficult considering our recent modest success.
Baybird, Liberty22 liked this
By lawdawg2002
They won't, I'm just wondering how long they are contractually bound to. I have actually been to the New Orleans Bowl and I know the fans and players from the team I was there with really enjoyed themselves.

I still lean toward staying independent until everything is correctly dealt with, but it wouldn't take much to convince me personally.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: October 29th, 2021, 6:31 am No guarantee all CUSA’s bowl tie-in’s stick around.
I was thinking same thing. Bowls might take CUSA slots and give them to crummy 6-6 Sun Belt and AAC teams.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]