If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By tyndal23
LUOrange wrote: February 18th, 2023, 6:01 pm
ATrain wrote: February 18th, 2023, 4:24 pm Fresno State now flirting with the Big 12:

https://www.fresnobee.com/sports/colleg ... 39895.html
It would be nice if we were flirting with the B12 as well. Ugly chicks deserve to dance too.
Just a head fake - he is one step ahead of PAC 12 at every turn...I hope PAC survives giving LU time to gain ground rather than everything blowing up right now - but not looking good.
By Ill flame
I agree. The more movement that happens now can only hurt us since we are still pretty undesirable. The exception being SMU moving up to the pac 12 since they are poised to be tough competition as a top G5 with their NIL money. At a minimum I would want to be R2 with a few conference championships under our belt before any P5 conferences start falling apart. It would also be nice to have a few years of being semi regularly televised not only to increase exposure and hopefully improve the fanbase but optimistically it would give other conferences more data on whether or not we are a national draw compared to the other schools they may consider.
By cruzan_flame13
Ill flame wrote: February 18th, 2023, 10:08 pm I agree. The more movement that happens now can only hurt us since we are still pretty undesirable. The exception being SMU moving up to the pac 12 since they are poised to be tough competition as a top G5 with their NIL money. At a minimum I would want to be R2 with a few conference championships under our belt before any P5 conferences start falling apart. It would also be nice to have a few years of being semi regularly televised not only to increase exposure and hopefully improve the fanbase but optimistically it would give other conferences more data on whether or not we are a national draw compared to the other schools they may consider.
I niece the next Carnegie classification field study is coming up in 2024 or 2025. We're suppose to appoint the next president by this year. Not sure if LU can qualify for the next round.
By Ill flame
I believe they use data that is a year or two old so they will probably use data from this year for the 2024 classification making it very unlikely to happen. It's the 2027 reclassification that I'm really hoping we aim for. That would put us in a much better position just in time for the 2029-2030 realignment cycle.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
San Diego State and SMU are basic locks for the Pax-12, Rice is out "for now," The B1G doesn't want Stanford, Corner 4 continue flirting with Big 12, and Gonzaga appears to be in play as well:

https://mwwire.com/2023/02/18/pac-12-un ... n-process/
https://247sports.com/Article/Pac-12-ex ... 204938511/
https://www.si.com/college/stanford/foo ... ure-pac-12
https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 914586007/
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
My honest take based on the leaks is that the 4 Corners schools will land in Big XII with whom they share much greater connection than the Pac leftovers. That opens up the Big XII package as a truly coast-to-coast league like the B1G just with significantly less pop. If the 4C4 bolt .... yeah, we work toward the three super conference situation with two "dead man walking" leagues in the Pac & ACC.

I believe we were positioning ourselves well for the ACC GoR to expires in another decade but now believe by then we will have a bigger separation between the super conferences and everyone else. Winning helps. Finances help. But preconceptions will be difficult for us to overcome. Then again, we have a history of exceeding our own expectations that goes back 50 years.
LU 57, LUOrange liked this
By Ill flame
The big 12s strategy has been pretty smart recently. If they can essentially monopolize all of the middle class P5 schools with smaller but passionate fanbases across the country there should still be enough demand from tv networks to keep them somewhat competitive with the P2.

I do think the ACC will be able to survive once Clemson, florida state, UNC, UVA and potentially Georgia tech gets poached. I don't see the P2s going after syracuse, pittsburgh, Boston College, Duke, wake forest, Virginia tech, Miami, NC state or Louisville. The ACC may be able to backfill with cincy, West Virginia, uconn and UCF without losing too much. If I'm the big 12 I'm going after Louisville, VT, Miami, Georgia tech, NC state, Pittsburgh and letting FOX and ESPN get in a bidding war over who owns the rights to the vast majority of the second tier programs.
By Ill flame
The big 12 was the ones that walked away in the first place because they didn't want to add too much dead weight. They decided they have more to gain by picking and choosing who they want from the pac 12 instead of taking on all their baggage. I wonder if they assumed Oregon and Washington would be heading to the Big Ten at the time and they feel adding them to the mix would make the merger worth it. That's the only reason I can think of that would change the big 12s mind. I just can't imagine the thought of joining a conference with BYU or Baylor would sit well with Cal or Stanford. I think they are the type of institutions that would cut off its nose to spite its face.
By tyndal23
Ill flame wrote: February 19th, 2023, 7:01 pm The big 12 was the ones that walked away in the first place because they didn't want to add too much dead weight. They decided they have more to gain by picking and choosing who they want from the pac 12 instead of taking on all their baggage. I wonder if they assumed Oregon and Washington would be heading to the Big Ten at the time and they feel adding them to the mix would make the merger worth it. That's the only reason I can think of that would change the big 12s mind. I just can't imagine the thought of joining a conference with BYU or Baylor would sit well with Cal or Stanford. I think they are the type of institutions that would cut off its nose to spite its face.
Cal and Stanford are the dissenting voices actually and may well go Indy if it comes to it. Talks are moving forward - nothing may come from it but Big 12 makes more $ and PAC is saved. Fox and ESPN tier 1 and 2 - Amazon gets some 2 and tier 3 - Amazon $ will be the difference in making it viable.
By tyndal23
Ill flame wrote: February 19th, 2023, 10:40 pm

I don't know why the big 12 would wait until SDSU and SMU joins the pac 12 to decide they want to merge.
Read his thread - claims couldn’t get the required 8 votes from member schools to add SMU/SDSU....
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
PAC 12 & ACC merger makes zero sense. Why have schools 2000-3000 miles apart ? It will create more unbalanced schedules than there are now. ACC should not even acknowledge the PAC 12 exists.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Lawyers in Florida, Virginia and the Carolinas have been trying to find a way to get out of the horrendous Grant of Rights they signed to the ACC for several years now. If they could buy their way out for that number, they would already be gone. But it is not that easy.
By Ill flame
If Florida state left in 2026 it would cost them no less than $400 million to buy out the last 10 years of their contract. Even with the massive disparity in tv revenues it won't make since to do a buyout until at least 2030. $120 million would only be enough to buy off roughly the last two or three years of their backloaded tv deal. The long GOR combined with the tv contract being back loaded was genius on the ACCs part. They are making less money overall but it still gives them time to right the ship.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
A full ACC-PAC 12 merger will not happen. This is all pure speculation, but if/when the Corner 4 bolt to the Big 12, the ACC could take Stanford, Cal, Washington, and Oregon - and maybe invite Gonzaga and/or St. Marys along to balance out Olympic sports so the only time anyone has to travel cross country is for the conference tournament. Stranger arrangements have been made in the past...
By Ill flame
Sly Fox wrote: February 24th, 2023, 7:00 pm Genius for the league office and the have nots. Sheer madness for the haves.
I agree but the haves knew the pros and cons of the deal before signing it. now they are stuck with the repercussions of that decision. Honestly I'm enjoying the chaos, its one of the best parts of college sports.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
No west coast school belongs in ACC. ACC used to be good conference, but it got watered down with addition of Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Louisville and Notre Dame. Those schools brought nothing to the conference. ACC needs to return to days of Clemson, FSU and VT carrying the flag for football, and UNC and Duke carrying flag for basketball. Baseball and softball continues to be strong.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/memp[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

What is the scouting report on Isaiah Ihnen from […]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]