If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

User avatar
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
#618747
It wouldn't be a playoff. It wouldn't add an extra game to the schedule. It would allow EVERY team to participate. It would add unexpected interest in the season.
User avatar
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
#618749
I like that idea too. Kind of like the bracket buster deal ESPN did with some schools for a few years for college basketball but instead all FBS schools would be in the pool.

I'm pretty much in favor of anything that shakes up the status quo of college football.
Purple Haize liked this
User avatar
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
#618750
...Saban has argued for a 10 SEC game season every year. He is the only SEC coach I know arguing for that.

Have every conference go to a 10 game schedule. Two games would be matched up by a committee from outside the conference. One to open the season. One towards the end. The games would NOT count against the teams for conference championships... except perhaps for tie breaker purposes.
By ballcoach15
Posts
#618799
alabama24 wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 11:07 am ...Saban has argued for a 10 SEC game season every year. He is the only SEC coach I know arguing for that.

Have every conference go to a 10 game schedule. Two games would be matched up by a committee from outside the conference. One to open the season. One towards the end. The games would NOT count against the teams for conference championships... except perhaps for tie breaker purposes.
"matched up by committee" scares me. It's like the Selection Committee Saturday night and/or Sunday morning, "there was very little integrity in that room". No matter how they try to spin it. Most think ND and Ohio State was given special consideration, not afforded other teams, simply because of $$$$ equation, not because of what happened on the field.
User avatar
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
#618910
stokesjokes wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 3:50 pm The only way that happens is if we have sustained (like 10 years) of top 25-level success in football and basketball.
Boise St just lost their coach to Auburn. We'll have see if they keep it up.
By stokesjokes
Posts
#618912
Yeah, Boise has the benefit of a tradition at this point though. They are a few coaches removed from the coach that built the program and have been able to sustain success. We’re still in the building phase. It will be nice when we get there, but we’re not there yet.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
#618918
TH Spangler wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 3:57 pm
stokesjokes wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 3:50 pm The only way that happens is if we have sustained (like 10 years) of top 25-level success in football and basketball.
Boise St just lost their coach to Auburn. We'll have see if they keep it up.
They have lost one or two coaches since their string of success
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
#618921
Purple Haize wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 7:02 pm
TH Spangler wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 3:57 pm
stokesjokes wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 3:50 pm The only way that happens is if we have sustained (like 10 years) of top 25-level success in football and basketball.
Boise St just lost their coach to Auburn. We'll have see if they keep it up.
They have lost one or two coaches since their string of success
The last 4 coaches at BSU, starting in 1998:

Dirk Koetter 26-10
Dan Hawkins 53-11
Chris Petersen 92-12
Bryan Harsin 69-18

All of them have left Boise for P5 head coaching positions
By tyndal23
Posts
#618929
And I did an in depth post 2 years ago about internal staff retention and philosophy and only one recruiting class to average 85 and the point is, where has that gotten them? No where close to LU playing a P5 heavy schedule and being considered a P5 equivalent vs a G5 team that plays 1 and occasionally 2 P5 games a year. G5 is a road to nowhere period, end of story...bypass it altogether - we are the only school able to do it.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
#618933
tyndal23 wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 11:42 pm And I did an in depth post 2 years ago about internal staff retention and philosophy and only one recruiting class to average 85 and the point is, where has that gotten them? No where close to LU playing a P5 heavy schedule and being considered a P5 equivalent vs a G5 team that plays 1 and occasionally 2 P5 games a year. G5 is a road to nowhere period, end of story...bypass it altogether - we are the only school able to do it.
Where has it gotten them? Boise St? Seriously?
By tyndal23
Posts
#618937
Purple Haize wrote: December 24th, 2020, 12:07 am
tyndal23 wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 11:42 pm And I did an in depth post 2 years ago about internal staff retention and philosophy and only one recruiting class to average 85 and the point is, where has that gotten them? No where close to LU playing a P5 heavy schedule and being considered a P5 equivalent vs a G5 team that plays 1 and occasionally 2 P5 games a year. G5 is a road to nowhere period, end of story...bypass it altogether - we are the only school able to do it.
Where has it gotten them? Boise St? Seriously?
They beat OU in 2006 and they are still in the WAC ( or whatever ) mulling a rumored invite to AAC Footbsll only invite to a conference that cries about being P56 and sneaks one team a year in to a NY6 Bowl and plays 1-2 P5 games a year and never gets taken seriously and shares a revenue TV deal 1/100th ( or whatever ) of SEC...what’s your point?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
#618950
stokesjokes wrote: December 24th, 2020, 9:04 am Boise State’s football program is held back by geography and basketball
They would fit geographically in the PAC-10, but not so much with academics and culture. Basketball is very much a secondary consideration. History shows that if your football program is ready to succeed at a higher level, basketball can elevate itself pretty quickly once the move is made.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
#618951
olldflame wrote: December 24th, 2020, 10:48 am
stokesjokes wrote: December 24th, 2020, 9:04 am Boise State’s football program is held back by geography and basketball
They would fit geographically in the PAC-10, but not so much with academics and culture. Basketball is very much a secondary consideration. History shows that if your football program is ready to succeed at a higher level, basketball can elevate itself pretty quickly once the move is made.
E
Boise Football has become very much a victim of their own success. They have a difficult time scheduling OOC especially home games. Mid level P5’s don’t wanna go to Boise to get beat. They also have a strained relationship with the PAC 10 in terms of how they are viewed academically and on the recruiting trail
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
#618954
Purple Haize wrote: December 24th, 2020, 10:54 am
olldflame wrote: December 24th, 2020, 10:48 am
stokesjokes wrote: December 24th, 2020, 9:04 am Boise State’s football program is held back by geography and basketball
They would fit geographically in the PAC-10, but not so much with academics and culture. Basketball is very much a secondary consideration. History shows that if your football program is ready to succeed at a higher level, basketball can elevate itself pretty quickly once the move is made.
E
Boise Football has become very much a victim of their own success. They have a difficult time scheduling OOC especially home games. Mid level P5’s don’t wanna go to Boise to get beat. They also have a strained relationship with the PAC 10 in terms of how they are viewed academically and on the recruiting trail
Sounds familiar.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
#618963
ballcoach15 wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 4:22 pm
aredd33 wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 3:45 pm https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ember/amp/

Boise St and AAC having discussions about BSU joining for football only.
AAC should bring in Liberty in ALL sports.
I disagree. We should ask UConn to help us get our other sports into the Big East while remaining independent in football!
User avatar
By Ill flame
Posts
#618974
AAC has 11 teams for football and basketball. I wonder what the odds of them adding boise St as a football only member and liberty for non football sports. That could be a good long term solution for everyone if boise St can join the wcc for it's non football sports.
By ballcoach15
Posts
#618980
We should never acknowledge the Big East exists. Big East might be 1 point above Big South. We have no footprint in Big East. LU's future lies in the south/southeast, not up north/northeast.
  • 1
  • 450
  • 451
  • 452
  • 453
  • 454
  • 457
ASUN Tournament

She's good, but before I'd anoint her queen, I'd h[…]

The COVID-19 Megathread

Yesterday, had a guy ask me where my mask was. Let[…]

And have you been there?! Wow.

2021 Postseason Discussion

New D1Baseball field of 64 out and I hope I'll be […]